Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

Right now I'm planning on applying to Dal, Queens, Ottawa, and UBC. McMaster, Western, and UofT are maybes.

Don't think I'm going to apply to any other schools. Mainly because of financial restrictions, but also because I don't feel I have a great shot at them.

I'm from NS so I'm only IP for Dal.

cGPA, wGPA(ottawa), best two years, and last two years all work out to a 3.96.

wGPA for UofT is a 3.98.

MCAT: 35R (14-10-11 for PS-VR-BS)

Fair amount of extras: competitive boxing and junior varsity basketball for a number of years, SMILE program leader with disabled kids, little bit of hospital volunteering doing patient visiting and meal assistance, etc. Some tutoring, TAing, volunteer tutoring. Relay for life committee for a few years. Lots of time in a research lab for an undergrad (summer after first year, second year, third year, and will be working there again after 4th year). Publication in the journal of photochemical and photobiological sciences, my honours might be getting published this year as well. Church member, deacon, part-time pianist (very small amount of piano time in church though, about 6 years of formal lessons though).

Some highschool awards I could put in the OMSAS ABS too, most outstanding grad, MVP, etc.

Still looking for a couple more things to pick up and add to it over the next while.

Any thoughts on my school list? Anything you would add or take off?

Thanks.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple questions re: verifiers

1) Since I graduated back in 2006, it will be hard for me to find certain verifiers....for example, I belonged to one club where I had an exec position, but I don't keep in touch with anyone from that club...who would I ask to be the verifier?

2) In university, I did a lot of intramural sports, and one of the teams I played on was a touch-football team which my (now) husband was a teammate of. Could I put him down as a verifier? The reason I'm asking is because I honestly don't remember anyone else who played on that team..

3) For summer jobs that I did AGES ago, who do I ask to be my verifier? Would I just give the contact info of HR to confirm that I was once an employee?

Hmmm...I'm not sure the universities HR dept will have any record me of being part of a university club...I'm pretty sure that the clubs are responsible for that...

Also...I've been involved with my family's business to varying degrees since I was 15 (even now I do work part-time for it). Do I add this as work experience?

Hey guys,

I am applying mostly in schools in Ontario. My stats are:

GPA: 3.87

MCAT PS 14 / VR 10 / BS 10 /R

I was wondering if you think its worth applying to Western since their previous cutoff for VR is 11.

Thanks

Yes, I think it is - you won't know what the cut off for 2013 will be until AFTER the application deadline and you never know, they may decrease it. With your stats, I'd risk the $75.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I should put the following down for one of the activities under the sketch. I've taken a language development course (other than English of course) as a child and continued all the way until the end of high school. Do you suggest I put it down starting from the year I began (elementary school) or should I just put it starting from age 16? Also, I'm guessing it would be listed under formal education?

Thanks! :)

First time applicant applying to just UOttawa. Pretty nervous but was told by my friends who applied to just try and sell yourself as best as possible.

wGPA: 3.73

ECs: volunteering, research, hockey, awards, the typical applicant pretty much.

Im pretty scared cause my wGPA is fairly low compared to others and I'm sure other applicants have way better ECs. I'm from Ottawa though so I do meet cutoffs.

First time applicant applying to just UOttawa. Pretty nervous but was told by my friends who applied to just try and sell yourself as best as possible.

Im pretty scared cause my wGPA is fairly low compared to others and I'm sure other applicants have way better ECs. I'm from Ottawa though so I do meet cutoffs.

Considering you meet the GPA cutoff, you should definitely apply. It's impossible to predict what will impress them when they review your sketch.

Do not be scared. My ECs were about the same as yours, minus the hockey, and I got an interview. A well-written and informative description will stand out.

For example compare a couple of my descriptions from my two application cycles:

2010 (no interview):

Description 1 - Discussed time-management and essay-writing skills to assist students taking SOC100. Work was performed via the Academic Skills Center.

Description 2 - Set-up playroom activities, games and movies to provide entertainment and help comfort younger patients.

2011 (interview granted):

Description 1 - Served as a reliable supporter for intro. sociology students by helping them adapt to new learning styles, which facilitates success in the course.

Description 2 - Assist in providing continuing care for young, vulnerable patients. I set-up activities and look after patients whose parents are temporarily absent.

The difference is pretty clear, and I do not claim to have done any more work than I actually did. I was not accepted post-interview, probably because I had a bad answer for what I did in the year between my 2 application cycles (nothing, really).

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I've been told time and time again that it's all about how well you can prove your worth in 150 characters. I know that having only 20ish things for my sketch is not that much compared to others, and I don't have NSERC awards and such, but I hope that I can some how make them look favorable at my app.

Do you guys think its worth it to apply to McMaster with a 3 year cGPA of 3.48. Taking the MCAT in Sept and I would say I'm around a 10 right now in verbal practice. Hopefully I can pull it higher. Just wondering if it makes sense with Casper re-weighted to only 32%.

I had no NSERC. I also had 22 or so things on my application including the education section, dean's honor list and a few other useless things. You are probably better than you give yourself credit for.

Thanks for the tip! I've been told time and time again that it's all about how well you can prove your worth in 150 characters. I know that having only 20ish things for my sketch is not that much compared to others, and I don't have NSERC awards and such, but I hope that I can some how make them look favorable at my app.

Archived