Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a club, I was a general member in the first year, and got more involved by being an exec member in the second. This comes under a single entry right?

Hmm..i had the same issue and actually put it as separate entries just because my roles were quite different one year to the next (more responsibilities/different experiences etc.)

Does anyone have experience with semi-drafting a reference letter for the reference writer? I've been asked to do this but am not sure exactly how to tackle it :S Any guidance would be appreciated. :)

My reference told me he just wrote it as :

RE: [Your Name]'s Application to OMSAS

To whom it may concern:

blah blah blah

Sincerely,

[Reference Writer]

Thanks Ryan, Leon, Henderson and Cass for your replies!

Anyway, I was wondering if it makes a difference listing my position as VP External Affairs instead of Publicity Officer? I know the former sounds more impressive, but really, the roles and responsibilities are identical..

Wait - are you listing VP External Affairs AND Publicity Officer as 2 different entries? What was your position formally called in your club/association? I would go with whatever it was originally called (in the event that they contact the verifier for this position and you put down a title the verifier might not recognize...)

Wait - are you listing VP External Affairs AND Publicity Officer as 2 different entries? What was your position formally called in your club/association? I would go with whatever it was originally called (in the event that they contact the verifier for this position and you put down a title the verifier might not recognize...)

Nope i'm listing it as one entry. It is called VP Publicity formally, but many other clubs call it publicity officer. Guess I should stick to VP publicity then?

Did you play in the same league or different leagues? I ask because I've been playing soccer recreationally for a while, but in a few different leagues (youth, then womens & intramurals at school) and wasn't sure if I should separate these into different activities or combine them into one. What did you do?

Lots of different leagues, I listed it all under one.

Hey guys, would you consider 200+hours of volunteering over 1 year to be average or weak? Would any of you classify this as your top 5?

Dude, i think about 250h in a year was the strongest i had. Well, technically it was 8mths through the academic year... but I definately wouldnt consider that weak

Would you guys consider winning a team sport championship as an award? My hockey team won a regional championship last year and i'm curious to know if I could put that as an award. I understand it's not an individual achievement, but it couldn't hurt right?

Hey!

My 2 cents: Winning championships is not an individual award, I always reserved the awards section for awards given to individuals like a MVP or such. Just fill that out in the description for the activity ie. competed at ____ level, wining regional championship. I listed any championships/tournaments/MVPs that were won in just one single entry for hockey under extracurriculars.

Would you guys consider winning a team sport championship as an award? My hockey team won a regional championship last year and i'm curious to know if I could put that as an award. I understand it's not an individual achievement, but it couldn't hurt right?

Hey!

My 2 cents: Winning championships is not an individual award, I always reserved the awards section for awards given to individuals like a MVP or such. Just fill that out in the description for the activity ie. competed at ____ level, wining regional championship. I listed any championships/tournaments/MVPs that were won in just one single entry for hockey under extracurriculars.

I did the opposite of this. I listed all awards I won in gymnastics in the awards section because I wanted them to stand out. I am very proud of them, and I think that team awards vs individual awards make no difference.

Regardless, I'm sure either way is fine as long as you include it

Hi Guys,

I wanted to varify some stuff about omsas.

Formal Education -> I am guessing our undergrad counts as formal education?

What about some random courses for things like computer programming that I

may have taken? --> guessing thats part of "others"?

Also, I am a bit scared because I am not sure what to put under "Awards and Accomplishments". I havn't won any explicit award so was wondering if I may have something for accomplishments? What counts as an accomplishment, Isn't that a bit subjective?

Hi Guys,

I wanted to varify some stuff about omsas.

Formal Education -> I am guessing our undergrad counts as formal education?

What about some random courses for things like computer programming that I

may have taken? --> guessing thats part of "others"?

Also, I am a bit scared because I am not sure what to put under "Awards and Accomplishments". I havn't won any explicit award so was wondering if I may have something for accomplishments? What counts as an accomplishment, Isn't that a bit subjective?

Computer programming could also go under formal education. They are not that particular about these things, and certainly would not disqualify/penalize your application.

Regarding achievements, you can put things you won in sports/science competitions or any honorable mention you received for your dedication and commitment.

If you feel like something you're putting on is subjective, then it probably will seem that way to the reviewers too, so you should try to look into others.

What do you guys think about putting a long term relationship under NAQ? I had a friend who got in UBC and he put some personal experiences/hardships on his application since it showed commitment or determination.

I've been in a relationship for 6 years with the same guy, and 3 of those years were long distance. Do you think I could put that in there? Or is that kind of silly? Did anyone else put down personal experiences/hardships?

Archived