Premed 101 Forums

Official 2012/2013 Applicant Thread

I'm not exactly sure how to fill this out since I haven't finished my degree yet- I'm going into my 4th and final year of undergrad this Sept. For dates I put Sept. 2009 to 2013 (leaving the month blank), because in the omsas pdf it says "Applicants who are currently enrolled should enter “2013” as the final “To” date."

For expected date of degree, I'm not sure what to put. I'll finish classes in Apr., but when would I actually receive the degree? Isn't it not until October or something? Anyways, any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not exactly sure how to fill this out since I haven't finished my degree yet- I'm going into my 4th and final year of undergrad this Sept. For dates I put Sept. 2009 to 2013 (leaving the month blank), because in the omsas pdf it says "Applicants who are currently enrolled should enter “2013” as the final “To” date."

For expected date of degree, I'm not sure what to put. I'll finish classes in Apr., but when would I actually receive the degree? Isn't it not until October or something? Anyways, any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I finished my classes in April, and received my degree in June during convocation then. You should do a quick check in your university's calendar to see when they usually hold the convocation ceremonies, and then put one of those dates down.

Thanks a lot! I have one more question: the transcript request is only sent in when the application is submitted, so does this mean I should submit well in advance of Oct. 1 to allow time for the transcript to be sent?

Definitely send in your transcripts in advance just in case there's an issue with it getting there. I've already sent mine in.

Is there a way to send in the transcript before finishing the overall application?

I thought the request for transcript is only sent when I submit the whole application.

WHAT HAPPENED FOR MY YEAR (DON'T QUOTE ME)...

I had transcripts to send in from universities OUTSIDE Ontario. I had those sent to OMSAS WELL BEFORE the Oct. 1 deadline - because they wanted them in by then.

I ALSO had transcripts to send in from universities WITHIN Ontario. I submitted the Transcript Request Form at the same time as submitting my OMSAS Application - and they were considered "in" on time.

I had transcripts to send in from universities OUTSIDE Ontario. I had those sent to OMSAS WELL BEFORE the Oct. 1 deadline - because they wanted them in by then.

I ALSO had transcripts to send in from universities WITHIN Ontario. I submitted the Transcript Request Form at the same time as submitting my OMSAS Application - and they were considered "in" on time.

Yeah, I'm OOP, so this makes sense based on what know. I think if you're sending within Ontario, you have to submit the transcript request form with your application.

OK, so are you saying that as long as the request is in by Oct.1 that the transcript will be considered on time? (from within Ontario) Anyone have a definitive answer to this? I guess the best thing to do is just call and ask...

Just a quick question about reference choices..

I'm having a hard time deciding between two referees for my 'volunteering/advocacy' reference. My options are as follows:

1. The director of a science outreach program I've worked with for the last year. She knows me moderately well, and we've worked together quite a bit over the year I've been with the group. She is also exposed to many students on a regular basis and can therefore compare my performance to that of many other students.

2. A staff member at a seniors program I've been working with every week for three years now. She knows me extremely well, as we've worked side by side for quite some time. My only concern here is that she has no credentials (she is the recreational therapist for the group, but only has a certificate, no degree), and I've been told in the past that references without credentials are not looked upon as fondly as those that have them.

Any thoughts on which of these I should choose? I feel like either of them would write me a good reference, but I only wonder about the weight of their respective titles.

Thanks in advance!

OK, so are you saying that as long as the request is in by Oct.1 that the transcript will be considered on time? (from within Ontario) Anyone have a definitive answer to this? I guess the best thing to do is just call and ask...

Submit the app on time and all will be well.

For transcripts that need to come in from outside Ontario - sort that out now.

A quick question about activities. There are a few things (ex: yoga, guitar) I wouldn't mind shoving onto my extracurricular activities lists but these are things I've done at a variety of different places over the course of a few years. The guitar, for example, is really something I play at home and with friends. Who should I be getting to confirm these things? A friend I've played with, or one of the many yoga studios I've attended over the years?

Anyway, I'm sure these are not make or break items to put on my application, but I would like to put them in if I can!

Thanks. :)

Hey folks,

This will be my second application round. I have a BSc in Health Science and an MA, with an ok GPA but a pretty low MCAT (low 20s). Despite this,

last year I was interviewed and waitlisted at Mac so I feel pretty good about that. I'm applying again this year but just for Mac to hope that lightening will strike twice. At the same time, I realize that my MCAT is very low, so I was thinking about re-taking the MCAT, but during this application round. I'm thinking about studying for the April 2013 dates, but also if I do happen to get in this year it would be a big time/money suck. Thoughts about hoping for the best but preparing for the worst?

For geographic location, how specific should we be? Do we write a city name (Toronto), or write the location of the activity (ie: U of T lab).

Thanks

Hi Strategy99,

For geographic location, you should write the name of the city and abbreviated province name. For example: "Toronto, ON"; "Vancouver, BC", "London, ON", etc.

Hope that helps.

Tesla

For our verifiers, it asks for address, postal code, etc. For this, OMSAS wants the work/volunteer address, correct? Not the actual verifiers home address

Can someone explain this

Unless the verifier is comfortable with giving you their home address, I think it is safe to simply put the organization that the verifier is affiliated with. For instance, if one of your verifiers is a university professor, simply put the address of the university and wherever your prof is located. Similarly, if your verifier is a volunteer coordinator, you should put the address of the organization where the verifier works.

Hope that helps.

Tesla

Archived