Premed 101 Forums

What's your religious affiliation?

What's your religious affiliation?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What's your religious affiliation?

• Atheist
    • Agnostic
    • Christian - Catholic
    • Christian - Protestant
    • Christian - Mormon, Jehovah's Witness
    • Jewish
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Other

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, there are a lot of people that do care about the religion of others.

Definitely.

Who cares who has what religion. We're all Homo sepians. And that's all that matters.

As a future physician or health care professional, its important that you are aware of the religious diversity that exists be it in your patients, colleagues or Canada as a whole.

You may not have to care per se but its important to respect it.

For me personally, I would like to see a physican that cares about my religion and makes the appropriate accomodations.

Relgion is something that means a lot to patients and since you're in charge of their care, then you SHOULD care about it.

Definitely.

As a future physician or health care professional, its important that you are aware of the religious diversity that exists be it in your patients, colleagues or Canada as a whole.

You may not have to care per se but its important to respect it.

For me personally, I would like to see a physican that cares about my religion and makes the appropriate accomodations.

Relgion is something that means a lot to patients and since you're in charge of their care, then you SHOULD care about it.

I care about it. The fact that you are asking people what Religion are you, it's sort of making discrimination isn't it? If someone comes up to me and says. Hello Doctor, I have this religion and I want to do this. I would be like sure no problem. But actively going out asking other people what religion are you, that's invasion of privacy.

Also, if there is a procedure that may invade about someone's religion, I ask the patient without directly asking what religion they are.

Some people take it offensive if you keep asking what religion are you. I know I do.

thats an awfully ideal viewpoint, i agree with aaron

perhaps, I guess I am not so sure it is.

It isn't really my job to actually decide what a patient's care is. I merely present options that are allowed under our system that would be of benefit. Then the patient decides what to do and I act on those wishes to the best of my ability. So they decide how their religion will impact their care, not me. Religion is just the tip of the iceberg really - it is just one of many personal beliefs or experiences that can impact a person's decision process. Taking a more paternalistic approach is dangerous I think.

Even knowing a person's religion is not enough - religion is a very diverse bag even among those who use the same label for themselves. I cannot assume because a person is of religion X they actually want their care adjusted in a particular way - I have to discuss all the options and get consent. What a person wants can also change as time goes on so a static picture is also not enough either. However again this is no different that any other belief - atheists that believe in a particular way are afforded no less consideration than anyone who holds a particular religious view point - and both have to pass the basic tests for being able to make decisions about their care.

I think being an Atheist is hypocritical so I just go with Agnostic.

Whichever is closest to *I dont know*.

People who say they do know make me laugh and cry at the same time.

that would be by definition agnostic :)

Although I think there is room for atheism as well - some have concluded for themselves that within their rational framework there simply aren't deities. We have to be careful about having too strict a standard for saying things are not so - or you wind up never doing or concluding anything :) People really can chose - to call believing that atheism is a leap of faith I think discredits what that term means and even devalues it in terms of it being applied in religious contexts.

From where I come, your religion is what matters about you the most.

I'm not saying religion is not important. In fact it is to a lot of people. Knowing someone's religion, however, is not. The moment you start asking a patient what religion are they, you are opening the door to an assumption for patient that you are profiling her, racially or religiously.

I'm saying patient here because people mentioned it. As a doctor, you have to give all options that are possible/legal. You have no business in knowing someone's religion to decide what option is good for them. They might have a religion , yet they might not act on it. Similarly religion is not the only factor in deciding options in medical field.

I'm not saying religion is not important. In fact it is to a lot of people. Knowing someone's religion, however, is not. The moment you start asking a patient what religion are they, you are opening the door to an assumption for patient that you are profiling her, racially or religiously.

I'm saying patient here because people mentioned it. As a doctor, you have to give all options that are possible/legal. You have no business in knowing someone's religion to decide what option is good for them. They might have a religion , yet they might not act on it. Similarly religion is not the only factor in deciding options in medical field.

I agree with this, you shouldn't ask a patient his religion, but s/he can tell you it if s/he wants.

But what I was pointing to is the craziness of the Middle East. People view religion as the most important thing in their identity (you even see atheists associating with the religion of their background). Each religious group is like a seperate people or nation.

I think being an Atheist is hypocritical so I just go with Agnostic.

Whichever is closest to *I dont know*.

People who say they do know make me laugh and cry at the same time.

So, you laugh at people that believe too? Because they also think they do know...

So, you laugh at people that believe too? Because they also think they do know...

Thats what im saying, atheists are saying they know something just as the theists do. Atheists believe that there is no ethereal god or what have you of any kind, agnosticism (to me) is the closest faction to simply not having an answer. Having a definitive answer as an Atheist is, to me, hypocritical.

The only real answer is *I do not know how or why we are here or what happens after we die*, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Why does it even matter?

Because apparently, a person's religious belief can significantly influence his/her medical decisions. Here are some examples:

Atheist: There is no God to judge me. Therefore, I can do whatever the f*ck I think is best for my patients.

Conservative Evangelical Christian: Abortion is WRONG! The Bible says so! I will not let my patients have one!

Jehovah's Witness: Blood transfusion is WRONG! I will not let me patients get it!

Mormon: Ingesting alcohol is a sin! Even though my patient is an idiot and swallowed a gallon of antifreeze, I will not pump alcohol into his system!

Archived