Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

Anyone else have VR scores that fluctuates A LOT ?

I did all the passages in the EK 101 and they were pretty consistent. (7 in the beginning and slowly going up to around 9 at the end) '

However on the AAMC's , the 4 that I've done I've scored 9, 7, 10, 7 ...

wtf mate? This is really frustrating....

My AAMC ones also fluctuate a lot. So frustrating - I agree. For EK I was pretty stable, so I gave up.

Do you know if the AAMC verbal is more representative for the more recent ones? Or is it just the science that has changed more recently?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did AAMC 10 today - 12/9/13. I'm really happy about PS and BS (just one away from a 13 in PS) but this verbal is just dragging me down. Although I was one away from a 10, 11 really seems out of reach :/

yeah as much as people try to explain how they improve at the VR section over time it just isn't really happening for me. Maybe I've increased from a "low" 10 to a "high" 10 sometimes 11, but at the end of the day it will be luck whether i finish with a 10 or 11, and any lower or higher than that would be fairly unexpected. if i had to rewrite then maybe I'd read more into strategies but I think that simplicity is best...

Well, **** verbal, took AAMC 9 today, 14/7/11, (should have been 13 in bio but the first passage i got 4 wrong on cause I misinterpreted it LOL).

I think with EK the passages were very interesting and easy to read, and with TPR their questions were slightly easier to answer.

With AAMC, all of their articles are so damn boring and are so hard to read, I don't think my reading level is quite up to par with the level they want me to be at because I cannot for the LIFE of me understand some of the paragraphs.

Seems like a big let down to try so hard and do so terribly in this section. I have no idea on how to improve unless i spend the next 7 or 8 months reading verbose and esoteric writing. I at least signed up for a couple article based critical thinking classes during these next two semesters, maybe after that I can salvage a 10 or possibly 11.

As for now, I will be praying for a 9 or 10 on the real thing, its looking doubtful at this point though :rolleyes:

Well, **** verbal, took AAMC 9 today, 14/7/11, (should have been 13 in bio but the first passage i got 4 wrong on cause I misinterpreted it LOL).

I think with EK the passages were very interesting and easy to read, and with TPR their questions were slightly easier to answer.

With AAMC, all of their articles are so damn boring and are so hard to read, I don't think my reading level is quite up to par with the level they want me to be at because I cannot for the LIFE of me understand some of the paragraphs.

Seems like a big let down to try so hard and do so terribly in this section. I have no idea on how to improve unless i spend the next 7 or 8 months reading verbose and esoteric writing. I at least signed up for a couple article based critical thinking classes during these next two semesters, maybe after that I can salvage a 10 or possibly 11.

As for now, I will be praying for a 9 or 10 on the real thing, its looking doubtful at this point though :rolleyes:

Don't let the boringness/seeming incomprehensibility scare you! That is what they want it to do, lol. Just remember that it is probably boring for everyone else, too. Just stay calm and use critical thinking/reasoning skills to answer the questions. Don't be afraid to go back to the passage to a certain section that is asked about if you didn't understand it 100% the first time around.

How did you find 11? Man I don't get it...I ended making some bad mistakes before but this is crazy got almost half the questions wrong... I don't see any way in bringing up verbal anytime soon

I haven't done it yet, I was going to do it today but I figured I would not do AAMC 10, 8, or 6 because i'm afraid i'm going to have to take it again unless a miracle happens in verbal. Going to do 11 on Monday and will let you know how it goes then :).

You know what? The best thing we can do is have confidence on test day, not choke, and do our best. There have been many stories of people with 9's who get a 10 and with a large amount of luck an 11 on test day. Even with a 10 you have a decent shot at Queens/UFT/Mac :D .

Don't let the boringness/seeming incomprehensibility scare you! That is what they want it to do, lol. Just remember that it is probably boring for everyone else, too. Just stay calm and use critical thinking/reasoning skills to answer the questions. Don't be afraid to go back to the passage to a certain section that is asked about if you didn't understand it 100% the first time around.

This is true on so many levels. Thanks for the advice, I have started to really really try and fake interest in any subject I read and its starting to show.

I did a couple of other AAMC verbals today and got an 11 and 9. Think one thing that really helps is while reading i'm trying to have a conversation with the author always asking "Why did you write this? Whats the point of this paragraph? What does this paragraph have to do with this? Are your arguments weak? Who are you? Why why why why why".

I have a much clearer picture of the passage this way, but rarely have any time to answer the questions as it is a lot slower reading the passage and i only have about 3 minutes for questions.

How did you find the actual VR on your test? Were the passages more interesting or are they the same boring drivel which seem to encompass all AAMC verbal tests.

I have a much clearer picture of the passage this way, but rarely have any time to answer the questions as it is a lot slower reading the passage and i only have about 3 minutes for questions.

How did you find the actual VR on your test? Were the passages more interesting or are they the same boring drivel which seem to encompass all AAMC verbal tests.

Maybe to speed up that process, you could try either:

(a) Only ask those questions about the appropriate paragraphs after you have read the questions/struggled with them

(B) Form a stereotype of the author in your head as you read, as this may help you more efficiently extrapolate the necessary connotations later on.

The actual VR was kind of a blur, hehe. I honestly don't know how much it is okay for me to disclose, but hopefully this is fine: there was a mix, but as usual, lots of boring drivel. I would say pretty similar to the past AAMC tests.

Maybe to speed up that process, you could try either:

(a) Only ask those questions about the appropriate paragraphs after you have read the questions/struggled with them

(B) Form a stereotype of the author in your head as you read, as this may help you more efficiently extrapolate the necessary connotations later on.

The actual VR was kind of a blur, hehe. I honestly don't know how much it is okay for me to disclose, but hopefully this is fine: there was a mix, but as usual, lots of boring drivel. I would say pretty similar to the past AAMC tests.

Forming the stereotype definitely helps. I'm sure you scored well in to the mid/high thirties on your test, your averages were spectacular :P .

So I pretty much wasted AAMC 9 - 10/9/9. Thought I did terrible on VR so I just rushed through bio just went through once quickly, ended test with 20+ min remaining. Oh and apparently I think 1/2 + 1/2 = 1/4! Ugh.

Well that nine isn't too bad! You just need one more point to have a good chance at most schools :) .

Just finished with AAMC 11

12/7/12 LOL.

Officially given up on verbal. There always seems to be one passage which completely ****s me. Today it was *SPOILERS* that passage on pictures or whatever, got 6 wrong on it, totally plumetted my score so I had no chance at a 10.

Well that nine isn't too bad! You just need one more point to have a good chance at most schools :) .

Just finished with AAMC 11

12/7/12 LOL.

Officially given up on verbal. There always seems to be one passage which completely ****s me. Today it was *SPOILERS* that passage on pictures or whatever, got 6 wrong on it, totally plumetted my score so I had no chance at a 10.

When are you writing it Field? I'm struggling in VR too..

When are you writing it Field? I'm struggling in VR too..

Writing on the 23rd (Thursday), are you writing at the same time as well?

And yeah...I saw some of your scores, you seem to be having around the same trouble as me in VR, but you do a lot better on the scienecs :P . It's frustrating to no end when you cannot figure something out.

Have you seen any score increases in your VR lately at least?

All the strategies people use don't seem to work for me. Do you find yourself struggling with timing or just plain understanding some of the passages Luffy?

I understand that VR correlates well with being a good doctor, but why does it have to be the section we suck at, such is life I guess.

Gonna take AAMC 10 tomorrow and see if I can improve on VR!

Writing on the 23rd (Thursday), are you writing at the same time as well?

And yeah...I saw some of your scores, you seem to be having around the same trouble as me in VR, but you do a lot better on the scienecs :P . It's frustrating to no end when you cannot figure something out.

Have you seen any score increases in your VR lately at least?

All the strategies people use don't seem to work for me. Do you find yourself struggling with timing or just plain understanding some of the passages Luffy?

I understand that VR correlates well with being a good doctor, but why does it have to be the section we suck at, such is life I guess.

Gonna take AAMC 10 tomorrow and see if I can improve on VR!

Yes writing it on Thursday too. Im not sure if VR really correlates with being a good doc (Ottawa, McGill and French schools produce excellent docs too). I just did AAMC 10, got 14/7/14. No idea what to do anymore at this point in time. I find myself mostly lacking in time.

Yes writing it on Thursday too. Im not sure if VR really correlates with being a good doc (Ottawa, McGill and French schools produce excellent docs too). I just did AAMC 10, got 14/7/14. No idea what to do anymore at this point in time. I find myself mostly lacking in time.

That is certianly true, unfortunately I don't qualify for any of those schools because I don't have any of the prereqs. I just figured since its weighted so heavily at some schools (Western / Mac / Queens somewhat) that it had some correlation.

Timing is an issue for me too, I usually have 7 minutes to spare on the last passage and rush it.

Went through the VR, 9 of my 12 mistakes came from 2 passages alone (5 and 4 respectively) so I'm getting entire passages wrong :S This time it was the one about humans and intelligence or something like that. Understanding is def key to doing well but sometimes it's just so hard I go through the passage without a clue as to what I'm reading :S

Archived