Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

i don't think you guys are human... i just did my very first FL after studying since May... i did AAMC test #3 the free one.. and got ......9/5/7 PS/VR/BS..21 total..

this is easily the lowest point of my prep journey, i hope i can reach a 30 by sept 7th

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I think you should be able to reach 8 on both science sections minimum or your lacking in content :( You still have a month, just review the content really well and understand which areas you got those questions wrong in and then focus on them. You can do it bro!

i don't think you guys are human... i just did my very first FL after studying since May... i did AAMC test #3 the free one.. and got ......9/5/7 PS/VR/BS..21 total..

this is easily the lowest point of my prep journey, i hope i can reach a 30 by sept 7th

How are you studying? What is your academic background? I'm sure there are people here who can offer some tips because, from the sounds of it, you probably need to tweak your study methods/materials to achieve the score you want :)

I've been following the sn2ed plan religiously. I honestly hope this was just some kind of bad nervous experience because it was my first FL and that it will only increase from here. I've taken all the required courses except Orgo. I haven't seen an improvement in VR though all summer that's been my worst part.

Thanks for the concern though I appreciate that.

Don't be too hard on yourself...it was your first FL. Use it as a wake-up call and a learning experience. Go through every single question. For the ones you got right, re-do them to make sure you can get the answer again. For those you got wrong, figure out why. Learn from your mistake and never make the same mistake again. The MCAT tends to repeat topics and test them in similar ways, so going through old tests is actually really productive. If you learn from this test, I guarantee your score will improve on your next FL. Keep at it and good luck!!!

Really solid advice, thank you. I've been doing practice passages and questions ALL summer and understanding basically everything so this left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm finally realizing why it's so tough to get into Canadian schools, you essentially have to be a perfect applicant. I hope you all kill the test though, and from the looks of it, you will!

Got a 7 on EK test 7.

:@

**** EK.

I had a lot of problems with the EK 101 book, to be honest. Their passages were a lot easier to read than AAMC, but the questions are absolutely brutal. There are quite a few that I still disagree with, even after reading the solution in the back. Their logic is questionable at times. I also found that EK was harder than AAMC VR tests, but you may be different. Still the best material to practice with, in my opinion. Keep at it and your scores will go up :)

My last FL before the real deal:

AAMC #10: 12/11/12

Sooo happy my VR is back up to where it used to be! My sciences were pretty low, but I found a couple of the passages really hard (the tube anode detector in PS, and some of the orgo in BS). I'll probably figure out what science concepts I'm weakest in and review them a bit tonight/tomorrow. Other than that, I plan on relaxing until test time :)

Awesome! I am also going to take it easy until the test (although I'm still going over AAMC 11)

You guys are amazing! And yes, definitely take it easy. Don't want to burn out before the real deal.

Got a 7 on EK test 7.

:@

**** EK.

Yeah... I did that one yesterday too and got a 9. I score a consistent 10 on everything though so it's not far off. But I really dont feel like going back and looking at those passages. Why is there always that one passage on EVERY test that just obliterates me and I only get 1/2 right. If I could fix that I'd be getting 11 or 12 every time...

Do you guys think the AAMC FL tests increase in difficulty as you move from 3 up to 11 ? or are they relatively in the same ball park? Thanks.

I wrote AAMC #3, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11. Of those I found #8 and #10 the most difficult, but other people here and on SDN have different opinions. This is probably because we all have strengths/weaknesses, and perceived difficulty really depends on the passages and how we feel that day. I'm not sure they get harder, but the style definitely changes. AAMC #3, 7, and 8 were very fact-based. The passages presented you with a situation and the facts, and you had to use those facts to come up with answers. AAMC #9, 10, and 11 required much more reasoning and problem solving. Most of the passages explained experiments or techniques that are probably unfamiliar, and you really had to understand them to answer the questions. They tested on interpretation of results, the purpose of reactants/components of the experiments, what happens if something changes, etc. I've read that the more recent AAMCs are more reflective of the current MCAT, so it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to these before your test.

Archived