Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lexo,

What are you practicing with? You should do the AAMC tests, if you haven't already. I haven't done many of them yet and I don't want to jinx it (*fingers and toes crossed*) but I'm not finding it as hard to break a 10 on AAMC as I am on TPR. Still need to score an 11 though.

LOL bpatient, I've had my lucky charms out and ready since this entire thing started

*Sigh*, got a 9 on AAMC 5 (28/40). I was doing really well for the first half, but then got bogged down on a tougher passage in the middle. Oh well, live and learn. I was expecting much worse in all honesty.

I've realized throughout this process that it's completely impossible to predict how I did until I see the mark. I guess I'll be a nervous wreck for a month after my real test in 2 weeks :P

*Sigh*, got a 9 on AAMC 5 (28/40). I was doing really well for the first half, but then got bogged down on a tougher passage in the middle. Oh well, live and learn. I was expecting much worse in all honesty.

I've realized throughout this process that it's completely impossible to predict how I did until I see the mark. I guess I'll be a nervous wreck for a month after my real test in 2 weeks :P

that's not that bad man, you are only 4-5 more correct from hitting 11+

I am still getting 2 wrong per passage(if I'm lucky that is) and taking 9-10 minute per passage :(

I have a question for you guys, When doing the FLs. do you review each passage after you have finished the passage? or review the whole thing at the end after the 7 passages?

that's not that bad man, you are only 4-5 more correct from hitting 11+

I am still getting 2 wrong per passage(if I'm lucky that is) and taking 9-10 minute per passage :(

I have a question for you guys, When doing the FLs. do you review each passage after you have finished the passage? or review the whole thing at the end after the 7 passages?

Review the entire thing after you complete it. Do not break it into segments. You want to develop a good sense of timing and rhythm.

Hey Lexo,

What are you practicing with? You should do the AAMC tests, if you haven't already. I haven't done many of them yet and I don't want to jinx it (*fingers and toes crossed*) but I'm not finding it as hard to break a 10 on AAMC as I am on TPR. Still need to score an 11 though.

LOL bpatient, I've had my lucky charms out and ready since this entire thing started

That was the last of my EK101 passages. I only have AAMC verbal to practice now and I'll be doing AAMC 3 on Tuesday with an FL every 2 or 3 days. Most likely 2. I don't even know how I feel, I've gone through everythign but feel like nothing has really stuck in my mind, especially from PS.

I hope you find AAMC better than EK!

Ya I know what you mean. I'm still finishing off content review (fell behind -__-) but I feel like I've forgotten some of the stuff I've reviewed.

I think I'll have four-ish weeks to practice and do AAMCs before my MCAT. I hope its enough. I'm getting majorly panicked now -__-

Aw yes, me too. No grade 12 physics and doing it on my own :(.

When I say I haven't done any physics I mean, like basically starting from scratch lol. Last time I did any physics was 4+ years ago.

You must tell me the secret to learning physics on your own haha

I am writing on september 7th. I am starting VR practice today. I did the first two warm-up practice questions in the 2002 EK 101 and got 50% (so bad!). I am about to go to my first practice test from EK 101 and hope to get much better than those warm-ups!

I will post my score later.

edit: I got 7! Horrible!

Hey guys,

So after practicing fairly diligently for VR, I've noticed that I always get Specific Inference questions, Strengthen/Weaken questions, and New Info questions wrong most consistently. Especially the Specific Inference questions. Its super frustrating because if I can learn to nail the Inference questions, I'll be averaging 0-1 wrong per passage, which is exactly where I want to be. Have you guys noticed any such trends too? Any strategies you've come across? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

I was initially confident since I got an 11 on AAMC10 (first practice exam)

but I got a 9 on a TPR today and I consistently get 2 wrong per passage besides the odd perfect. Now I don't know how much more I should put into it/ if I should cut my losses and accept it as a variable.

Edit: Exam's in a couple weeks, so I should be approaching to my final/consistent score.

How did everybody do on TPR verbal test 1 from the verbal hyperlearning workbook?

I got a 9, but it would have been 11 if it wasn't for one passage, how did you do?

I got near perfect on all the passages except that friggin philosophy passage, totally missed the main idea and got 1/7, :mad:

I got a 9, but it would have been 11 if it wasn't for one passage, how did you do?

I got near perfect on all the passages except that friggin philosophy passage, totally missed the main idea and got 1/7, :mad:

I have noticed a similar trend. For me it is usually 1 or 2 passages that bring me down, and on the rest I do pretty well. I am usually able to finish a passage within 7 minutes, except for 2-3 passages that take me 10 minutes. It also tends to be in topics I am not very familiar with — for example I never took anything in the classics/humanities nor been interested in it, so those passages are harder for me. However, in passages where I have a decent background (economics, psychology, philosophy, natural sciences etc.), I can do much better, and I read them much faster.

I think it has to do with more familiarity and being able to draw upon my background in the topic as I am reading. I am really hoping that there are only a few passages in the classics on my MCAT. Has anyone experienced this trend?

10. the passage on puns messed me up. 2/5. I got 5/7 on the philo passage.

Going to do test 2 sometime next week.

Archived