Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

I know Western wants 11 in VR but what other schools require minimum VR score? I recall UofT having it set at 9 but are there others?

I think Queens has it set @ 10.

On another note.. I did TPRH passages #30-33 just now... was doing great until passage 33 (the one on urban ecosystems). Got 3/6 on that one. :@

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, are any of you using the TPR Science Workbook? Is it just me or are some of the passages hard?

I am. I took a bit of a hiatus from it since the passages on chem/physics began incorporating concepts from chapters I hadn't covered yet, so yeah, I found some of the stuff hard.

I'm hoping to have the entire thing done by the end of this month though.

Ya that's exactly what I found too...They really expect you to integrate all your knowledge...which is good I suppose -__-

It's good, but isn't entirely efficient unless you have somewhat of a working knowledge of the material they expect you to incorporate. So I thought it'd be a better idea to just finish the content review I had left and then hammer out passages.

How do you find the AAMC material?

Awesome scores guys! How long before your test did you start doing practice tests? I've noticed that TPR is harder too

I took a prep course with TPR, so I've been doing one FL a week since mid-May. Ever since my course ended, I have started doing one FL every other day leading up to my test on Friday.

Hey guys, are any of you using the TPR Science Workbook? Is it just me or are some of the passages hard?

I've finished the entire book, and I'll agree that there are a few tough passages. Although my accuracy is 'slightly' lower than AAMC, I can burn through those TPR passages in half the time. I think my personal best in the science book was 54 seconds (perfect score too).

Nice. I'm writing on Sept 1st. Its my first attempt and though I'd LOVE for it to be my last, I still like to take comfort in the fact that I can write it again if need be with a deeper understanding of the test and the process. Are you applying this year?

Savac, did you finish all of the passages and questions that TPR gives you online as well?

Nice. I'm writing on Sept 1st. Its my first attempt and though I'd LOVE for it to be my last, I still like to take comfort in the fact that I can write it again if need be with a deeper understanding of the test and the process. Are you applying this year?

Savac, did you finish all of the passages and questions that TPR gives you online as well?

Yeah I'm thinking of applying to mac and uwo but I still need to get everything in order. Haven't contacted references or started my app at all yet. you?

And are you done content review completely now?

I only did a few of their online resources. Having to do them one by one became too tedious.

Verbal is really starting to frustrate me!!! I just wrote my 3rd AAMC FL. Here are my scores (PS/VR/BS):

AAMC #7: 13/12/13

AAMC #8: 12/10/13

AAMC #11: 13/10/13

Here's another score to add to the list:

AAMC #9: 14/9/14

I have no clue what to do about VR at this point. I thought I was getting better, but my scores seem to indicate otherwise. I'm really trying to focus on reading thoroughly, but even when I think I understand the passages I get overwhelmed by some of the questions. Does anyone have any advice?

I have no clue what to do about VR at this point. I thought I was getting better, but my scores seem to indicate otherwise. I'm really trying to focus on reading thoroughly, but even when I think I understand the passages I get overwhelmed by some of the questions. Does anyone have any advice?

Did that one yesterday and got 12/10/12. I got either 1 or 2 wrong on every passage (even the last two that I completely rushed whereas I spent more time on the previous ones). I think what I need to do better is A) relax and B) stop trying to get more confirmation on answers I'm pretty sure I'm right on in the first place. I probably waste >5 minutes on looking back for various questions to make 100% sure I'm right when I should've used it on the last passage and checking over only if there was time left. But ugh, it's just so tempting to look back for me. Worst habit. I've got a 10 on every AAMC test I've done so far (3, 10, 9) and most of the EK101 tests (one or two 11 and one 12 on those).

Hehe, now you don't need to be jealous of my 14's! I don't really think that we will be able to improve much at this point, so I'm just hoping for a decent curve. Other than that, I'm just going to watch for obvious traps.

Hehe, now you don't need to be jealous of my 14's! I don't really think that we will be able to improve much at this point, so I'm just hoping for a decent curve. Other than that, I'm just going to watch for obvious traps.

We may not be able to improve much at this point, but I'm definitely going to try! I'm planning on working on VR quite a bit tomorrow. I'll go through all my old AAMC VR tests and see what questions/passages I'm slipping up on, and figure out a strategy for them. Then I'll go through some practice material, although I'm starting to run low. I have some GMAT VR practice materials that seem similar, so I may have to use them.

What kind of traps do you look for?

We may not be able to improve much at this point, but I'm definitely going to try! I'm planning on working on VR quite a bit tomorrow. I'll go through all my old AAMC VR tests and see what questions/passages I'm slipping up on, and figure out a strategy for them. Then I'll go through some practice material, although I'm starting to run low. I have some GMAT VR practice materials that seem similar, so I may have to use them.

What kind of traps do you look for?

I don't know, I need to review my TPR book. There was a whole chapter on it. I remember that I read that chapter the night before I got my first 10 in VR, so I'm hoping a refresher will help me out.

What I can say though, is that sometimes it helps me answer questions when I run out of time. I remember I was doing a test a while back, and I only had enough time to read the first and last sentence of each paragraph. When I got to the questions, I eliminated obvious trap answers, and then guessed from there.

By 'obvious' I mean something like:

Doesn't answer the question

Strengthens on a Weaken or vice versa

Out of scope

Any extreme language or other superlatives(usually wrong, but not always)

Too literal for a vocab question

Edit: And my personal favorite is any answer that predicts the future

I'm looking to do AAMC 5 or 7 tomorrow, can't see my VR improving drastically by test time, although I just need 2-3 more correct to get a 10 ugh. How far are you guys in FL's?

I only have AAMC 11 left, which is fine because I write on Friday.

I've done 3, 7-9 and 11. I did 11 today and I did muuuch worse than the others so I'm kinda freaking out. Nbd. I only have a week and a half left, and I'm working Tues-Fri.

I'm pretty sure the VR for 7 wasn't too bad. (I got 13, my second best - right behind 14 on 9. I got 11 on 3, 8 and 11.)

But holy cowabunga am I scared. :(

Even more so for WS because I haven't the foggiest about how I've been doing.

How are your sciences? You seem like you're set to score 35+ what are you worried about? Should I skip 5 and focus on the later tests? Or does it even matter ?

My sciences bounce around.. a lot. 11 was not so good for me.

3 (did it in parts random evenings.. hardly actual conditions): 13/11/11

8: 15/11/13

9: 13/14/13

7: 15/13/13

11: 11/11/12 <-- note the panickiness. I made a lot of really stupid mistakes on both science ones (calculation errors, reading the heading of an important table wrong), but still.. but still.

No clue about 5 :P. I didn't do it because I don't have all that much time, and I was doing fairly well on the earlier ones anyways. I would say if you have the time, why not? =] Practice makes perfect! (Sorta.)

Archived