Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if you all already know about mcatquestion.com but it's pretty solid. Let me know you're opinions about it.

ive been using the kaplan one question a day email thing. the one you suggest is cool as well, but its pissing me off that they dont offer an explanation for wrong answers...

ive been using the kaplan one question a day email thing. the one you suggest is cool as well, but its pissing me off that they dont offer an explanation for wrong answers...

It'd be good practice for all us if we posted which answers we don't understand were incorrect.

I'm sure somebody would know.

I am also having some trouble with this section. I have been studying for the last 3 months, but my score has not changed at ALL. My first score was a 9 and my score now three months later is still a 9. I can't seem to get anything above this. I tried figuring out where I am going wrong, but most of the time the errors are made because I don't understand the question, not because I didn't understand the passage. I am confused as to what to do about this.

Also, I end up with two passages that I do not have time to read, so I end up randomly guessing for those. I am trying to work on my timing, but no matter what I tend to spend a whole 4 minutes reading which is time consuming.

I am not following any "strategies". I simply read the passage and answer the questions to the best of my ability, treating it like a reading comprehension test. I tried the TPR strategy (skim questions, read passage, highlight, write down main idea, and attack the questions according to question type, etc). I tried their method for a couple of weeks but each time I did it, my score dropped to a 6. When I went back to what I was doing before (which is really just reading and answering questions), my score went back to where it was before. What do I do now?

I am also having some trouble with this section. I have been studying for the last 3 months, but my score has not changed at ALL. My first score was a 9 and my score now three months later is still a 9. I can't seem to get anything above this. I tried figuring out where I am going wrong, but most of the time the errors are made because I don't understand the question, not because I didn't understand the passage. I am confused as to what to do about this.

Also, I end up with two passages that I do not have time to read, so I end up randomly guessing for those. I am trying to work on my timing, but no matter what I tend to spend a whole 4 minutes reading which is time consuming.

I am not following any "strategies". I simply read the passage and answer the questions to the best of my ability, treating it like a reading comprehension test. I tried the TPR strategy (skim questions, read passage, highlight, write down main idea, and attack the questions according to question type, etc). I tried their method for a couple of weeks but each time I did it, my score dropped to a 6. When I went back to what I was doing before (which is really just reading and answering questions), my score went back to where it was before. What do I do now?

I follow the EK strategy. In simple terms, what the strategy suggests is that you focus most of your time on reading the passage, soak it all in in one go. Second part of my strategy is inspired by the following skills list from AAMC:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85564/data/vstopics.pdf

So basically,

1) Soak it in

2) What is the author trying to say?

You should be able to answer the other questions by your having well read the passage.

I just did AAMC #7 and did bad on the VR section. Did anyone find this practice test to be particularly more difficult? Especially passages 3 and 4 on this test.

It was actually my best FL so far (got 11 on VR for AAMC 7 whereas on all the others I got 10s). Passage 4 was definitely tricky (my worst passage on the test) because the right answers required some some extrapolation that didn't really come to me. Passage 3 went well for me because there was very little you had to know to answer the questions right, just the main idea.

Also the curve on AAMC 7 looks to be worse than the other ones, so keep that in mind too I guess...

How do you guys attack deduction questions? (The ones that are like: the author of the passage would most likely agree that, it is assumed in the passage that, it can be concluded that and implicit in the passage is that). What do you find to be classical wrong answers on these questions? Kaplan says to predict before looking at the answer choices, but this takes a rly long time for me.

Personally, I find the "predict" strategy really lame because the answer choices can be anything (from very general ideas in the passage to very specific facts that the author mentions). I feel that generally 2 of the answer choices are pretty obviously wrong (for most questions). For the remaining two answer choices, I try to compare them to each other to see which one is a better fit. Sometimes, it just so happens that one answer choice is too extreme compared to the other

Haven't done much the past two days thinking I'm burnt out. Got 3 more FL's (9,10,11) to do before the 23rd... how's everyone doing?

Aww I feel burnt out, too. I'm writing on Thursday and I really don't even feel ready content-wise, but I haven't been doing much because I don't want to be too tired.

Don't worry, though. I feel your pain. Also, just remember that you still have time :).

It was actually my best FL so far (got 11 on VR for AAMC 7 whereas on all the others I got 10s). Passage 4 was definitely tricky (my worst passage on the test) because the right answers required some some extrapolation that didn't really come to me. Passage 3 went well for me because there was very little you had to know to answer the questions right, just the main idea.

Also the curve on AAMC 7 looks to be worse than the other ones, so keep that in mind too I guess...

Very impressive verbal scores! At this point in time, there seems to be little left for me to do. I will have to rely on the curve to save me now..

Anyone else have VR scores that fluctuates A LOT ?

I did all the passages in the EK 101 and they were pretty consistent. (7 in the beginning and slowly going up to around 9 at the end) '

However on the AAMC's , the 4 that I've done I've scored 9, 7, 10, 7 ...

wtf mate? This is really frustrating....

Archived