Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's quite a bit. Does anyone else feel like they have "days" for verbal? I feel like some days, I can do any passage and score very well, while other days I can do what I would consider an easy passage and score HORRIBLY. Getting super dejected -__-

Wow 1234, I applaud you

Wow, that's quite a bit. Does anyone else feel like they have "days" for verbal? I feel like some days, I can do any passage and score very well, while other days I can do what I would consider an easy passage and score HORRIBLY. Getting super dejected -__-

Wow 1234, I applaud you

We all have good days and bad days. Practice makes sure the bad days aren't so bad, and the good days are even better. Just keep at it and stay confident.

I haven't started FLs yet but I did do one or two of the verbal sections from AAMC (I know I should have waited, but I really needed to know what they'd be like!).

I hope to start in another 4 or 5 days. That should give me 3-ish weeks to just do FLs and practice. God I hope that's enough.

Did you guys do a lot of practice passages for the sciences before doing FLs?

I haven't started FLs yet but I did do one or two of the verbal sections from AAMC (I know I should have waited, but I really needed to know what they'd be like!).

I hope to start in another 4 or 5 days. That should give me 3-ish weeks to just do FLs and practice. God I hope that's enough.

Did you guys do a lot of practice passages for the sciences before doing FLs?

That should be plenty of time to practice! I was using EK to prep, which has passage-based tests at the end of each lecture. I was also using the 1001 series, which has passage-based tests for Biology. They're similar to those you'd find on the MCAT, although EK seems to test on more nitty-gritty details. I found passage-based practice extremely important.

Just calculated, and I think I've done about 250 hours. Holy cow, batman. I know that's no 400, but it just seems like so much! :o!

I still have a week and a half or so, and I anticipate doing 2-3 more FLs and a little bit of content review for those details I always forget, so it'll probably be closer to 270 by the end (I would guess).

Just calculated, and I think I've done about 250 hours. Holy cow, batman. I know that's no 400, but it just seems like so much! :o!

I still have a week and a half or so, and I anticipate doing 2-3 more FLs and a little bit of content review for those details I always forget, so it'll probably be closer to 270 by the end (I would guess).

That number was what I heard from the TPR instructor I think. Some people can achieve success with less or some will require more. Doesn't matter though, in the end as long as you get the score you need, the amount of work you put in compared to others won't mean anything.

Verbal is really starting to frustrate me!!! I just wrote my 3rd AAMC FL. Here are my scores (PS/VR/BS):

AAMC #7: 13/12/13

AAMC #8: 12/10/13

AAMC #11: 13/10/13

I'm writing this Friday. Overall I'm really happy with my science scores, but I was hoping my verbal would be consistently in the 11-12 range by now. Any thoughts or tips for practicing in my last week?

Verbal is really starting to frustrate me!!! I just wrote my 3rd AAMC FL. Here are my scores (PS/VR/BS):

I'm writing this Friday. Overall I'm really happy with my science scores, but I was hoping my verbal would be consistently in the 11-12 range by now. Any thoughts or tips for practicing in my last week?

Don't even go there, your scores are better than mine! I only have AAMC 11 left, but here are my AAMC scores in the order that I did them:

10: 12/9/13

7: 13/10/13

4: 12/8/14

5: 14/9/13

8: 14/8/14

9: 14/9/12

3: 13/10/10 (not sure what happened on this bio section -_-)

Don't even go there, your scores are better than mine! I only have AAMC 11 left, but here are my AAMC scores in the order that I did them:

I also wrote 3 at the beginning of my prep, so it's not reflective of my abilities at all. I've also heard it's not a very good reflection of the current MCAT, so I wouldn't let your score on it worry you too much. Our scores are actually very comparable, but I'm jealous of your 14's! AAMC 11 is apparently most similar to the current MCAT. It's definitely got a different feel than any of the other AAMCs I've written.

I'm going to do 9 and 10 this week, as well as the VR from 4-6 for some extra practice. What was the more challenging, AAMC 9 or AAMC 10? I want to go into Friday with a bit of a confidence boost, so I'll write the harder one tomorrow and the easier one on Wednesday :P

Those are some very nice scores both of you! I wish!! Goodluck for the test on Friday, you can do it! Try to rest alot and not let your nerves get to you, hopefully you'll peak on the exam, as both of your scores have been improving with each exam so only makes sense!

I also wrote 3 at the beginning of my prep, so it's not reflective of my abilities at all. I've also heard it's not a very good reflection of the current MCAT, so I wouldn't let your score on it worry you too much. Our scores are actually very comparable, but I'm jealous of your 14's! AAMC 11 is apparently most similar to the current MCAT. It's definitely got a different feel than any of the other AAMCs I've written.

I'm going to do 9 and 10 this week, as well as the VR from 4-6 for some extra practice. What was the more challenging, AAMC 9 or AAMC 10? I want to go into Friday with a bit of a confidence boost, so I'll write the harder one tomorrow and the easier one on Wednesday :P

I actually wrote 3 this afternoon. 10 was the first FL I did. It was at the beginning of my prep, and I had barely started my content review. Considering I got a 34 on AAMC 10, I would say it is easier than 9. I scored a 36 on AAMC 9, but I had already finished my content review.

I'm hoping that AAMC 11 has a nice verbal section, because that's where I'll need my confidence boost on Friday!

I actually wrote 3 this afternoon. 10 was the first FL I did. It was at the beginning of my prep, and I had barely started my content review. Considering I got a 34 on AAMC 10, I would say it is easier than 9. I scored a 36 on AAMC 9, but I had already finished my content review.

I'm hoping that AAMC 11 has a nice verbal section, because that's where I'll need my confidence boost on Friday!

Thanks! I'll do AAMC 9 tomorrow and post my scores. Hopefully I can improve on my VR score.

AAMC 11's VR was challenging, but all VR tests are! I found most of the passages very interesting though! I was having a tough time concentrating, perhaps due to lack of sleep, so I'm sure I could have gotten a better score. Good luck on 11. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks! I'll do AAMC 9 tomorrow and post my scores. Hopefully I can improve on my VR score.

AAMC 11's VR was challenging, but all VR tests are! I found most of the passages very interesting though! I was having a tough time concentrating, perhaps due to lack of sleep, so I'm sure I could have gotten a better score. Good luck on 11. Let me know how it goes!

I'm going to do 11 on the 7th, I'll post the result. Hopefully it's a good one!

Anyone here do tpr practice tests and wanna compare? I did #4 this afternoon and my scores were 10/7/13. The physics was omg. My verbal still sucks big time!

TPR #4 was the second FL I did, one week after AAMC #10. I got the exact same score as you. Although I hadn't completed my content review back then, I scored much lower than I did on any of my AAMC tests. For reference, my content review finished a little bit after AAMC #4.

Edit: I'll just post my TPR Scores for you in the order that I took them.

Free: 10/7/11 (Done back in November, way before I picked up a prep book)

4: 10/7/13

1: 9/6/13

2: 10/7/12

3: 13/8/11

5: 13/7/12

As you can see from my earlier post, this is considerably lower than my AAMC scores. Don't worry about the TPR tests, I hate them. I especially hate their highlighting function (It slows me down in verbal)

TPR #4 was the second FL I did, one week after AAMC #10. I got the exact same score as you. Although I hadn't completed my content review back then, I scored much lower than I did on any of my AAMC tests. For reference, my content review finished a little bit after AAMC #4.

This is like the 7th FL im doing. My verbal still sucks big time :( I usually get between 8-9 on the AAMCs. Do you guys think this is probably gonna my final score? It would suck to be cut from so many Ontario schools because of just my VR score..

This is like the 7th FL im doing. My verbal still sucks big time :( I usually get between 8-9 on the AAMCs. Do you guys think this is probably gonna my final score? It would suck to be cut from so many Ontario schools because of just my VR score..

I have no idea. I know there was somebody that posted a few weeks ago with an 11 in VR. This person had 7-8 on their FLs, and has since become my inspiration.

Awesome scores guys! How long before your test did you start doing practice tests? I've noticed that TPR is harder too

Lexo, I don't think that other schools have cut-offs for Verbal. I think Queens and Mac for instance, just want as high a score as possible. I *think* the unofficial Verbal cutoff for Queens is a 10 but don't quote me on that

Awesome scores guys! How long before your test did you start doing practice tests? I've noticed that TPR is harder too

Lexo, I don't think that other schools have cut-offs for Verbal. I think Queens and Mac for instance, just want as high a score as possible. I *think* the unofficial Verbal cutoff for Queens is a 10 but don't quote me on that

I started writing FLs 2 weeks before my test date. I wrote AAMC 3 at the beginning of my studying to see where I stood before prep, and then focused on the more recent tests (AAMC 7-11) within the last couple weeks.

I'm not sure what schools have VR cutoffs other than UWO and UofT, but my personal goal is an 11+ to stay eligible at as many schools as possible.

Archived