Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think doing the "2 passages a day" thing might be counterproductive... I just did three in a row without stopping and managed just 13/20 and getting overall 44/60 (9) on my ninth test. I've been doing stopping the time between each passage and reviewing til now, so I think I'll just do the whole thing next time.

How do you guys go about your verbal tests?

I do the EK (or AAMC) full hour ones. I only glance at the clock twice: after completing passage IV, and after passive VII (before checking my answers).

I think it's probably a bad call to not do them all at once because each passage is different, and they're designed to be that way.

Damn 14 is a great score good job! I feel verbal would be easier to correct than PS or BS or maybe that's just me sucking at PS mostly lol. How long are you taking to read the passages? One thing that worked for me was slowing down the reading a bit to fully comprehend what is in front of you and idk just thinking out every question stem.

Damn 14 is a great score good job! I feel verbal would be easier to correct than PS or BS or maybe that's just me sucking at PS mostly lol. How long are you taking to read the passages? One thing that worked for me was slowing down the reading a bit to fully comprehend what is in front of you and idk just thinking out every question stem.

It takes me about 2:30 - 3:00 minutes to read the passage. The passages I find interesting I score perfect, but the passages about random art works and about novels/books I score very poorly (25%).

Hey Field87ven,

Thanks for the tips for reading the passages. I'm finding that visualizing the passage helps :) For TPRH passages, how do you deal with the super long questions? Any tips?

I'm glad its working for you :D .

As for the super long questions, I often find I need to approach it like a long passage, I take 2 seconds to clear my mind of the last question, and then approach the long question reading nice and slow, trying to take in the main point of what its trying to say. I then phrase the long friggin question in my own words, usually with 3 or 4 words. Often the long question can really be simplified, I then repeat that simplified sentence before every answer choice. I then begin POE and hopefully I end up getting though the question in less than 30-40 seconds.

I know what you mean though, some of the questions are damn paragraphs themselves, pisses me off to no end. All in all I just hope we get passages which play to our strengths.

Have you started full lengths yet?

I think doing the "2 passages a day" thing might be counterproductive... I just did three in a row without stopping and managed just 13/20 and getting overall 44/60 (9) on my ninth test. I've been doing stopping the time between each passage and reviewing til now, so I think I'll just do the whole thing next time.

How do you guys go about your verbal tests?

I started off like you when I took time between passages, but I felt that wouldn't simulate a proper test. During the tests we get no breaks so for the past month or so I've been doing 2-3 in a row.

A really good tip which you might already be using is to take 5 seconds (another EK strategy, go figure ;) ) between each passage. Close your eyes and think of NOTHING for those five seconds, your mind should be cleared and ready for the next passage. If you just try and go from one passage to another your going to burn out, you need to take a mental break unless you're doing this already.

I do agree with you, the problem with VR isn't passage one, or two, or even three, its the stamina and focus you need to maintain for 7 straight. I think thats the thing that makes this test so friggin hard. Just keep practicing with 2-3 in a row, you'll get the scores you have been producing by taking 1 at a time soon enough. I saw a drop in my scores once I went from 1 to 2 consecutive, and 2 to 3 consecutive passages, and they've slowly climbed back up.

Hi guys,

I just did AAMC 8.. and scored a 14/4/14.... guess where I got the four in.. In Verbal!!! What can I possibly do to at least get a 10!

Thanks!!!!

DAMN your sciences are amazing, if I can scratch your scores I would be the happiest guy. Just give me 11's on the sciences and I will be content :P .

I think you need to re-evaulate your strategy, or maybe you have already answered your weakness. Try and approach every passage like it is the most interesting **** in the world even if its about moss formation in west india.

Remember its not like you need to read these boring passages for the rest of your life, you have 60 minutes to LOVE every article or trick yourself in to loving them for 60 minutes, thats it. Your sciences scores are already impeccable, insane, 99.9th percentile worthy; one more subject to master (albiet the hardest) and you are golden!

Anyways my TPRH scores have flucuated in the past couple days and i'm not happy, but im getting that close to pefect on any passage, usually missing 1-2 questions by 50/50 guessing. Im getting close....

How do you guys review for verbal? I find it hard to review because, unlike science where the laws can be generalized, every passage in verbal is different. does anybody have any review tips that they can offer that they think has worked for them? Thanks.

I've seen the idea of taking longer to read so you understand the passage better come up more and more frequently. I think you got to do what you got to do in order to comprehend everything. You can't do well if you don't have a clue what the passage is about. It's getting late in the game to speed up reading time so I think your answer lies in the questions.

I've seen the idea of taking longer to read so you understand the passage better come up more and more frequently. I think you got to do what you got to do in order to comprehend everything. You can't do well if you don't have a clue what the passage is about. It's getting late in the game to speed up reading time so I think your answer lies in the questions.

yea I agree, I am going to try more practice to bring down the time needed for each question maybe down to 30 seconds per question and then bring down the reading time down to 4 minutes if possible. Hopefully that should come as time goes on and I do more practice.

Hi guys,

I just did AAMC 8.. and scored a 14/4/14.... guess where I got the four in.. :( In Verbal!!! What can I possibly do to at least get a 10!

Thanks!!!!

Out of curiosity, how many did you get wrong in ps and bs to get the 14s?

AAMC 8 is 49-51 for PS and 49-50 for BS for 14's.

ic, thx

that is too damn hard to get to.

Just did another practice test. I get 11 or 12s on Kaplan but 9s for TPR. I just don't know what to do anymore -__-

are we talking VR? how were your ek scores?

+1 This what helped me the most.

Archived