Premed 101 Forums

Another Verbal Freakout

Lost&Found

I was wondering some of those same things bored. So far, I give every passage 7 minutes and check answers after each passage. I end up doing 9 passages in 63 minutes which is a bit less time than on the AAMC but I'm not making excuses for my low scores thus far.

umm... 9 passage is the old tests which gets 85 minutes, the new test only has 7 passages for 40 minutes.. lmao, you were doing it wrong teh whole time...

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
umm... 9 passage is the old tests which gets 85 minutes, the new test only has 7 passages for 40 minutes.. lmao, you were doing it wrong teh whole time...

You mean 7 passages in 60 minutes? Yeah I know I've just been limiting the time strictly to 7 min/psg.

Are you guys just doing the VR sections of the whole tests as practice, and just ending the other sections without going through them?

For me I have seen an upward trend on my VR sections even though the marks are pretty bad. My worst section is still PS (cause some stupid academic adviser at my school told me Med schools didn't look at physics), consistently getting the same mark.

Only upside to my situation is that I have a ton of time, cause all the spots are filled for this summer. So I will be studying when I can during fall and winter semesters and then go hard again next summer.

Are you guys just doing the VR sections of the whole tests as practice, and just ending the other sections without going through them?

For me I have seen an upward trend on my VR sections even though the marks are pretty bad. My worst section is still PS (cause some stupid academic adviser at my school told me Med schools didn't look at physics), consistently getting the same mark.

Only upside to my situation is that I have a ton of time, cause all the spots are filled for this summer. So I will be studying when I can during fall and winter semesters and then go hard again next summer.

If you really want to write it this summer, keep checking online. Spots usually open up closer to the test dates as people begin to feel that they're not ready.

If you really want to write it this summer, keep checking online. Spots usually open up closer to the test dates as people begin to feel that they're not ready.

Truth is, I don't even think I am close to being ready to write it this year. So it kinda works out.

Yeah I know and I'm wondering if I should give myself a bit more time cause on the real thing I would have 11 minutes extra. Then again, I find reading EK psgs to be easier (i.e. less time) than AAMC.

Are you actually able to finish them in 7min? Or do you rush? Damn...

I used to spend about 3 minutes per passage, but lately I've been spending 4 minutes. My accuracy seems to be higher this way, and I haven't run out of time yet.

Edit: The time includes previewing the questions and articulating the bottom line

Lol I didn't think it was that fast? How fast are you guys reading it? The AAMC ones take me more time for some reason maybe a bit longer?

Yeah, I found that the verbal passages on my real MCAT were much longer, so if your reading comprehension is that good with just 2 minutes of reading then I don't think you have anything to worry about lol. I think 3 minutes is a good target time though. If you have spare time, map the passage, maybe?

No highlighting for me it slows me down too much (unless it's like the conclusion of a paragraph or idea), I just read, bottom line, and then tackle the questions.

Same...I also tend to go back to specific parts of the passage even though it uses up time cause it helps my accuracy. I'm around 7 1/2 mins per passage

Hey guys,

I've noticed that I tend to screw up on the passages that have really long question stems. I guess I'd rather read a long passage with shorter questions stems than a short(er) passage with long question stems. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have a strategy for this?

Thanks guys

hey Guys, I need some opinions.

what do you think about ek101 passages vs tpr passages? I was doing some aamc #3 and aamc #4 and feel that these passages from Ek are much harder. I felt the tpr matched better at their difficulty..

any discussion on this?

LOL not sure if that's a good or bad thing since I find EK harder than TPR :/

seriously?

I did first 5 passages from ek test 1 and got so depressed..

but I actually like doing the tpr passages becuase they make sense.. EK passages and the questions are sometimes so hard to decipher.

I find EK and AAMC about equally difficult for the most part. I just don't like how there are more questions per passage on EK compared to AAMC. It kinda messes me up with my timing. Its possible to stick with 8 min/passage on AAMC but not so much on the EK.

Archived