Premed 101 Forums

just finished first semester.. what's the chance I'll do better in the future?

Actually with that 3.3 in Bio I fear that next year u may be put on academic probation. If university doesn't go the way you plan there are always other options of getting a job in health care. For example, Everest College has nursing programs that may tailor to your interest. But no, that 3.3 is a big red flag. I'm sorry but if you screw up again no educational institution will allow you to continue.

OP, I don't think your IQ is high enough. It's probably below average.

You spent 3-4 hours a day on your studies and you still do terrible in school?

Pathetic.

You should forget about med school. Don't waste your time buddy, you know your limit.

That's rude, you expect yourself to become a doctor? Even if you did, you can't even treat people with respect online. Pathetic.

As for OP, your grades are not garbage. You got 3 4.0 which is very good, this just shows that your are capable of doing well which is all that matters.

Remember, you still have 2nd semester to pull it up. As for research, I know a few people with a 3.8 that got a NSERC position, so don't stress it.

tl;dr version:

-3.8 in first semester first year, if I fix my mistakes is my IQ high enough (considering I got a 3.8 in first semester) to get a 4.0 in every course in the future? My IQ is probably around average

-how will I get any summer research positions with my garbage grades? If not, what will I do in the summer?

-is taking second year advanced calculus a wise choice if I really like math on top of the heavy workload that most biomed students face in second year?

-i'm also thinking about course-overloading in second year so I can take computer science as well as calculus... I want a minor in computer science. Am I retarded?

1. your IQ has nothing to do with anything.. Generally speaking, first semester/first year is when people do the worst, considering you got a 3.8 in your first semester I would say that' pretty good compared to many others. Obviously you could improve in some area's and you did get a B+ in 1 course, but hopefully you learned from your mistakes and will not repeat them next semester.

2. 3.8 should be fine for a research position

3. Don't try to make things fancy and don't try to make things more complicated then they should be if your plan is to get into med. If you want med, then your goal should be to get into med, with that said, overloading yourself to get some minor is counter productive.

I'm not...

Yeah my IQ is around average or maybe below.

The rest of your post makes it seem like you're mocking me or thinking I was trolling... I wasn't. Most of my friends have their shiny 4.0 GPA after first semester. 50 people got perfect on the chemistry midterms; I clearly wasn't one of them.

Why am I getting such ridiculous responses? What did I say in the OP to make it seem like I was trolling? I'm simply asking if upper year courses are IQ-based because I have a hard time with memorization and take a long time to absorb/fully grasp concepts.

It's because you are overreacting. You say you think you are "a retard" because you got a B+ in biology. How can that be so when the habitual class average in universities is a C+. Also,how can you think your dumb because of the performance in one course. You've done well in all your other courses, and more specifically, you did well in the ones that require more critical thinking. In addition, you pull all nighters before an exam which isn't the best thing to do before a 2-3 hour test. How can one do well on an exam when you are so tired you have to read the same passage "10 times to understand it because [your] brain [isn't] functioning''. Finally, the last paragraph of your post annoyed me. First of all your grades are nothing to cry about. There is no reason to automatically assume you wont get a lab position, have you even talked to any professors about lab positions? Secondly, ECs are suppose to be activities which you enjoy, not things you need to do to get into med. How on earth are we suppose to know what you like to do? What were you looking for? A checklist of activities you have to complete in order to get into med? To be honest, I'm hearing a lot of whining coming from your post.

What does "IQ based" even mean? I'm soo confused. A person who you consider the to be dumbest person alive could master a term's course material and get 4.0s. To get a good GPA requires a work ethic not so much raw talent. Look at it like this, who cares if you're ambidextrous, if you never practiced how to perform basic surgeries you are going to suck at doing appendectomies.

How will a 3.8 be fine for a research position when there's multiple 4.0 people applying for the same position? Do professors take 500 people into their lab or something? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm at Guelph so I admittedly don't know the processes at other schools but I got an NSERC after second year with a 3.83 and another after 3rd year with a 3.80, just try to get some volunteer lab experience and you should be fine.

What am I trolling about?

Yes I even lift. I won the overhead squat misc competition a few months ago. I deadlift 495, ass to grass squat 465, and bench bout 350 at 159lbs. come at me bro

dude thats a meme LOL hes not actually asking if you lift... but anyways, I also just finished my first semester as UWO haha, same as you! Being in first year, I don't have much experience with study habits and stuff like that, especially since I pulled crappy marks in a crappy high school in grade 12. But I did find studying strategies that worked for me and I managed to pull straight 4.0s (95.5% avg) in first semester, yes, even in tom haffies notorious bio class. I ended bio with 92 and chem with 97, ill be glad to share what I did for those courses. Once again, you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt cause I'm new to uni just like you. :)

Bio was pretty messed up this semester, especially with the midterm median being 58%... no curve given. And that's saying something, especially since the exam was all MC. But anyways, I went into the exam after having rewatched all the lectures ONCE only and memorizing the notes I took from it. I didn't make flow charts, study groups, spider webs, etc etc like they recommended, I just memorized the notes. I know people who watched each lecture 5 times and then proceeded to make posters (ikr) ... don't do that, it really is a waste of time. I found that if you just memorized what he said and all the stuff on each slide, there should be no reason you shouldn't do well. His analogy with "turning straw into gold" isn't totally true, since you need straw in the first place to make gold. Using this strategy, I got 95% on the midterm and 87% on the final exam, I got destroyed by the short answer section on the final :( but I nearly got perfect on MC. Your 3.3 isnt that bad, especially considering how hard the midterm was. Next semester bio should be easier, so we should be able to pull some nice marks in that class. :)

As for chem, sadly I heard from a lot of people that second semester chem is worlds harder than first semester. I honestly didn't find chem that hard and my chem mark from high school was pretty mediocre. I think the key to that course is just taking the time to read and keep up with the homework, the questions on the exams don't really drift THAT far from the material in the booklet. That being said, I did keep up with the daily work and readings for chem for the whole semester, I spent probably and average of 30 mins a day on chem and during final exams, 2 hours a day on chem. The key, however, is that I spent a decent amount of time on the course EVERYDAY, as I did for all my other courses. I never had to sleep later than 12 am, even during exam time, but I did waste a lot of time watching youtube into the night LOL. But by keeping up with the work on a daily basis, I went into the chem final with over 100% including labs/tuts thanks to the bonus on the midterm. I finished with 97 after making 2 really stupid mistakes on the final.

In terms of your plan to study 6-7 hours a day... it really shouldn't be necessary. Quality over quantity :) Your current 3-4 hours should be enough I think, maybe put in a bit more time for chem since it's supposed to get a lot harder. Do you take zinke? Don't even go to his class. I spent the hour of his class in the library forcing myself to study physics, so I kind of kept up with the course unlike most people. I probably averaged about 1.5 hours of physics work a week. I still found the exam very hard, but luckily zinke is the only course that's curved at western. Somehow I ended up with 99 in the course LOL.

Another thing is don't ever have the mentality that a course is easy, treat every course, especially in first year, like the midterm/final will be the hardest thing in the world. University is very different from highschool, and I found that tackling each course with this mentality really helped. Also, for the courses you got 4.0s in, next semester still treat them the same way. 4.0 this semester doesn't mean 4.0 next semester. Even though I had 5 4.0s, I plan to approach each course with the mentality that I will be fighting for a 3.7. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Hope that helps! Good luck with next semester

Another thing is don't ever have the mentality that a course is easy, treat every course, especially in first year, like the midterm/final will be the hardest thing in the world. University is very different from highschool, and I found that tackling each course with this mentality really helped. Also, for the courses you got 4.0s in, next semester still treat them the same way. 4.0 this semester doesn't mean 4.0 next semester. Even though I had 5 4.0s, I plan to approach each course with the mentality that I will be fighting for a 3.7. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Approaching courses with this mindset has served me very well

I'm not...

Didn't you get banned on your other account david_66?

Why am I getting such ridiculous responses? What did I say in the OP to make it seem like I was trolling? I'm simply asking if upper year courses are IQ-based because I have a hard time with memorization and take a long time to absorb/fully grasp concepts.

Take a long hard look at your OP. If you still can't figure out why your post is ridiculous, then let's just say you will indeed have trouble with upper year courses, and leave it at that.

Does anyone think if I compete in powerlifting (which is honestly the only hobby I really enjoy) it will help my application/interview, or will they think I just took steroids?

And this as well? Dude, I...I'm...what...I...(facepalm)

thanks for the advice LOL one of my goals is to go to the gym more often second semester.

Wow you got a 4.0 in physics 1301??? that's insane! That's way harder than zinke and a 4.0 in mittler physics is a really big achievement, considering most people I know got destroyed on that exam. You clearly have what it takes to get high in chem + bio if you're capable of 4.0 in mittler, I guess its's just a matter of finding the right study method that works for you.

As for calc... I ended grade 12 calc with a 78 LOL so math was never my strong point. I went into the final exam feeling confident but too bad for us Western decided to give our year "the hardest exam in 25 years" haha. I ended up with 96 in that class but only because I they gave us the 10 mark boost... I got really lucky there, my final exam mark was barely 85. Unlike you I really don't like math, it was such a chore doing the practice problems for me, I'm just trying to get it over with this year.

As a fellow UWO undergrad who just finished 1st semester of 1st year as well I'd have to say that I agree with all the advice that OMGITWONTFI gave in this thread; pretty comprehensive advice IMO. I know I for one will be following that physics advice lol

On a side note the calc final adjustment was actually such a blessing for me personally, since I ended with a 90 on the dot after it got bumped

I'm kind of pissed about the calculus linear adjustment tbh. I didn't benefit from the 10% bonus because they topped the exam mark at 98% which was my raw score. I basically got the same mark as someone that got 10% lower than me on the exam... notsureifsrs, lol (yeah i'm selfish as **** but what can you do when you're bombing all your other courses LOL)

Mittler is easier than Zinkie (if you can do grade 7 algebra anyway). I heard 2nd term 1302 was hard though, so I'll stop talking before I get a 60 in second sem physics >_<;;

By the way, each hour you spend in the gym, you'll have to sleep an extra hour. If you're going all out at the gym anyway, lol.

98% raw score on that calc exam... you must be like the biggest math buff LOL and yea im gonna try to get at least 8 hours a day of sleep starting second semester, I find I waste too much time doing random stuff when I could be sleeping haha

Archived