Premed 101 Forums

Flight discounts for CaRMS

Anonymau5

Scotiabank has the Passport Visa which gives you 5% discount on all flights. It also gives you insurance for trip cancellation/interruption, cars, luggage, medical and hotel theft. The annual fee is waived for med students/doctors. The rewards aren't quite as good as the RBC Avion (only 1% cashback) but if you're booking tons of flights e.g. for CaRMS i think the 5% cashback is worth it.

Its a great deal but we need proof of 35k income I believe, and they won't accept just your word.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can see they just offer 1% cashback which is average. Scotia is also 1% except they have the 5% cashback perk on all flights purchased with the card, and also 4% back on gas/groceries/restaurants etc if you get the Mastercard (not visa) version. RBC Avion also has a visa card that gives you more like 2% back (1:1 for points but 15,000 points will get you a short-haul round trip which probably costs more around 30,000 points/$300 with other cards). Yes, I've probably done way too much research into this. Also the non-airline credit cards usually let you purchase flights with any airline, whereas a Westjet card you'd only get to use on Westjet.

Not trying to bash Westjet here, I love flying with them...just want to make sure you guys are aware of all the options. Is there anything else that's good about the Westjet card that I'm missing?

Anyone know when Westjet tends to have big sales? Any trends in the past ? (ie - emails of sales on certain days of the week, certain times of the year, etc). I know in the past Air Canada used to have sale offers on Mondays. I'm broke and need all the promo's I can get.

Scotiabank has the Passport Visa which gives you 5% discount on all flights. It also gives you insurance for trip cancellation/interruption, cars, luggage, medical and hotel theft. The annual fee is waived for med students/doctors. The rewards aren't quite as good as the RBC Avion (only 1% cashback) but if you're booking tons of flights e.g. for CaRMS i think the 5% cashback is worth it.

WTF, I just switched my LOC to Scotia and was never told about this. I just got the 1% cashback card.

WTF, I just switched my LOC to Scotia and was never told about this. I just got the 1% cashback card.

Call up your small-business manager / whoever is in charge of handling your accounts and tell them you want the Visa Gold card. It should get sorted pretty quickly.

Call up your small-business manager / whoever is in charge of handling your accounts and tell them you want the Visa Gold card. It should get sorted pretty quickly.

exactly :)

I am not sure if all branches do it - they made a point of mentioning that to us here. Still it seems pretty common.

I booked my hotels through Hotels.com. They offer one free night if you book 10 nights and they have great discounts on hotels all over the country. Also have a map section where you can easily find hotels in close proximity to your interview location.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Use this one "7D0Q4CD", 15% off, better than the CFMS one.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfaresandmore/discount-codes/rbc1

Special offer to Canadian Medical Students | Fly off to your interviews with 15% off base fares.
Take the stress off with 15% off any base fare for travel to any Canadian WestJet destination during your Residency Interviews.* Simply use the discount code below and book your flight before January 4, 2019, for travel from January 7 to February 7, 2019. Use your discount code, add your WestJet Rewards ID when you book your flights and watch the savings take off.

Discount code: 7D0Q4CD
Book by: January 4, 2019 (9:59 p.m. MT) 
Travel period: January 7 - February 7, 2019 

Offer destinations: Canada only.

Archived