Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites (2013)

I know for a fact that the idea that all Aboriginal applicants who meet the cut offs get interviews is BS. I am an Aboriginal applicant (and not that it's anyone's business but my cGPA and VR are both above the average for last years admitted applicants). I have spoken to other Aboriginal applicants on these boards (by PM because you cannot mention that you are an Aboriginal applicant on these boards without people feeling the need to unload on you) and know of one person who had very competitive numbers (i won't say what they were as it's not my place) but did not get an interview.

It's also not anyone's job to be judging whether I am Aboriginal-enough. Whether I fit your concept of what an Aboriginal person is (from a First Nation) or if I am an urban Aboriginal person whose urban Aboriginal parents worked their asses off to provide a better life and valued my education is none of anyone's business. I am an Aboriginal woman who wants to use the practice of medicine to better my community and if medical schools see that as a desirable characteristic (as one of the many factors they consider) then good for them.

***LIKE***

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know for a fact that the idea that all Aboriginal applicants who meet the cut offs get interviews is BS. I am an Aboriginal applicant (and not that it's anyone's business but my cGPA and VR are both above the average for last years admitted applicants). I have spoken to other Aboriginal applicants on these boards (by PM because you cannot mention that you are an Aboriginal applicant on these boards without people feeling the need to unload on you) and know of one person who had very competitive numbers (i won't say what they were as it's not my place) but did not get an interview.

It's also not anyone's job to be judging whether I am Aboriginal-enough. Whether I fit your concept of what an Aboriginal person is (from a First Nation) or if I am an urban Aboriginal person whose urban Aboriginal parents worked their asses off to provide a better life and valued my education is none of anyone's business. I am an Aboriginal woman who wants to use the practice of medicine to better my community and if medical schools see that as a desirable characteristic (as one of the many factors they consider) then good for them.

WIN

+1

10char

I don't post much, but I just wanted to say that the world needs more people like you, Jill. I'm rooting for you to get in, we could use more doctors like you.

Invite/Rejection: Rejection

cGPA: 3.77

VR Score: 9

How you felt the CASPER went: I thought I did really well... I guess not now?

In province or out of province: IP

Current year : non-trad, mature applicant, graduated MA History 2009

I would assume that my 9 on the VR was just too low of a score to secure the interview and that I didn't do quite as stellar on the CASPER as I had originally thought, as it seems that there are quite a few people with a lesser GPA who secured an interview.

Thoughts?

Applied: Mac, NOSM

Rejected: Mac

Invited: NOSM

Invite/Rejection: Rejection

cGPA: 3.77

VR Score: 9

How you felt the CASPER went: I thought I did really well... I guess not now?

In province or out of province: IP

Current year : non-trad, mature applicant, graduated MA History 2009

I would assume that my 9 on the VR was just too low of a score to secure the interview and that I didn't do quite as stellar on the CASPER as I had originally thought, as it seems that there are quite a few people with a lesser GPA who secured an interview.

Thoughts?

Applied: Mac, NOSM

Rejected: Mac

Invited: NOSM

I know of someone who had a gpa close to yours and a VR of 8 without the 1% boost from masters to get an invite. I believe it was your CASPer. A higher VR would definitely help but I wouldn't repeat the MCAT if you're not confident on getting a higher score.

Kill the NOSM interview :)

Invite/Rejection: Invite

cGPA: 3.8ish (I'm on a weird 4.33 scale and forget exactly what OMSAS scaled me to)

VR Score: 12

How you felt the CASPER went: I thought it was decent overall. Bombed a few questions, had really good answers for others

In province or out of province: Out of province

Currently year: 4th year in Health Sciences (Honours)

I know of someone who had a gpa close to yours and a VR of 8 without the 1% boost from masters to get an invite. I believe it was your CASPer. A higher VR would definitely help but I wouldn't repeat the MCAT if you're not confident on getting a higher score.

Kill the NOSM interview :)

Thanks trojjanhorse! Feeling good about it going in :)

Hope your Mac interview went well.

RR

Thanks trojjanhorse! Feeling good about it going in :)

Hope your Mac interview went well.

RR

np bud. Mac went well :D

I just had another look at your stats. When I compare it with my stats, I had 3.75 and 11 vr... you think you can score better on VR? a 10 would put you on an awesome position. ONLY attempt if you think you can. If you need help, pm me and i can prep you for casper.

Archived