Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites (2013)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Invite/Rejection: Invite

cGPA: 3.71

VR Score: 8

How you felt the CASPER went: I thought that I didn't do so well since I felt rushed.

In province or out of province: in province

Currently year: Complete Bsn Nursing 2 years ago

This sounds pure bs there is almost no way you can recover from a 3.71 and a verbal of 8.

What is wrong with my statement?

Where to begin. Find an idlenomore teach-in and learn to check your racism.

Anyways. I'm a long-time lurker and very excited to be posting here!

Invite/Rejection: Invite

cGPA: 3.98/4.5, I've forgotten how this converts to OMSAS gpa.

VR Score: 11

How you felt the CASPER went: I had no idea. Apparently it was alright.

In province or out of province: OOP

Currently year: last couple credits of my science undergrad

Checked my junk folder, and found out I got off the waitlist yesterday.

Interviewing on April 6th.

Well... this is new.

Timestamp and Format: Snail-mail

Invite/Rejection: Waitlisted.

cGPA: ~3.8ish

VR Score: 11

How you felt the CASPER went: Barely average.

In province or out of province: IP

Currently year: Post-undergrad(?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where to begin. Find an idlenomore teach-in and learn to check your racism.

NO. U check YOUR racism. YOUR the one who thinks its ok to make admissions about race, you racist.

Its no fair that aboriginals get a free ride, just need 6 VR and 3.0 GPA BOOM insta-interview, meanwhile the rest of us have to slave away from a 5% chance of acceptance.

NO. U check YOUR racism. YOUR the one who thinks its ok to make admissions about race, you racist.

Its no fair that aboriginals get a free ride, just need 6 VR and 3.0 GPA BOOM insta-interview, meanwhile the rest of us have to slave away from a 5% chance of acceptance.

I seriously hope you are joking (and a very bad joke at that)... Free ride?! I don't think you understand the politics of colonization that occurred in history!! Not only did colonizers strip this land, they essentially disseminated entire populations. The trauma this has caused aboriginal people is terrible. I just want to point out aboriginal women didn't even receive the right to vote in Canada until 1960... That really isn't that long ago; we discovered DNA before we gave equal voting rights to all Canadians; and yet call ourselves advanced. Lets not even kid ourselves over forced sterilization, rape, residential school... Wario lets be real they don't just let anyone into medical school; the cut offs might be lower but to assume that all aboriginal people just meet the cutoffs and call it a day is false.

I'm incredibly offended that you would even use the word slave in that sentence up there and try and make your situation comparable to theirs in any means!! The fact that you even set up an us vs. them dichotomy is problematic in itself... I actually need more time before engaging you in this conversation because its incredibly offensive and I'm aw-struck. Your sense of entitlement to medicine is endearing; to somehow think you are better Or more deseving even though its highly unlikely that you were afforded the same opportunities- is mind boggling. You are actually demonstrating the engrained racism of Canadians against aboriginals in society. Biases like these need to be kept in check; inthesticks pretty much summed up how I feel in the post above.

I understand where both sides are coming from here. I know of people who were 1/4 first nations, came from a wealthy family, and got multiple acceptances(6-7 I believe). I seriously doubt that that individual was seriously affected by English colonialism...so much so that their grades and their ability to study were affected. They had decent grades and an average MCAT, those acceptances IMO were not solely because of their achievements. However, I do understand that minorities respond better to treatment when they have a member of their own race as their doctor and they are under represented in medicine.

I would not have any issue with someone getting accepted with lower statistics if they underwent hardship financially and grew up on a reserve (I have seen the conditions there). Making a blanket statement about all individuals who are of first nations decent saying they are scarred and deserve lower entry scores is also misplaced.

I think the system should move more toward a standard for socioeconomic status like in the USA. If your family was poor, you grew up disadvantaged or in a disadvantaged area then you should be placed in a different stream. It is not perfect but it begins to move beyond race as a criteria even if race does predict poverty and education level fairly efficiently. It would also include individuals of mixed racial origins or even caucasians that have endured hardships (like abject poverty) and could not compete.

In the end though we are talking about what 3-5 spots per school in a given year...they are not giving away seats like candy lol. Also, we have to trust thr admissions committee. I am sure they have dine their homework. It is beneficial for our country and the health of first nations communities if they have doctors that understand their cultural needs and will contribute to those communities.

In the end though we are talking about what 3-5 spots per school in a given year...they are not giving away seats like candy lol. Also, we have to trust thr admissions committee. I am sure they have dine their homework. It is beneficial for our country and the health of first nations communities if they have doctors that understand their cultural needs and will contribute to those communities.

Though I didn't think I was making a blanket statement, I understand where you are coming from and I do agree with a lot of what you say.

I guess my anger just stems from the fact that an individual of aboriginal descent posted their scores in excitement of getting an interview (because it is super exciting) and then almost immediately got harped on. They got criticized for being aboriginal, as if their achievement of getting an interview wasn't an accomplishment and moreover that who they are is not something to be proud of.

I thought that reflected poorly on all of us because I would feel like crap reading that many people were unhappy that I got an interview simply because I was aboriginal. (I'm not aboriginal, I do not know how this would feel but I imagine I would feel like crap reading the comments like "giving away spots like candy"). It was incredibly discouraging for me to read.

I thought that reflected poorly on all of us because I would feel like crap reading that many people were unhappy that I got an interview simply because I was aboriginal. (I'm not aboriginal, I do not know how this would feel but I imagine I would feel like crap reading the comments like "giving away spots like candy"). It was incredibly discouraging for me to read.

I definitely agree with this as well.

NO. U check YOUR racism. YOU'RE** the one who thinks its Ok** to make admissions about race, you racist.

It's** not** fair that aboriginals get a free ride, just need 6 VR and 3.0 GPA BOOM insta-interview, meanwhile the rest of us have to slave away for** a 5% chance of acceptance.

I don't call people out on BS very often, but you're an idiot.

I personally know many Aboriginal applicants. Many are as competitive, if not more, than the 'regular' applicant pool. Yea sure, in some cases a lower standard will get you in being Aboriginal.

But, I would like to see the one person who got in with a 6/3.0

Get a life, deal with the cards you're dealt, and quit complaining.

I don't call people out on BS very often, but you're an idiot.

I personally know many Aboriginal applicants. Many are as competitive, if not more, than the 'regular' applicant pool. Yea sure, in some cases a lower standard will get you in being Aboriginal.

But, I would like to see the one person who got in with a 6/3.0

Get a life, deal with the cards you're dealt, and quit complaining.

I know for a fact that the idea that all Aboriginal applicants who meet the cut offs get interviews is BS. I am an Aboriginal applicant (and not that it's anyone's business but my cGPA and VR are both above the average for last years admitted applicants). I have spoken to other Aboriginal applicants on these boards (by PM because you cannot mention that you are an Aboriginal applicant on these boards without people feeling the need to unload on you) and know of one person who had very competitive numbers (i won't say what they were as it's not my place) but did not get an interview.

It's also not anyone's job to be judging whether I am Aboriginal-enough. Whether I fit your concept of what an Aboriginal person is (from a First Nation) or if I am an urban Aboriginal person whose urban Aboriginal parents worked their asses off to provide a better life and valued my education is none of anyone's business. I am an Aboriginal woman who wants to use the practice of medicine to better my community and if medical schools see that as a desirable characteristic (as one of the many factors they consider) then good for them.

Archived