Premed 101 Forums

Interview Hair (Ladies)

Cee23

Hey guys!

I'm having a little trouble deciding how I should style my hair for my interview. Last year, I pulled it back but I want to try something a little different this time. My hair is a little shorter than last year so I'm considering just leaving it down. Keep in mind, my hair looks something like this (but jet black with more defined curls [not so messy]):

CW+CBS+Showtime+CBS+Television+TCA+Party+dEFOxGBZzjRl.jpg

I'm afraid it might come off too casual but I kind of want to stick to my guns and go for something more natural. I could go straight, but I don't feel like conforming... I also have a big forehead and don't want it to be the star!

..what are your thoughts?

I think it doesn't matter. As long as it's tidy, you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

The only thing is - if you play with your hair a lot, you might want to consider keeping it out of the way. I play with my hair a lot when I am nervous, so I put it up to keep my hands out of it :P

I think it doesn't matter. As long as it's tidy, you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

The only thing is - if you play with your hair a lot, you might want to consider keping it out of the way. I play with my hair a lot when I am nervous, so I put it up to keep my hands out of it :P

The same thing occurred to me! I definitely have a tendency to fidget with my hair especially when i'm nervous and this contributed to my decision to wear it back in a pony tail. I also like the way a sleek pony tail is both professional and feminine. However, I don't think there's any problem wearing your hair curly and down. I think, as long as you look neat and professional, the biggest difference your appearance makes is in how you feel. You want to feel as confident as you can so it's important to choose a "look" that makes you feel that way.

Good luck to everybody!

Just make sure it's tidy! In clinical skills we're told that we must always have our hair tied back, so that is the expectation for medical students and i guess practicing physicians in hospital settings, so if you wanted to go the more traditional route, that's one point toward it, but either way you definitely won't be judged on whether your hair is up or down as long as you look professional!

Just another question, should we wear nylonish socks with our shoes or is barefoot in the shoes okay?

With pants or with a skirt?

1. Pants - you could -probably- get away with a bare foot (assuming these are closed toed shoes) - but I'd err on the side of being conservative and wear a nylon or a pair of tights.

2. Skirt - tights or nylons, please.

The only thing is - if you play with your hair a lot, you might want to consider keeping it out of the way. I play with my hair a lot when I am nervous, so I put it up to keep my hands out of it :P

This!

Also; you look more open with your hair pulled back - so that is something you may also want to consider. I enjoy hiding behind my bangs.

I was wondering whether anybody had recommendations for how to deal with hair and makeup. I have curly hair (think a large ball of frizz if untamed) and I'd like to get my hair done the day of in Mississauga, but then would have to travel to Hamilton for my interview mid morning.

It seems better to have it done the day of but I'm wondering if I'll have enough time if my appointment is at 9 AM and the interview's at 11:30. Would it then be better to do it the night before? In that case, does anybody have tips on maintaining it? I was thinking of getting the curls done and half pinned up

As well, would doing my makeup be better done in a salon (in which case the same problem still stands) or at home? I thought it would be one less thing to worry about if it was professionally done, but the timings definitely seem tight

Any advice would be absolutely wonderful

Thanks very much in advance

I was wondering whether anybody had recommendations for how to deal with hair and makeup. I have curly hair (think a large ball of frizz if untamed) and I'd like to get my hair done the day of in Mississauga, but then would have to travel to Hamilton for my interview mid morning.

It seems better to have it done the day of but I'm wondering if I'll have enough time if my appointment is at 9 AM and the interview's at 11:30. Would it then be better to do it the night before? In that case, does anybody have tips on maintaining it? I was thinking of getting the curls done and half pinned up

As well, would doing my makeup be better done in a salon (in which case the same problem still stands) or at home? I thought it would be one less thing to worry about if it was professionally done, but the timings definitely seem tight

Any advice would be absolutely wonderful

Thanks very much in advance

So, this is just my opinion (which I assume is what you're looking for or you wouldn't have asked :) ) but I would be careful to ensure that professionally done hair and makeup doesn't look too prom or bridesmaid-y. Perhaps I just associate going to a pro for hair and makeup with up-dos and prom dresses because that's when you usually see them. Perhaps you could steer them in the less-is-more direction. Maybe that goes without saying but I would just be worried about looking like a professional from the neck down and New Year's Eve from the neck up.

I totally hear you about having one less thing to worry about the day of. You want to be able to focus on keeping a cool head for the task at hand. If, then, the process of getting your hair and makeup done puts you at risk of being rushed and flustered or (God forbid) late, that might act against what you're trying to achieve.

If you think it will be a time-saving way to get professional looking hair and makeup, then it seems like a great idea!

Good luck!

So, this is just my opinion (which I assume is what you're looking for or you wouldn't have asked :) ) but I would be careful to ensure that professionally done hair and makeup doesn't look to prom or bridesmaid-y. Perhaps I just associate going to a pro for hair and makeup with up-dos and prom dresses because that's when you usually see them. Perhaps you could steer them in the less-is-more direction. Maybe that goes without saying but I would just be worried about looking like a professional from the neck down and New Year's Eve from the neck up.

I totally hear you about having one less thing to worry about the day of. You want to be able to focus on keeping a cool head for the task at hand. If, then, the process of getting your hair and makeup done puts you at risk of being rushed and flustered or (God forbid) late, that might act against what you're trying to achieve.

If you think it will be a time-saving way to get professional looking hair and makeup, then it seems like a great idea!

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of the advice. I will definitely keep all of it in mind. I just want my hair tamed. the problem is that when I do it myself, it doesn't "stay down". Perhaps doing it the day before would be a better option then, because I would sleep in it overnight and it could be more natural. I decided on doing my makeup myself because I think it'll be less stressful; it's hard to communicate the exact look you want sometimes and if its done wrong, then you need to redo it yourself.

I wasn't interested in anything particularly grand - just simple and professional. I was planning to get a haircut and style done well before the day so I knew what it would look like and just a wash and style on the actual day. I've been going to the same salon for years so I figured that it'd be the safest choice considering my previous hair disasters.

Would you recommend doing it the night before then so that the curls loosen out? Or if you favour doing it at home, do you have any tips or suggestions for making the process relatively pain free?

Thanks again for everything!

Archived