Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview wait

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The McGill statistics are kind of misleading though. The AFMC includes Med-P students who are going on into MD,CM in their total number of accepted applicants. While they do get 'accepted' out of Med-P and into MD,CM, we aren't really applying along with those people. That's why there are 180+ students 'accepted' on this document, but only 85 of those are actually for MD-ROQ-U applicants... I don't know if the statistics that they've done are also wrong because of this... If anyone knows whether the stats are still relevant please let us know!

On the plus side, last year there were only 5 offers declined, but 17 (!) deferred. So up to 22 spots on the waitlist could move!

On the plus side, last year there were only 5 offers declined, but 17 (!) deferred. So up to 22 spots on the waitlist could move!

If you look on the page above, it has the statistics for MEDP which seem reasonable (2011/2012 has 85 admitted, 32 admitted and refused). I think then for the MDCM, it includes the admitted MEDP students who are already attending McGill and starting their MED-1 year. So that would be the total number of students starting MED-1. It makes sense that the number of refusals for MDCM would be proportionally lower because pretty much all of the MEDP students will enter into MED-1 their next year.

However, 5-22 waitlist spots is still not a lot... Not to sound negative, but my international student friend got the impression during their interviews that their waitlist moves a lot. This makes me think that most of the offer and refusal people may be international (or OOP), while most of the waitlist movement in province would be from deferrals?

This is all speculation though! I have no evidence for any of this.

The McGill statistics are kind of misleading though. The AFMC includes Med-P students who are going on into MD,CM in their total number of accepted applicants. While they do get 'accepted' out of Med-P and into MD,CM, we aren't really applying along with those people. That's why there are 180+ students 'accepted' on this document, but only 85 of those are actually for MD-ROQ-U applicants... I don't know if the statistics that they've done are also wrong because of this... If anyone knows whether the stats are still relevant please let us know!

wow 17!? are you sure? :o I thought deferral was quite strict and only allowed under very special circumstances. Also does this mean that this year there could be 17 less spots available if ppl with acceptances from last year are joining the class?

edit: Just saw the deferrals on the PDF file, its indeed 17 lol

wow 17!? are you sure? :o I thought deferral was quite strict and only allowed under very special circumstances. Also does this mean that this year there could be 17 less spots available if ppl with acceptances from last year are joining the class?

edit: Just saw the deferrals on the PDF file, its indeed 17 lol

I believe the deferred applicants fall into last year's spots (since they were granted admission last year).

I believe the deferred applicants fall into last year's spots (since they were granted admission last year).

I could be wrong, but I don't think so since McGill reoffered just as many spots for u-applicants last year, but there will be more deferrals this year anyway, and with the strike from last year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see just as many deferrals this year.

Also, these deferrals could all be from Cegep applicants, we don’t know…

I don't get why there are so many deferrals. Is this a bad sign and reflects the declining situation in Montreal? Kind of worrying to me.

:confused: Montreal is not perfect, but Montreal is still amazing, and I am SO in love with the city. Deferrals may be granted for the following reasons (this list is not exhaustive): 1) Unforeseen personal emergencies or obligations (request should be supported with relevant documentation); 2) for the purpose of finalizing the obtention of an advanced degree.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/once-you-have-applied/deferred-admission

Maybe you should consider another city, such as Toronto, or Calgary which is booming like crazy, and there is a lot of cash over there.

By looking at your profile, you also said this earlier:

"DOES NO ONE SALT THE SIDEWALKS HERE IN MONTREAL??? My feet are soaking wet from all the slush...:( Was not prepared for this."

and this:

"Nice! I'm technically not from the U.S. but did my undergrad degree here. I just hope all the issues I've been hearing about Montréal are just exaggerated in the media."

Me thinks you are a troll. :cool:

And just for the record, you may wanna read this:

"Looking out over the skyline of Montreal's downtown core, it's easy to see that things are changing. Cranes can be seen, hammers can be heard and new buildings seem to be going up overnight. There's no question that Montreal is undergoing a boom in development."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/homes/Montreal+changing+skyline/8005921/story.html

and this

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Developer+plans+create+huge+downtown/8100682/story.html

And concerning health care now:

"As one of the most innovative academic health centres in North America, the McGill University Health Centre’s (MUHC) Glen site will transform patient care and provide a state-of-the-art learning environment for the next generation of healthcare professionals. Not only will the Glen have sophisticated patient-centred facilities, but it will house one of the most advanced research centres on the continent, bringing research from the lab to the bedside for the benefit of patients here and around the world."

muhc.png

and:

"The Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM) and the Collectif santé Montréal consortium are pleased to announce today the financial close and official signing of the partnership agreement to design, build, finance and maintain the new CHUM. The value of this agreement, set at $1.97 billion, is lower than the affordability criterion the Québec government authorized in December 2010. This 38.8-year partnership will lead to the opening, in 2016, of a fully operational 772-bed healthcare facility scheduled for completion in 2019."

chumontreal.jpg

Need more to convince you?

You know, there IS a lot of slush/snow here and there ARE political issues. So I didn't see you as a troll.

As long as weather and politics aren't deal breakers for you, then McGill is great! I would actually say that they are legitimate things to consider bc you have to be happy in your city!

Also, we'll know by tomorrow at midnight! 1 day, 15 hours!

You know, there IS a lot of slush/snow here and there ARE political issues. So I didn't see you as a troll.

As long as weather and politics aren't deal breakers for you, then McGill is great! I would actually say that they are legitimate things to consider bc you have to be happy in your city!

Also, we'll know by tomorrow at midnight! 1 day, 15 hours!

True! but this is nothing new.

But in a "declining situation" is harsh and simply not true.

Yup 1 day and 12 hours now :D

Anyone else driving themselves crazy by over-thinking everything? I've been trying to imagine what each outcome would feel like (acceptance, regrets or waitlist)... playing out each possibility in my mind, along with the whole spectrum of emotions that might be associated with the outcome. But I guess we just have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and hope for the best. Only ~25 hours!

Anyone else driving themselves crazy by over-thinking everything? I've been trying to imagine what each outcome would feel like (acceptance, regrets or waitlist)... playing out each possibility in my mind, along with the whole spectrum of emotions that might be associated with the outcome. But I guess we just have to prepare ourselves for the worst, and hope for the best. Only ~25 hours!

That seems like a very thorough emotional prep, I'm nowhere near as prepared ;)

Based on previous years, my bet is that we'll hear between 10-10:30pm tmrw, so hopefully only about 23hrs to go!

You aren't alone. :(

Archived