Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview wait

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone knows how many people were interviewed (and for how many positions) for the u-level applicant pool? Also, if anyone has an update on the final decision date, please let me know. :D

They said about 200 applicants for ~85 MD-ROQ-U spots. Final decision date according to Michel Dansereau is March 22nd!! Pretty speedy compared to the other schools, but the wait is still tense!

Yeah there was def. a lot of food. I wasn't expecting that they would let us take home the leftovers - kinda made me wonder how/if they stored the sandwich meat.

Minerva still says my transcripts are not received/processed either. I sent mine first week of feb.

I submitted 2 transcripts from two different universities, and only one of mine shows up as being received. Maybe it just takes some time to process... but it makes me feel better knowing that others are in the same situation.

....16 more days!

I know, same here!...

you can always check here in case they decide to release it earlier: https://twitter.com/aedmedmcgill

Meanwhile, I suggest you read this, if you haven't done so: http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/deptmedicine/pubs/TowardaNewCurriculum_final2013.pdf

The new curriculum seems great! :)

Thanks! This was great to kill some time, and learn about 'our' possible new curriculum for next year

Haha I was definitely hungry, the sandwiches were delicious. Definitely more food than I was expecting to get :)

Agreed! The food was such a pleasant surprise!

I was in the afternoon on my day, and they actually put all the leftovers in ziplock bags at the end and asked us to take it home after our interviews!

My guess is two of the following:

1) They do all their interviews (OOP,INTL,IP(UNI)) on the same weekend so they have all the info needed to make decisions quicker.

2) The pool for OOP/INTL (50/30?) is small and therefore they review the files much quicker. I'm not familiar with how many IP(UNI) interviews were extended so I can't really comment on that.

Does anyone know why McGill is able to send out acceptances/rejections before most of the other Canadian schools?

My guess is two of the following:

1) They do all their interviews (OOP,INTL,IP(UNI)) on the same weekend so they have all the info needed to make decisions quicker.

2) The pool for OOP/INTL (50/30?) is small and therefore they review the files much quicker. I'm not familiar with how many IP(UNI) interviews were extended so I can't really comment on that.

Their evaluation criteria (performance in MMI stations) also seems to be more simple to quantify and combine. When you consider that this takes 80% of the score, you can see how McGill's system is less subjectively operated.

Good point, especially since the other 20% is performance in the pre-requisite science courses... also easily evaluated since we already designated those in our MDSR ;) (http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/admissions/selection-process).

During the post-interview talk, mr dansereau seems a bit iffy about the 20% attributed to Pre-reqs... I think it's more complicated than a pure academic assessment

Take the scenario of a phd student applying. If he/she did the pre-reqs in cegep, their science knowledge may not be reflected in those grades.. So maybe they take the applicants context into consideration

Anyway we will see. T-9!

Archived