Premed 101 Forums

Does it make a difference which Canadian medical school you attend?

Does it?

For example, if you want to also teach at a medical school later on, or have a university admin post of some sort. Of course, they're all amazing medical schools. However, do things change as you move away from the big global names like U of T?

Does it?

For example, if you want to also teach at a medical school later on, or have a university admin post of some sort. Of course, they're all amazing medical schools. However, do things change as you move away from the big global names like U of T?

no +2charizards

Does it?

ha - just add another voice, absolutely not. Not in Canada anyway.

If you stay in Canada for your entire career there probably isn't a huge effect between Canadian medical schools. But if your career takes you beyond the borders of our rather-small-and-not-especially-influential country I think you would notice a difference in your prospects.

After all, a relatively inexperienced British medic will likely be treated very differently by people here in Canada if s/he completed medical school at Cambridge vs Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry of Exeter & Plymouth. Why should we expect the rest of the world to think of all Canadian medical schools as "amazing"?

If you stay in Canada for your entire career there probably isn't a huge effect between Canadian medical schools. But if your career takes you beyond the borders of our rather-small-and-not-especially-influential country I think you would notice a difference in your prospects.

After all, a relatively inexperienced British medic will likely be treated very differently by people here in Canada if s/he completed medical school at Cambridge vs Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry of Exeter & Plymouth. Why should we expect the rest of the world to think of all Canadian medical schools as "amazing"?

Makes me wonder how often that actually occurs - and should I add how often it occurs without someone doing an actual fellowship somewhere in the target country as well. You are only as good as your last degree and all that :)

To be honest I have no idea what the real differences between the two schools you mentioned either (although by your tone I can guess) - I can imagine a lot of places in the world, particularly because we are small and not influential wouldn't really know the differences between any of our schools either

Do European countries consider Canadian trained MDs the same way that Canada considers IMGs? I mean with respect to tests and residencies once you have an MD in hand.

Isn't north america the only place where international people really ever had a chance to practice? I believe you'll have 10x more trouble getting a residency in south dakota for rural family medicine as an IMG who's a US citizen, than a north american MD trying to get one in europe.

Yes it does, if you're planning on attending a competitive residency program. 3 year schools are at a serious disadvantage in this regard. If the school you are attending does not have a residency program in the residency you want, you will again be at a serious disadvantage. If you want to go into FM, IM, etc. it makes no difference.

Everybody likes to say that all the Canadian schools are equal in terms of international renown, because it gives everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling. Like most warm, fuzzy feelings, this is bull****. If you're applying to a big wig position, it couldn't hurt to be associated with a big name school like U of T or McGill. The other schools, I would argue, are equally obscure.

Yes it does, if you're planning on attending a competitive residency program. 3 year schools are at a serious disadvantage in this regard. If the school you are attending does not have a residency program in the residency you want, you will again be at a serious disadvantage. If you want to go into FM, IM, etc. it makes no difference.

Everybody likes to say that all the Canadian schools are equal in terms of international renown, because it gives everyone a warm, fuzzy feeling. Like most warm, fuzzy feelings, this is bull****. If you're applying to a big wig position, it couldn't hurt to be associated with a big name school like U of T or McGill. The other schools, I would argue, are equally obscure.

Probably depends on what you've achieved as well. I agree 3 year programs are at a disadvantage, but more so schools that are only P/F.

i think mcgill's overrated

i might be wrong but hasn't Mac had pretty good match rates for those competitive residency programs in recent years? again I could be wrong, navigating those stats is kind of tricky when you have a very limited understanding of the whole matching process

No +1 blastoise (1 can take care of 2 charizads, i'm sure)

i think mcgill's overrated

It is from a perspective of the US thinking it's some kind of super special Canadian Ivey League.

Even our best known schools (McGill and UofT) don't really impress people in the states the way their best known schools do (Harvard, Hopkins etc.). Most people probably haven't even heard of Canadian universities.

More specific question. For an NB acceptee: Dal or Mun?

I can only speak city wise as I live in Saint John, it will probably be slightly colder for slightly longer in St. John's but NL has more to offer. DMNB students use most things from UNBSJ as it is rather small (which is great because of small class size but also I prefer to be right there for lectures etc. as Dal is from a distance-Halifax) and although I love UNBSJ, the MUN campus itself has more than UNBSJ/DMNB as it has more students. The city itself well, nightlife in Saint John, not the best and will not be like George St. I do not go out much myself so it may not be a factor for you? Tuition is way better but housing costs will be worse... Also I have seen a lot of costs will be worse due to things being shipped over. The new med and research facilities are a plus. curriculum sounds awesome but it is the first year for it.. so there could be concerns. I do not believe MUN has been under probation like Dal was a couple years ago, Although I am sure everything has been more than worked out for that. St. John's is also home to an IMAX and is a bigger city in general so will come with all those pros and cons. I have also heard there is some cool festivals. The people, the people are nice here but exceptionally great there from what I have seen and heard. Saint John has two cool cities close by to go to for road trips and shopping but I think for NL, St. John's is where it's at. As a free man that is one tough choice! Good Luck!

I can only speak city wise as I live in Saint John, it will probably be slightly colder for slightly longer in St. John's but NL has more to offer. DMNB students use most things from UNBSJ as it is rather small (which is great because of small class size but also I prefer to be right there for lectures etc. as Dal is from a distance-Halifax) and although I love UNBSJ, the MUN campus itself has more than UNBSJ/DMNB as it has more students. The city itself well, nightlife in Saint John, not the best and will not be like George St. I do not go out much myself so it may not be a factor for you? Tuition is way better but housing costs will be worse... Also I have seen a lot of costs will be worse due to things being shipped over. The new med and research facilities are a plus. curriculum sounds awesome but it is the first year for it.. so there could be concerns. I do not believe MUN has been under probation like Dal was a couple years ago, Although I am sure everything has been more than worked out for that. St. John's is also home to an IMAX and is a bigger city in general so will come with all those pros and cons. I have also heard there is some cool festivals. The people, the people are nice here but exceptionally great there from what I have seen and heard. Saint John has two cool cities close by to go to for road trips and shopping but I think for NL, St. John's is where it's at. As a free man that is one tough choice! Good Luck!

I've lived in both. Saint John NB can't hold a candle to St. John's NL. There isn't even a debate.

If the choices are those two MUN for sure.

Halifax vs. St. John's might be a bit more debate.

Also, Saint John is much colder in the winter, but winter is shorter. Pick your poison there.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. From an education stand point, does it make a difference?

Overall probably not.

Dalhousie has been on probation recently so that's a knock against them, but that was a couple years ago so you gotta assume they have improved things a bit.

MUN has a new curriculum. That could be awesome or not so awesome, you can't tell at this point. Certainly the old curriculum was quite good, so I can't imagine this one will be horrible.

You'll get a good education at either.

True, but Dal also scored the highest in the country on the MCCQE part 1 in 2009. So it wasn't the quality of education that put Dal on probation - it was something to do with curriculum management/renewal.

Overall probably not.

Dalhousie has been on probation recently so that's a knock against them, but that was a couple years ago so you gotta assume they have improved things a bit.

MUN has a new curriculum. That could be awesome or not so awesome, you can't tell at this point. Certainly the old curriculum was quite good, so I can't imagine this one will be horrible.

You'll get a good education at either.

Yeah, the probation thing was almost entirely about administrative nonsense that didn't affect students in the slightest. I think the only "issue" was the lack of student lockers in one hospital site - they put some in somewhere but I still never used them as it wasn't really necessary.

On the other hand, the whole thing led to a curriculum renewal which is still working itself out.

Archived