Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

I don't think there's any info from other than what's been released in the invite emails. It sounds like four successive panel interviews, but each with only one interviewer.

The invite email also says "your interviewers will include current U of T medical faculty, postgraduate resident trainees, 4th year medical students and other members of the health professions".

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone comment a bit on the MPI interview style, except for what was written on the email? Will they be four traditional interviews or like MMIs where we are presented with a scenario and we have to talk about those. Any ideas?

I would wait until after this weekend, someone may be able to help you as to how to prepare.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm

In 2013 they interviewed 587 people for 259 spots. This means about 44% of those interviews eventually enrolled. My guess is they probably make offers to around 50% of interviewees, as they must have had people who turned them down, but Toronto being at or near the top of most peoples' lists, probably has a very high yield (high percentage of people accepting their offer).

Their yield (of all Ontario schools) was posted elsewhere and it was around 75% iirc. This makes their acceptance rate around 58%.

My email did have my OMSAS number and mailing address on it, so looks like they are sent individually.

It's possible, but they can also easily format emails so that it reads from a database and just inputs the correct information for the applicant. Though the times being so different for applicants is interesting.

If it is truly random order, I would think they would select applications to review in a non-biasing way (eg applicant date might be correlated with chances of acceptance): they may just review every nth application at a time (eg if they did six rounds the first round would be applications 1, 7, 13 etc... second round would be 2, 8, 14, etc...).

This would probably be the simplest way to have an unbiased sample which is required if they are to offer interviews before seeing all applicants...

If it is truly random order, I would think they would select applications to review in a non-biasing way (eg applicant date might be correlated with chances of acceptance): they may just review every nth application at a time (eg if they did six rounds the first round would be applications 1, 7, 13 etc... second round would be 2, 8, 14, etc...).

This would probably be the simplest way to have an unbiased sample which is required if they are to offer interviews before seeing all applicants...

If this is the case, wouldn't we expect more invites to be sent out to people who have sub-3.9 GPAs and sub-35 MCAT? So far only Westerngirl4 received an invite that had a below 3.9 GPA (3.89, so it was still pretty high)

That depends on whether sub 3.9 GPA will get an interview this year (they could choose to weight GPA more heavily and bias it upwards) as well as what the distribution of GPAs on premed101 is (eg: if most people here have 3.9+ then there would be few to post an offer with less than 3.9).

There are many ways to more or less randomly divide the applications into batches, the easiest I can think of is ordering the applications by OMSAS ID number, which is probably correlated with the date/time you *registered* for OMSAS.

Or you know, they just look at them in whatever order OMSAS orders them. Which would be when OMSAS sends them to Uoft. Which is probably the order which some random OMSAS employee happened to confirm all your references were in and decided your application is complete. Just sayin.

Just 20 individuals have posted out of an applicant pool of 3000+. I think it's extremely premature to draw any kind of conclusion from this very small, and certainly highly biased, sample.

I'm also not going to add "date of application submission" to the stats thread because it will be misleading for anyone else viewing that thread and also because our consensus is that this variable is not a reliable predictor of interview date.

Seems to me that the stats of those invited has increased drastically from last year. Maybe they have decided to weigh MCAT and GPA more heavily this year although it also seems like those posting invites also have stellar ECs.

I was under the impression that in Ontario the MCAT is really just a cut off. If you meet that cut off then GPA, ECs etc. are taken into account for granting interviews and accepting applicants post interview (i.e. doesn't matter that a 36 MCAT > 33 MCAT). The exception of course being McMaster with their verbal weightings. Am I mistaken? Is 9-9-9 not really a cut off for U of T? They actually weigh the mark you get on the MCAT in granting interviews? Is this the case for Western and Queen's too?

Thanks.

I was under the impression that in Ontario the MCAT is really just a cut off. If you meet that cut off then GPA, ECs etc. are taken into account for granting interviews and accepting applicants post interview (i.e. doesn't matter that a 36 MCAT > 33 MCAT). The exception of course being McMaster with their verbal weightings. Am I mistaken? Is 9-9-9 not really a cut off for U of T? They actually weigh the mark you get on the MCAT in granting interviews? Is this the case for Western and Queen's too?

Thanks.

I doubt that very much. For instance, many people might have equal GPA and ECs, but varied MCAT that is used to decide their rankings. Its a cutoff in the sense that if you don't meet it, your application is thrown out no matter how good the rest of it is.

On a similar note, I agree with the person that said the stats so far are incredible. I thought 3.95 + 37 MCAT was good, but almost everyone so far has better scores than me. Crazy good.

Archived