Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My cell just rang and it said it was an unknown Ontario number. I answered it all excited, convinced it was uoft calling because I hadn't responded to their invite email. Apparently im a "lucky winner" with WestJet. Not the call I was hoping for.

LOL I just got that same call. Apparently it is some sort of scam, because I read on twitter that WestJet said they never did it.

UofT just updated their Facebook page

"All interview invitations for January 25th have sent and confirmed. Some invitations for February 1st were sent today. Invitation e-mails will continue to go out next week. I will keep you updated!"

Seems as though the invites for the 1/2 only just started to go out

UofT just updated their Facebook page

"All interview invitations for January 25th have sent and confirmed. Some invitations for February 1st were sent today. Invitation e-mails will continue to go out next week. I will keep you updated!"

Seems as though the invites for the 1/2 only just started to go out

So they really do make sure people get their invites? I'm furiously checking all folders of my email every time my phone buzzes- gmail does all kinds of weird categorization with my stuff (premed101 was in 'Promotions' for a while, then moved to spam and then back??), glad to know that if I get an invite it doesn't end up in mordor or something and I'll never know I had one.

If you don't respond within a reasonable time period they will find alternative ways of contacting you.

I think people should be prepping for the interview regardless of whether they get an invite or not. If you prep early and end up not getting invited, you lose very little. If you prep early and do get an invite at short notice, the gain is very great.

If you don't respond within a reasonable time period they will find alternative ways of contacting you.

I think people should be prepping for the interview regardless of whether they get an invite or not. If you prep early and end up not getting invited, you lose very little. If you prep early and do get an invite at short notice, the gain is very great.

I agree - in theory you should be prepping once the apps go in (of course few are that organized :) ) . This is one of those skills that is best developed over an extended period of time (ie interviewing well is a skill as opposed just a knowledge based activity)

How much time do people generally spend preparing for interviews and what do they do to prepare themselves (aside form going over questions and practicing talking).

I know it varies by person but just curious how much practice can make a difference for something that people should be comfortable doing regularly which is interacting with other people.

How much time do people generally spend preparing for interviews and what do they do to prepare themselves (aside form going over questions and practicing talking).

I know it varies by person but just curious how much practice can make a difference for something that people should be comfortable doing regularly which is interacting with other people.

I started preparing approximately 1 week before my interview. I chose not to practice as much because I wanted to appear natural, rather than reading off a script, during my interview. This way, at least you will not feel as worried about forgetting a line or two during the interview.

I started preparing approximately 1 week before my interview. I chose not to practice as much because I wanted to appear natural, rather than reading off a script, during my interview. This way, at least you will not feel as worried about forgetting a line or two during the interview.

I like the sound of that kind of prep, I find for myself that if I have to do some sort of public speaking (presentations, meetings, TAing, etc.) that I do better without a defined 'script.' I just decide the key things I need to say and work around that framework and let the rest flow naturally. I get nervous before public speaking events, so I find that in the past if I've tried to learn a 'script,' I just get worried that I'll forget a line and get even more anxious. I know for some that they can memorize things and sound natural, but I just sound like a robot!

So they really do make sure people get their invites? I'm furiously checking all folders of my email every time my phone buzzes- gmail does all kinds of weird categorization with my stuff (premed101 was in 'Promotions' for a while, then moved to spam and then back??), glad to know that if I get an invite it doesn't end up in mordor or something and I'll never know I had one.

When you get the interview invite, you are required to email back to confirm your attendance. I think that's what it means by 'confirmed'; I'm not 100% sure though.

Archived