Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

True, but I don't think it's too far of a reach to look at the people who have posted invites and see that the majority (by far) are grad students.

I wouldn't look into it just yet. A sample size of 7 is very small and many don't post here at all. It could be the case that mostly grad files have been reviewed to date but I wouldn't conclude that just based on what you see here today.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't look into it just yet. A sample size of 7 is very small and many don't post here at all. It could be the case that mostly grad files have been reviewed to date but I wouldn't conclude that just based on what you see here today.

As a grad applicant, I'd be very bummed if that were the case! Here's to tomorrow bringing us all invites :D

As a grad applicant, I'd be very bummed if that were the case! Here's to tomorrow bringing us all invites :D

I didn't mean it that way! UofT has a lot of grad applicants and I didn't mean to imply that grad files are mostly done. This is almost certainly not the case. I was just trying to say that little can be guessed based on one day of invites, lol.

In terms of people worrying about the timing of the release of invites for some applicants vs. others, grads vs. UG etc. etc....

I personally know three people who are responsible for grading applications this year... all three of which haven't even started to review their applications yet. These applications are essentially a big pile on their desks. They have all admitted that they "need to get on it" beecause the U of T is bothering them to submit their evaluations, but herein lies the reasoning for why some people get their invites now, and others have to wait (in agony). Those that have thier invites (or rejections?) right now are simply those whose reviewers are on the ball and submitted their evaluations in a timely manner. Those who have yet to hear back, unfortunately, have reviewers like my three colleagues.

It's as simple as that.

In terms of people worrying about the timing of the release of invites for some applicants vs. others, grads vs. UG etc. etc....

I personally know three people who are responsible for grading applications this year... all three of which haven't even started to review their applications yet. These applications are essentially a big pile on their desks. They have all admitted that they "need to get on it" beecause the U of T is bothering them to submit their evaluations, but herein lies the reasoning for why some people get their invites now, and others have to wait (in agony). Those that have thier invites (or rejections?) right now are simply those whose reviewers are on the ball and submitted their evaluations in a timely manner. Those who have yet to hear back, unfortunately, have reviewers like my three colleagues.

It's as simple as that.

I disagree. While your point does occur, that is not the major reason for later invites. Different reviewers are sent the files at different times. I know people who will be receiving files this weekend and after. Every file reviewer did not get all the files at the same time so the staggered pattern of invites is something intended by the admissions office and not due to pure laziness on the part of the reviewers.

Both physicians and medical students are involved here and everyone has lives of their own. We've got major exams basically immediately after every interview weekend but many in my class are taking the time to volunteer during the interviews to make the interviewees feel welcome and relaxed. I know enough people doing file reviews to say that the vast majority are professional with the timing.

I don't think you should extrapolate based on your 3 friends.

So essentially we are saying the same thing... the reason for staggered invites is that applications just haven't been reviewed yet. This was more my point than solely due to laziness... I just used my colleagues as a concrete example.

As I re-read my OP I see that it assumes that everyone has received their applications to grade... so thank you for correcting that.. I didn't realize some hadn't even received applications yet.

It's as simple as that.

Are there usually only one person scoring each application or are there more?

I disagree. While your point does occur, that is not the major reason for later invites. Different reviewers are sent the files at different times. I know people who will be receiving files this weekend and after. Every file reviewer did not get all the files at the same time so the staggered pattern of invites is something intended by the admissions office and not due to pure laziness on the part of the reviewers.

Both physicians and medical students are involved here and everyone has lives of their own. We've got major exams basically immediately after every interview weekend but many in my class are taking the time to volunteer during the interviews to make the interviewees feel welcome and relaxed. I know enough people doing file reviews to say that the vast majority are professional with the timing.

I don't think you should extrapolate based on your 3 friends.

When will they send out the regrets?

Are there usually only one person scoring each application or are there more?

From what I understand, one reviewer has different fragments of different peoples application. No reviewer has a complete application. So this would mean that for any given section of your application, only one person will review it, but over your entire application as a whole, several people would have reviewed it. Does this make sense?

When will they send out the regrets?

No idea. In the past, the first batch of regrets went out with the first few invites but due to the changes this year, I'm not sure what they'll be doing.

So essentially we are saying the same thing... the reason for staggered invites is that applications just haven't been reviewed yet. This was more my point than solely due to laziness... I just used my colleagues as a concrete example.

As I re-read my OP I see that it assumes that everyone has received their applications to grade... so thank you for correcting that.. I didn't realize some hadn't even received applications yet.

Np! I didn't want anyone to get a misconception about the Admissions Process, hence why I clarified :)

Don't think this is accurate considering they have switched up their timing this year

If one were to assume that admissions is following a similar pattern to previous years (regardless of the exact timeline) in which the first round of rejections followed the first batch of interview invitations, and the final set of rejections were sent out following the last set of interview invitations, than it is likely that we will see a large set of rejections going out between now and the end of January, and a second set that corresponds to the last group invitations.

If we assume that we cannot assume a correlation, we must then assume that we will not be able to make any assumptions as to when they rejections may be sent out. Unless a current U of T med student is able to elaborate.

Archived