Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

If one were to assume that admissions is following a similar pattern to previous years (regardless of the exact timeline) in which the first round of rejections followed the first batch of interview invitations, and the final set of rejections were sent out following the last set of interview invitations, than it is likely that we will see a large set of rejections going out between now and the end of January, and a second set that corresponds to the last group invitations.

If we assume that we cannot assume a correlation, we must then assume that we will not be able to make any assumptions as to when they rejections may be sent out. Unless a current U of T med student is able to elaborate.

There's some wordy logic haha

The top half of your post is correct for last year, should we assume there will be a large batch of rejections between now and next week (second set of invites)? who knows. We truly have no idea. I'm personally just going to sit back and roll with it. (While internally stressing haha)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't mean it that way! UofT has a lot of grad applicants and I didn't mean to imply that grad files are mostly done. This is almost certainly not the case. I was just trying to say that little can be guessed based on one day of invites, lol.

Haha, I knew what you meant, I'm just stressing over the wait! :P I've applied to uoft once before and didn't get an invite, so I'm hoping this year is different :D

In terms of people worrying about the timing of the release of invites for some applicants vs. others, grads vs. UG etc. etc....

I personally know three people who are responsible for grading applications this year... all three of which haven't even started to review their applications yet. These applications are essentially a big pile on their desks. They have all admitted that they "need to get on it" beecause the U of T is bothering them to submit their evaluations, but herein lies the reasoning for why some people get their invites now, and others have to wait (in agony). Those that have thier invites (or rejections?) right now are simply those whose reviewers are on the ball and submitted their evaluations in a timely manner. Those who have yet to hear back, unfortunately, have reviewers like my three colleagues.

It's as simple as that.

Each reviewer has a strict deadline as to when they need to hand in their applications. Please understand that medical students are busy with other things in addition to the application review process, so you can't expect everyone to finish reviewing applications the very day they get them. The deadline is concrete and is there to ensure that everyone is told their status (invite/rejection) in a timely manner. And as mentioned previously, not all students have received their files to review just yet.

Originally Posted by flops

In terms of people worrying about the timing of the release of invites for some applicants vs. others, grads vs. UG etc. etc....

I personally know three people who are responsible for grading applications this year... all three of which haven't even started to review their applications yet. These applications are essentially a big pile on their desks. They have all admitted that they "need to get on it" beecause the U of T is bothering them to submit their evaluations, but herein lies the reasoning for why some people get their invites now, and others have to wait (in agony). Those that have thier invites (or rejections?) right now are simply those whose reviewers are on the ball and submitted their evaluations in a timely manner. Those who have yet to hear back, unfortunately, have reviewers like my three colleagues.

It's as simple as that.[/Quote]

How does that make any sense? How can they send out invites if not everyone has been looked at? what if all the better candidates haven't been reviewed yet and they send out 600 invites already?

How does that make any sense? How can they send out invites if not everyone has been looked at? what if all the better candidates haven't been reviewed yet and they send out 600 invites already?

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Traditionally, UofT has never had a "max number of interviewees" policy. ie. if competitive files continue to show up, they have expanded the number of interview spots to accommodate that.

That may not be the case this year since, for the MPI, you probably need a fixed number of interviewees on each day. Nevertheless, the school does review on a rolling basis and they've been doing this for long enough to have ballpark figures. It's not like the first 500 apps happen to the strong while the next 500 are weak. The distribution is probably even since the number of applications is literally in the thousands.

With a pool of candidates that large (3,000-3,500 people apply each year), the "good" candidates are probably more or less evenly distributed if they randomly distribute files to reviewers. So if they review batches of roughly 500 candidates at a time, they could pick the top 100 to interview from each batch.

Repeat this 5-6 times, and you've gone through all the candidates and interviewed 500-600 people.

U of T has a very large pool of candidates, and without arbitrary cutoffs, reviewing files individually is way more labor intensive than for other schools that screen out 60% of their candidates based on VR score, for example.

So going through all the apps on a quasi-rolling basis may be the only way to get all interviews done on time.

Yes, this is one of those verbal reasoning questions…

I know that those who have a MCAT score of less than 9 are NOT recommended to apply. However, I did anyways with a VR of 7. It might be a long shot for an interview and I already accepted that :P . But I am wondering if it is possible to get one with a wGPA of 3.95 (with tons of research, submitted first primary publication and abstract). I am not a graduate student but I have done a lot of research.

Thanks and best of luck to all! :P

DL

In the past, students have gotten in with a VR of 7. Don't lose hope! :)

As Deborah Coombs used to say: "No news is good news"

Will they organize the interviews every weekend from Jan.25 till March?

No, they are not every weekend- that would be far too many interview dates. I don't think the interview dates have been announced by the Office yet so I would wait for that.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Traditionally, UofT has never had a "max number of interviewees" policy. ie. if competitive files continue to show up, they have expanded the number of interview spots to accommodate that.

That may not be the case this year since, for the MPI, you probably need a fixed number of interviewees on each day. Nevertheless, the school does review on a rolling basis and they've been doing this for long enough to have ballpark figures. It's not like the first 500 apps happen to the strong while the next 500 are weak. The distribution is probably even since the number of applications is literally in the thousands.

Hmm, didn't know about the rolling basis thing. I know the states do that, but is that the same across all med schools in Canada? I submitted my application quite late (the morning of), but I still got an interview.

Hmm, didn't know about the rolling basis thing. I know the states do that, but is that the same across all med schools in Canada? I submitted my application quite late (the morning of), but I still got an interview.

To my knowledge only UofT does this in Canada.(due note that all acceptances are sent out on May 13th this year in Ontario regardless of your interview date)

Also it doesn't seem to coincide with when you submitted, last name,first name etc.

Looking at the posts, it seems that the interviews are sent out in order of GPA. What was the average GPA of applicants who received the interview in the past years?

UofT does not post the average GPA of applicants interviewed, but they do post the average GPA of applicants accepted.

In 2013, the average GPA of the applicant accepted is 3.92.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm

Can you post more details like ECs? I'm also a third year applicant and this got my hopes up.

Over the past year I have picked up a lot of volunteering... Specifically, with indigenous and vulnerable populations. Also, this past summer I had a research position that landed me a publication in a high impact journal. Others things include employment in first aid/lifeguarding.

GL.

Archived