Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was expecting a more explosive start. I would guess quite a few went out but not everyone posts or is even aware of pm101's existence.

clearly there's something wrong with them if they didn't google every single page related to medical admissions on the internet

Edit: just realized that might have sounded sarcastic - it wasn't haha

Random facts I remember from last year (to help ease anxiety)

1) The Office may close at 5pm or not. Last year the Office was a little understaffed and Leslie was known for working overtime to get the offers out.

2) Add the Admissions e-mail to your safe list and monitor your junk mail too - there have been cases of offers going to junk.

3) I received 3 weeks warning last year. That seems to be more or less consistent this year (2-3 weeks notice).

4) AFAIK there is little information available about the MPI interview format. If the offer e-mail states anything, I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it if someone could share that info (unless it says it's confidential, which it likely won't). ETA: Many thanks to futurefamilydoc for posting below!

5) Offer e-mails are random and how quickly you get an e-mail has no link to your file score.

6) It may be a long 2.5 months so get on with your life while you wait!

Anyone care to post up the info concerning the new interview format?

I can't be the only one who's curious

Here is what the email says in terms of format:

"Beginning with this year’s admissions interview process, we are implementing a new admissions interview format. As in past years, the new interview’s goals will continue to be getting to know applicants as individuals and assessing the competencies necessary for entry into the U of T medical school. In our new format - which we call the Modified Personal Interview (MPI) - you will have four successive but brief interviews, each with an individual interviewer. The total interview time with breaks inserted between each interview will be approximately one hour. Your interview day will be over by 1:30 pm.

In addition to getting to know you, our new format of four brief interviews enhances your ability to get to know the U of T medical school – which is also very important - as your interviewers will include current U of T medical faculty, postgraduate resident trainees, 4th year medical students and other members of the health professions. You can learn about the total U of T medical education experience through the eyes of your interviewers. In addition, all interviews will be conducted at one location: the Michener Institute for Applied Sciences. The Michener Institute is close to the U of T St. George campus and the Medical Sciences Building (affectionately known as MSB), as well as many of the medical school’s academic teaching hospitals including the Hospital for Sick Children, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute."

Here is what the email says in terms of format:

"Beginning with this year’s admissions interview process, we are implementing a new admissions interview format. As in past years, the new interview’s goals will continue to be getting to know applicants as individuals and assessing the competencies necessary for entry into the U of T medical school. In our new format - which we call the Modified Personal Interview (MPI) - you will have four successive but brief interviews, each with an individual interviewer. The total interview time with breaks inserted between each interview will be approximately one hour. Your interview day will be over by 1:30 pm.

In addition to getting to know you, our new format of four brief interviews enhances your ability to get to know the U of T medical school – which is also very important - as your interviewers will include current U of T medical faculty, postgraduate resident trainees, 4th year medical students and other members of the health professions. You can learn about the total U of T medical education experience through the eyes of your interviewers. In addition, all interviews will be conducted at one location: the Michener Institute for Applied Sciences. The Michener Institute is close to the U of T St. George campus and the Medical Sciences Building (affectionately known as MSB), as well as many of the medical school’s academic teaching hospitals including the Hospital for Sick Children, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute."

Thank you,

I personally prefer the PM101 Multiple Panel interview name better but I guess trojan has that trademarked haha

To those who have been invited for an interview thus far, were all of your LORs marked as received by OMSAS by the application deadline (as opposed to the extended Nov 1 deadline)?

I don't think that this would matter as OMSAS didn't send out apps to schools until mid November (after they checked your grades).

Just curious what date those who have heard back already submitted their finalized paid OMSAS application. Any chance we could add that to the list of fields on the statistics thread?

every year people have asked that - prior looking into didn't show a pattern. You can go nuts looking for logic here - the schools itself has advised there isn't one :)

every year people have asked that - prior looking into didn't show a pattern. You can go nuts looking for logic here - the schools itself has advised there isn't one :)

True, but I don't think it's too far of a reach to look at the people who have posted invites and see that the majority (by far) are grad students.

Edit: And, with the two more people who posted, this theory has been debunked, haha!

Archived