Premed 101 Forums

Mature medical student and CaRMS

Hello everyone,

I am a 2nd year Canadian medical student and I would like to seek advice on something that has been bothering me for days.

To give you guys some background about myself, I am a 29 years old mature student (vs. typical age of 24 at this stage of the game) who, after many observerships with multiple specialties, have come to the conclusion that plastic & reconstructive surgery is my passion and it is something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I have been working on PRS clinical research projects since September and have received numerous awards based on my academic performance in 1st year. In addition, I have started to bond with many of the plastics residents and faculties, and I hope to keep this going.

I am starting to feel that I am headed in the right direction in terms of competing in CaRMS but one thing that has been haunting me for days is my non-traditional age. I will be 31 by the time CaRMS rolls around and I just can't seem to get my head around how big of a disadvantageous role my "late" age will play in the match. Do you guys think my late age can be made up for with a strong application or is my plastics pursuit an uphill battle with a likely failure in the end? Is it possible for non-trads to match into competitive specialties like ophthal, plastics, derm, rads etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I am a 2nd year Canadian medical student and I would like to seek advice on something that has been bothering me for days.

To give you guys some background about myself, I am a 29 years old mature student (vs. typical age of 24 at this stage of the game) who, after many observerships with multiple specialties, have come to the conclusion that plastic & reconstructive surgery is my passion and it is something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I have been working on PRS clinical research projects since September and have received numerous awards based on my academic performance in 1st year. In addition, I have started to bond with many of the plastics residents and faculties, and I hope to keep this going.

I am starting to feel that I am headed in the right direction in terms of competing in CaRMS but one thing that has been haunting me for days is my non-traditional age. I will be 31 by the time CaRMS rolls around and I just can't seem to get my head around how big of a disadvantageous role my "late" age will play in the match. Do you guys think my late age can be made up for with a strong application or is my plastics pursuit an uphill battle with a likely failure in the end? Is it possible for non-trads to match into competitive specialties like ophthal, plastics, derm, rads etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

some of the fields you mention have non traditional students going into them all the time. I worked for a number of years prior to returning to school and ultimately matching to radiology. I certainly don't fit the usual student bill.

Age in many fields is simply not a disadvantage.

I will be 31 by the time CaRMS rolls around and I just can't seem to get my head around how big of a disadvantageous role my "late" age will play in the match..

I was older than that when I started *med school* and I seem to have done reasonably well the times I've been through CaRMS. You'll be fine. Don't undermine your own confidence - there are enough other people around to do that for you...

guess I would add one more question to the mix to clarify - why exactly do you think you would be at a disadvantage?

Given the competitive nature of the aforementioned specialties, it just seemed like program directors and resident selection committees would find ways to discriminate applicants, non-traditional age being one of them. I think I am just overthinking this too much.

If there is a disadvantage, it's the mindset that you have internalized, which might express itself as insecurity to others.

Someone else in the exact same situation could look at their nontraditional age as an advantage in terms of life experience and maturity, and ask whether the other applicants will be at a disadvantage compared to them!

Given the competitive nature of the aforementioned specialties, it just seemed like program directors and resident selection committees would find ways to discriminate applicants, non-traditional age being one of them. I think I am just overthinking this too much.

you still haven't said why you think they would find age to be something to discriminate with :) They would have to believe age had some inherit disadvantage - what would that be? Particularly in a a field that values experience?

As Lactic Folly is saying you are possibly thinking about this backwards - I always thought as being a bit older as a powerful advantage (ha, maybe I am simply creating additional ego shielding for the blows that come in any competitive process). Still I have found my experience to be quite useful and I know it lead me to be more successful in medical school and in CARMS.

You're definitely overthinking it. IMO, I'd think that programs care most about getting quality residents, rather than long-term implications of someone practicing ~5 fewer years because of their age. Take that for what you will, but ultimately once you graduate the program, it doesn't really matter to them how long you work.

I'm assuming you're in an Ontario/BC/Alberta medical school. Out here, you wouldn't be considered 'old' - not everyone has the straight forward 4 year undergrad path, and don't worry, it won't be held against you.

You're definitely overthinking it. IMO, I'd think that programs care most about getting quality residents, rather than long-term implications of someone practicing ~5 fewer years because of their age. Take that for what you will, but ultimately once you graduate the program, it doesn't really matter to them how long you work.

I'm assuming you're in an Ontario/BC/Alberta medical school. Out here, you wouldn't be considered 'old' - not everyone has the straight forward 4 year undergrad path, and don't worry, it won't be held against you.

Yeah this is what I was mostly worried about. Programs thinking that I won't be worth the training since I will be practicing at least 5 years less than the others.

Yeah this is what I was mostly worried about. Programs thinking that I won't be worth the training since I will be practicing at least 5 years less than the others.

ha programs don't really think that way - I believe it is more will this guy be good for us over the next FIVE years (ie the residency).

They aren't looking at a 30 year picture here :) That doesn't really affect them after all.

some of the fields you mention have non traditional students going into them all the time. I worked for a number of years prior to returning to school and ultimately matching to radiology. I certainly don't fit the usual student bill.

Age in many fields is simply not a disadvantage.

I think it's often a huge advantage.

Archived