Premed 101 Forums

Competitiveness this Cycle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on the interviews you received so far, and talking to others... Which specialties were more/less competitive this year than expected?

Internal medicine has been competitive through out the country. Most people has received limited number of interview offers.

Rads - Less competitive than last year (which was not competitive).

Apparently applicants are down approx. 20%, and Toronto got much fewer applicants than years past (the rejection email mentioned low 70s, according to another applicant).

Family & IM - More competitive. Whether this is because of the quality of applicants or people applying to more programs on average remains to be seen.

Rads - Less competitive than last year (which was not competitive).

Apparently applicants are down approx. 20%, and Toronto got much fewer applicants than years past (the rejection email mentioned low 70s, according to another applicant).

Really? Haha, WHY would they say that? "Sorry, we can't interview you - even though we didn't really receive that many applications this year. It's not us. It's you." :rolleyes:

Really? Haha, WHY would they say that? "Sorry, we can't interview you - even though we didn't really receive that many applications this year. It's not us. It's you." :rolleyes:

does seem oddly specific - usually rejection emails are more in the line of "unfortunately due to the highly competitive nature of the program we are unable...." blah, blah :)

The numbers are down though. Not a bad year if you want rads apparently

• 2 weeks later...
I think about 140 Emerg applications or so. some of the emails I've seen indicate this.

Hmm.. isn't this year supposed to be crazy-ultra-super competitive for emerg? According to this CaRMS report, there were 172 emerg applicants last year (granted, this is across the board, not necessarily at any one school).

I expected a bigger jump, the way folks are talking.

Hmm.. isn't this year supposed to be crazy-ultra-super competitive for emerg? According to this CaRMS report, there were 172 emerg applicants last year (granted, this is across the board, not necessarily at any one school).

I expected a bigger jump, the way folks are talking.

can't really say. maybe I applied to less appealing schools. I don't think the competitiveness has materially changed much from last year. And I'm pretty sure every year's applicant pool talks up how competitive their year is. Pretty much a meaningless thread as it won't matter now. Just do what you can and see what happens on match day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived