Premed 101 Forums

Countdown To Interview :)

Hey everyone,

So officially 16 days left till we hear from UOttawa. I

PRAY TO GOD THAT THE CUTOFF IS 3.85!!!!!!!! PLEASE PRAY WITH ME LOL

But in all seriousness, I am kind of excited. I put all my eggs in one basket this year though so I told myself not to expect anything... I am just going to have faith that whats meant to be will happen when it is supposed to happen...

How are you all doing?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply put, if your GPA is around 3.9, you've likely made the academic cut off... Unless they receives a ton of 4.0s this year (even more than they normally get) Last year about 1500/3800 applicants met the academic requirements of that cycle. Of these, about 500 got interviews.

Admissions committees, in general, are very tight lipped for very good reasons.

I would have to agree with hockeynut. If you are an Ottawa applicant even with a 3.8 (over the cutoff) your chances are slim to none. However, I do know some French applicants who received interviews with a 3.6 and 3.7.

Is this stat not deceiving?(If they truly do favor higher GPA's) The from Ottawa cut-off is 3.7, this in of itself would account for quite a few of those 1500 people who made the cut-off. Same goes for the French stream (3.6 cut-off if I'm not mistaken).

Simply put, if your GPA is around 3.9, you've likely made the academic cut off... Unless they receives a ton of 4.0s this year (even more than they normally get) Last year about 1500/3800 applicants met the academic requirements of that cycle. Of these, about 500 got interviews.

Admissions committees, in general, are very tight lipped for very good reasons.

What do you mean by the 3.9 comment? Is it not 3.85 for Ip?

But if the cut-off is 3.85 and your EC's (especially research) are SOLID/AWESOME lol will you at least get an interview? Also, if you rock the interview then do they again factor in GPA for an acceptance?

You are right, however, uottawa tends (almost always) accepts students with GPAs closer to 3.9.

But if the cut-off is 3.85 and your EC's (especially research) are SOLID/AWESOME lol will you at least get an interview? Also, if you rock the interview then do they again factor in GPA for an acceptance?

In theory, yes.

As for the second one, GPA is still considered post-interview, but the actual interview itself is weighed more highly. If you have an amazing interview, you will get an acceptance. If you have a bad interview, a perfect GPA still won't save you.

I would say with a 3.85 if you are not from Ottawa and not applying to french stream but you are from Ontario...you would need exceedingly good ECs to get an interview, not just "solid". Generally in my personal opinion I would say if you have a wGPA>3.95 and you're EC's are at least average you have a good shot at an interview for Ottawa.

I agree in general with what has been said.

I am OOP and was wGPA of 3.96

I still stand by the 3.9+ gives you a advantage insofar as ECs are concerned.

Basically there are exceptions, there are streams where lower GPAs will get interviews and acceptances, but strictly speaking to the classic English stream, you're going to want to have a 3.85 + and more realistically a 3.9+ (to give a buffer) (P.s. the majority of people who got in, for any stream, had 3.9+)

Also can somebody give me their opinion on my top 3's for Ottawa (my wGPA is 3.97 and I am currently doing my Masters at UofT)

Research: 2 research assistant positions (no pubs, 3 months each, 1 clinical, 1 lab)

Work: camp counselor for 4 summers (1000s of hours); camp director for 1 summer (100s of hours); teaching assistant for a year

EC activities: 3 different intramural sports throughout university

Volunteer: nursing home volunteer 1 year (~50 hrs); volunteer TA in third year (1 term); volunteer whitewater canoe training assistant for a weekend

Awards: OGS scholarship, undergrad internal scholarship for high GPA, grad internal scholarship for high GPA

Also can somebody give me their opinion on my top 3's for Ottawa (my wGPA is 3.97 and I am currently doing my Masters at UofT)

Research: 2 research assistant positions (no pubs, 3 months each, 1 clinical, 1 lab)

Work: camp counselor for 4 summers (1000s of hours); camp director for 1 summer (100s of hours); teaching assistant for a year

EC activities: 3 different intramural sports throughout university

Volunteer: nursing home volunteer 1 year (~50 hrs); volunteer TA in third year (1 term); volunteer whitewater canoe training assistant for a weekend

Awards: OGS scholarship, undergrad internal scholarship for high GPA, grad internal scholarship for high GPA

Just a note here I thought the top 3 were ONLY for things during your UG. This may eliminate some of your items

I might look into this, but I think there is some wiggle room there. What I mean by this is: if you've done something your entire life, add it in there. It's not like someone picked up trumpet when they were 18 and started playing in an orchestra within a couple weeks (or at least not to my knowledge)

TL;DR - continued it into UG, then it's good to go.

No worries...I am honestly most hopeful for an interview to Ottawa thats why I wanted an opinion on my top 3's...in my opinion they are decent...hoping the fact I'm in grad school coupled with my high wGPA gets me that interview!

with a 3.97 I'd be floored if you didn't get an interview

If Ottawa only looks at years that you had a full course load (5 courses per semester) and I had 10 1st, 10, 2nd, 9 3rd and 6 4th year; would they only look at my first two years of my undergrad? Any ideas?

Too late to change anything anyhow, just curious.

I would give them a call and ask. 613-562-5409

I got in with 10, 10, 14, 6

(14 was: 10 in regular semesters, 2 in 'intersession', two study abroad transfers)

So it's not the 6 that gets me, but rather the 9.

Like I said, give them a call.

GP

At McGill in first year, you HAVE to take 4 courses in second semester (since they are all 4 credits and the credit limit per semester is 17). So...am I ineligible then?

edit: this is for science freshman courses.

no your ok, I cleared this up with them over the summer. (also from McGill)

Archived