Premed 101 Forums

Unless things changed we got our results in early June I think.

I can't help but to rant, these tests are a pet peeve of mine.

Firstly, don't worry about this exam. The test makes most people feel crummy because it is written so badly. Unless you attended some sketchy backwater medical school, can't read or write simple English or French or happened to be acutely intoxicated while writing the exam you will pass.

However, in reality and with not an ounce of exaggeration, this test is a shameless money grab from the MCC. Just consider it an unofficial medical school exit "tax". I'm convinced that the MCC is a bureaucratic black hole. One giant money pit which seemingly produces basically nothing going by their own twitter page. Sadly, you will make another deposit into the "black hole" when you do part two. Fun fact: Part II is even more poorly run and useless and also costs a couple grand and several days of your life. When you are all done you will look back and it will become clear what a joke this whole process is. That's also about when you feel somewhat taken advantage of (x2) by the system and want your $3000 returned.

The system should be simple: If you are a CMG and pass your med school exams and convocate and then pass your royal college/CCFM exam at the end of residency you're done and can practice independently.

Never mind... That is way too logical and straight forward. Plus who would fund the MCC? Surely, it would be the end of medical education as we know it.

Rant over.

+1 x infinity

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Must echo the above about how this test is an exit tax. It is a kick in the guts to do good on your preclerkship and clerkship exams, to do well on the wards and match into the specialty you want only to have to donate 1000$ to some vague group for this "test." The LMCCE only examines your ability to guess at what the question is really asking. It was hands down the most poorly designed test I have ever written. The CRE is a complete gong show of madness.

For people who still have to take the test:

I spent about 7 days studying poorly; it was nice outside. I only really studied TN obs/gyn with anything approaching diligence. I looked over TN for PHELO and abit of psych. I tried to read the peds stuff but it was too boring. I didn't touch a thing for IM or surg. I did read the sections on peds ortho and of all the sections, this was actually the highest yield for pages of TN:test questions.

After I finished the test I swore I had failed. This was a sentiment shared by a large chunk of the class. I ended up scoring in the highest quintile for IM (my specialty), surg and family. 4th for PHELO, CRE and psych. I am apparently brain damaged but acceptable for obs/gyn and peds. This is hilarious cause I studied for obs/gyn.

TL : DR I passed comfortably.

However, I can easily see how some people, especially those in specialties with a narrow scope like ophth, could fail. There is a lot of vague stuff on the exam.

Ignore the scaling BS that everyone will get scared about: I thought I had done well in peds cause the questions were ramping up, at least to my deluded mind. I thought I had failed PHELO cause the ethics questions were something a chimp could get and that I failed surg for sure. The test is so vague you can't really say how you are doing.

I wish I had that 1000$. I would use it for paper airplanes or to start a fire in the rain cause that would be more useful than this test.

Must echo the above about how this test is an exit tax. It is a kick in the guts to do good on your preclerkship and clerkship exams, to do well on the wards and match into the specialty you want only to have to donate 1000$ to some vague group for this "test." The LMCCE only examines your ability to guess at what the question is really asking. It was hands down the most poorly designed test I have ever written. The CRE is a complete gong show of madness.

For people who still have to take the test:

I spent about 7 days studying poorly; it was nice outside. I only really studied TN obs/gyn with anything approaching diligence. I looked over TN for PHELO and abit of psych. I tried to read the peds stuff but it was too boring. I didn't touch a thing for IM or surg. I did read the sections on peds ortho and of all the sections, this was actually the highest yield for pages of TN:test questions.

After I finished the test I swore I had failed. This was a sentiment shared by a large chunk of the class. I ended up scoring in the highest quintile for IM (my specialty), surg and family. 4th for PHELO, CRE and psych. I am apparently brain damaged but acceptable for obs/gyn and peds. This is hilarious cause I studied for obs/gyn.

TL : DR I passed comfortably.

However, I can easily see how some people, especially those in specialties with a narrow scope like ophth, could fail. There is a lot of vague stuff on the exam.

Ignore the scaling BS that everyone will get scared about: I thought I had done well in peds cause the questions were ramping up, at least to my deluded mind. I thought I had failed PHELO cause the ethics questions were something a chimp could get and that I failed surg for sure. The test is so vague you can't really say how you are doing.

I wish I had that 1000$. I would use it for paper airplanes or to start a fire in the rain cause that would be more useful than this test.

as you probably know the 2nd one isn't any better, except the price is over twice the first one.

I honestly think most people would have passed the test quite well just have preclerkship even.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread

US med student here. Going to write Q1 in may. Wrote step 2 already, passed comfortably (~40 percentile). Would I have a problem with this exam? What study sources do people generally use?

Thanks!

Toronto Notes is probably the main resource because it centralizes things. Make sure you study the very high yield topics of Canadian medical law and ethics etc as they may be somewhat different that the rules you were trained under. Also REALLY learn how it is graded because some fields (like all of internal medicine) are worth the same as much simpler sections (like psych).  It is not at all a hard test really

Thanks!

Any qbanks that is recommended? I heard about Canada Qbank or something but I heard the reviews arent great for QE (its more for EE). I learn better with question banks but am currently reading Toronto notes to reinforce.

I did better on Part 1 than the CK (I am a Cdn grad). My method of studying was focused towards the CK (I used Uworld). You should be fine. The questions for Part 1 are terrible and vague compared to CK. Big difference is the balance where for Part 1 there are as many Int Med q's as Psych, OB, etc, whereas CK was IM heavy. Focus on the smaller content sections and you should score decent.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I got this POS in 5 days.

All I've basically done is the same stuff I did for Step 2 CK, which was the same prep I did for the EE. I did well in both of those exams, and this being the 4 or 5th exam I've taken I could not be arsed at this point to open that TN book for anything other than PHELO. I figure if I've done well in every exam with my resources and I'm doing great in my clerkships here, then I should be fine.

My experience in the EE mirrors what you guys are saying about QE1. I remember studying for EE using the self administered tests. I started off with one, spent a month studying my ass off, took another, and found that my mark didn't budge. Then I took the exam itself and realized it really doesn't matter what you study. It's essentially a mix of easy questions, minutiae from complete left field and a lot of "hey here are two ambiguous symptoms, figure this shit out". Basically giving a damn is a waste of time. I imagine qe1 will be the same deal.

So I'm not giving a damn. About to chill, read my conrad fischer books, remember my epidemiology formulae, and think about getting my NRMP stuff in before September. I'm not afraid of this test. I'm just annoyed I have to sit there for 8 hours and put up with their nonsense. I can't wait to be done. I'm going to bang my girl till she dislocates both hips and both her retinas detach.

Good luck to everyone who takes this embarrassment to education this year.

I am trying to decide if it is safe to just stick with canadaqbank (for the EE which is supposed to be better for the MCCQE1) - TN is alright but I like the question format better

Anyone who used that and found the questions to be a similar type/difficulty? 

• 1 month later...

So the scores are out...and I almost fell to the ground...my knees buckled and I coudn't believe what I was seeing: I failed :(

The passing score was 427 and I got 419. I submitted a request to rescore my exam, but based on the MCC's website, that usually doesn't work as borderline scores undergo more scrutiny when being scored.

What does this mean for me? I have never failed any exam...(except a math exam in gr.3). Bad time to start now... 

I'm so humiliated :(

So the scores are out...and I almost fell to the ground...my knees buckled and I coudn't believe what I was seeing: I failed :(

The passing score was 427 and I got 419. I submitted a request to rescore my exam, but based on the MCC's website, that usually doesn't work as borderline scores undergo more scrutiny when being scored.

What does this mean for me? I have never failed any exam...(except a math exam in gr.3). Bad time to start now... 

I'm so humiliated :(

Sorry to hear that the exam did not go well! Don't worry, it is not the end of the world.

I *think* that these are the consequences of failing:

1) You are not able to practice outside of your residency (i.e. if you are in a province that allows Moonlighting, you will not be able to do so). 

2) You must pass the MCCQE Parts 1 and 2 before finishing residency

As far as I know, the whole not being able to write your own scripts without a co-sign is a myth.

The downside of all of this is that you will need to pay for another sitting (~$1000), not to mention the time commitment of re-studying and then taking time off residency to rewrite.

Don't worry, everybody gets tripped up once and a while.

Best of luck on the rewrite.

Just a note for future MCCQE1 test-takers:

Contrary to the comments above, my compadres and I did not feel that this year's exam was a "POS" or a "money grab". I felt the questions were more relevant to practice and better formatted than my four years of medical school tests. Perhaps the exam was revamped since last year. To be sure, the exam was HARD but fair.

My mental response to most questions was "huh, this is a good question...but I don't know the answer".

Archived