Premed 101 Forums

Geriatric Medicine

jmira

Not for me - but I can understand why people like it. It is multidisciplinary, you have the opportunity to get to know your patients really well, you can make a huge difference in their lives, it can be quite complex, you will never be out of a job...

It is looked down upon from the rest of medicine for some reason... and in my opinion, unnecessarily. I have far more respect for a geriatricians than I do for other clinicians who solely focus on the one body part they have specialized in and refer everything else back to their GP/other docs.

It was one of the subspecialties of internal medicine that I enjoyed most, having an affinity for elderly patients and appreciating the opportunity to improve the well-being of a segment of the population that sometimes does not receive the same attention as say, younger patients perhaps. However, while rewarding, the work was emotionally draining and, I felt, more difficult to sustain compared to what I do now.

Not for me - but I can understand why people like it. It is multidisciplinary, you have the opportunity to get to know your patients really well, you can make a huge difference in their lives, it can be quite complex, you will never be out of a job...

It is looked down upon from the rest of medicine for some reason... and in my opinion, unnecessarily. I have far more respect for a geriatricians than I do for other clinicians who solely focus on the one body part they have specialized in and refer everything else back to their GP/other docs.

It is completely illogical but the further you are from personally fixing a particularly problem permanently the more "respect" often is given.

A bit of hero worship I think on some level- saving lives and all that. It is silly of course as medicine is a huge system and a big team effort.

I like geriatrics, very much in fact. Those in that field do a lot of good.

I don't think many physicians people look down on geriatrics, though many of us do prefer a faster pace. It's certainly not the place for any procedurally-oriented. Yet it's immensely valuable for a lot of acute care (atypical presentations, delineating delirium vs dementia vs both) and relevant to almost every adult specialty. There are some who consider it "depressing" due to the focus on dementia and frailty - we don't always like to consider either as part of our possible future - but those aren't exactly something you're likely not to see in medicine.

(Well, except for peds)

The geriatricians here are very well respected, all-round, including at the medical school, among the residents and by the staff physicians. As someone in family, it is nice to have another resource to consult for the overly complicated complex older patients who don't fall into the realm of just one specialty.

I wouldn't have chosen geriatrics, as I like all age groups in medicine. I don't want to have to give up delivering babies in order, providing preventative health for people through their lifetime, dealing with both acute and chronic illness and doing palliative care, just to focus on one time in a person's life. However, I do enjoy dealing with the geriatric population. It can be quite rewarding.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I couldn't do this speciality. I would rather quit medicine. Back in the day I did some geriatrics electives. UofT has a group of academic MDs in geriatrics which are pretty active. Probably why you noticed what you noticed.

This said, I can appreciate those that do it. Also the cognitively intact über geriatrics have the best stories and can be some of the most interesting people you will run into.

Archived