Premed 101 Forums

Is It Necessary To Know French For Mcgill

I want to ask a question for McGill students in Med 3:

I am thinking about applying for the MD.CM program for IMG's at Mcgill. My english is excellent but I don't know any french at all. I am aware that knowing french isn't a requirement to apply but I need to ask: do I need to start learning french in case I meet a patient who doesn't speak english while I am on the wards ? Maybe a basic level at least ? 

Also do you know if the admissions committee secretly favor applicants who are fluent in both english and french ? I have heard some people say that this is the case and that is why McGill decided to cancel the MCAT requirement in order to attract more french applicants ?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I want to ask a question for McGill students in Med 3:

I am thinking about applying for the MD.CM program for IMG's at Mcgill. My english is excellent but I don't know any french at all. I am aware that knowing french isn't a requirement to apply but I need to ask: do I need to start learning french in case I meet a patient who doesn't speak english while I am on the wards ? Maybe a basic level at least ? 

Also do you know if the admissions committee secretly favor applicants who are fluent in both english and french ? I have heard some people say that this is the case and that is why McGill decided to cancel the MCAT requirement in order to attract more french applicants ?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

It's no secret, it's pretty well known that applicants that know French are favored over the ones that don't. 

I will ask for my interview to be in english. That doesn't mean I don't know french. I mean I don't want to lie but they are the ones who are saying that it doesn't matter whether you speak french or not while it actually does matter. Why can't THEY be honest about it ?

I will ask for my interview to be in english. That doesn't mean I don't know french. I mean I don't want to lie but they are the ones who are saying that it doesn't matter whether you speak french or not while it actually does matter. Why can't THEY be honest about it ?

They're not saying it doesn't matter. They're pretty open about it. Additionally, there would be evidence somewhere on your application about your ability to speak french: transcripts (extensive french courses in undergrad), high school in quebec, lived in France, went through extensive french programs, etc. 95% of the spots are also for province students, most of whom will be fluent in French. 

This is from the website and I quote:

''In the regular contingent of positions, we have no quotas based upon any social designation such as language, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status''.

Also : 

''Our application process is fully bilingual and students may interact with us from first phone call or email to multiple mini-interviews in either English or French.  We believe strongly in allowing applicants to put their best foot forward during the process.  Our selection process aims at identifying the characteristics of an excellent future physician, and does not aim to be a language test.''

This is from the website and I quote:

''In the regular contingent of positions, we have no quotas based upon any social designation such as language, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status''.

Also : 

''Our application process is fully bilingual and students may interact with us from first phone call or email to multiple mini-interviews in either English or French.  We believe strongly in allowing applicants to put their best foot forward during the process.  Our selection process aims at identifying the characteristics of an excellent future physician, and does not aim to be a language test.''

Translation: they want people who apply to have even odds regardless if their main language is French or English. It means that if you are more comfortable in French, you should be able to go through the selection process in French. It means that if you are more comfortable in English, you should be able to go through the selection process in English. And it's said that there is no quotas based on any social designation such as languages as you quoted yourself. I don't see any French requirement anywhere.

They cancelled the MCAT requirement, because imagine yourself as an English speaking person. Then you have to write the MCAT in French, including the verbal section in French. That would be hard eh? They just took that out to make it fair for everyone.

Let me use an example: less than 100 years ago, women started to have the right to vote in Canada. Does that mean society is favouring women over men? No, because it is meant to make societies more equal where men = women in terms of opportunities.

Now, it means that by removing the MCAT, Frenchies = Anglos in terms of odds. It is meant to be more fair.

@theSc, nope. French speaking applicants are not favoured. Don't spread false rumours.

McGill will never write that basic French knowledge is a requirement, I don't think it should be during the interview process. Students do have time to learn French in the first 2 years and with practice, dedication and French immersion, it is very possible to become fluent and know the basics.

Yet, if one thinks one might avoid francophone patients while doing clerkship, well one is completely wrong. Francos account for about 30-50% of patients in the McGill's hospitals. (more a certain sites)

As someone who has completed medical school and am completing my residency at McGill, to fully gain from the education provided you should be able to speak basic french. You will have patients in clerkship that speak only french, and rural medicine rotations are sometimes in French (there are a few english ones.... Most people want them). I wouldn't lie, why not just say you are taking French courses to improve and actually take the courses.

I'm attempting to relearn French- starting with the duolingo website to get the basics back. If you're someone who is motivated by Xp and gold stars and stuff you might find it kind of fun. I am. :)

https://www.duolingo.com/

Thanks for this!! I don't mean to go off topic, since I know this should be about French at McGill, but I really like this site. 

I just did a few lessons, but need to stop procrastinating and get back to studying.  :)

• 3 months later...

If you say that you are bilingual, you are often asked a question in french during the interview. If you don't say that you are bilingual and just say that you would be willing to learn french then you would have a better chance of getting in. Several friends who said they were bilingual were asked to answer 1-2 questions in french to prove it, and you probably won't get in if you get caught lying about this. I just said I was interested in learning french and they gave me and interview and didn't ask me any questions in french

Archived