Premed 101 Forums

***** Carms 2015 Interview Discussion Thread *****

mmel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some invites are already out? But the recommendation letters aren't unmasked yet!!!

I have a question - do some schools send out invites to their own students first before expanding it to all applicants? Or do they all generally send them out at the same time?

I have not been aware of such practice last year.

Yeah I was definitely surprised too, didn't expect any invites until December. Thanks for the response about the home school invites, I know schools may interview home candidates outside of the traditional period so wasn't sure about inviting earlier as well.

Some invites are already out? But the recommendation letters aren't unmasked yet!!!

I have not been aware of such practice last year.

I talked to my aunt who is a fellow who is part of an admissions team....she told me the reference letters help you if you have a well-known referee and/or they wrote amazing comments but  for the most part she said most reference letters she has read over the years are pretty generic and obviously no one asks someone to write them a negative letter.....so basically letters are not the most important part .....your Dean's letter comments, red flags (failures, profesionalism question marks, etc.), and overall impression is by far the most important

Some do, some don't. It is usually written on their program description on the carms website.

yeah, it is strange that they don't all send it out but there you go. I mean if you apply to program X even if rejected that still most likely mean that the applicant will get in some where into the same specialty (I mean most people do get what the specialty they want). That means you just kind of disrespected in my mind essentially a colleague in your specialty. That seems just impolite to me - it isn't like medical school where there are 4000 applicants. This is more personal.

Perhaps they feel it's enough if they state an invite-only communication policy on the CaRMS website. Sending a regrets email does open the door to people trying to negotiate an interview after being rejected :)

perhaps but since they don't actually formally state anywhere that the invites are all sent out there is still this period of limbo.

Plus it also means that if for some reason you don't get the invite email (tech glitches happen) you may incorrectly assume you are rejected. That has happened a few times.

So would you guys recommend sending some kind of follow-up email (like they do with US med school applications) to the program if let's say we don't hear from them by mid Decemer?

No, I wouldn't recommend this. At least not mid december. A surprising number of invites will come out through the christmas break and even early january.

If you have a specific reason to think something went wrong, then maybe address it or contact carms.

Hey guys, we in Francophone medschool aren't part of CFMS and therefore don't have access to the famous CFMS documents containing previous years' interview questions/topics discussed.

Was wondering if someone was kind enough to post it on the forum ? :-)

Merci !

You actually do have access follow these steps for the Quebec medical schools : http://www.cfms.org/reg-3.html

They are not documents it's a like a forum like this one....I doubt anyone will take the time to copy/paste the forum posts...or better yet just ask a fellow medical stduent

Archived