Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Discussion 2015

Does anyone know how many people are invited for interview and how many people get accepted from that number? 

I can't remember if this was in the stats on the website, or in the blog posts, or a combination thereof.. but for some reason I have something in my head like ~ 200 acceptances / ~450 in province interviews? 

biggest concern is what if we're on the lower end of the pre-interview scores? i dont want to come off as an ass but there were much better ECs outlined in rejected applicants than my own...so it's (1) shocking to see how unpredictable they are and (2) makes you feel super grateful

SO true... this is my second time applying and second interview (After a 1 year hiatus)... I feel like I don't have the greatest ECs or stats for that matter.. and I'm really happy to have a second try.. I totally bombed the interview last time around... <  20th percentile.. not sure what I had done wrong but clearly need to do better this time.

SO true... this is my second time applying and second interview (After a 1 year hiatus)... I feel like I don't have the greatest ECs or stats for that matter.. and I'm really happy to have a second try.. I totally bombed the interview last time around... <  20th percentile.. not sure what I had done wrong but clearly need to do better this time.

You call 20th percentile bombing? I could teach you a thing or two about bombing ^_^

Here is Dr. Walker's post on the blog:

A few comments that might be helpful for people.

2. For those of you who were not successful, know that in the VAST majority of cases, it is not because there was anything wrong with you as an applicant. I have no doubt that most of the our applicants would make great additions to our program. There simply are not enough positions for the large and growing pool of aspiring physicians. I would encourage you to think of getting into medical school as a 3-5 year commitment. If you have not tried at least 3 times, I would not even consider giving up.

3. We offered 537 interview positions. Of those 101 went to non- Albertans. The cut off for getting an offer as a non-Albertan was higher, but as a max of 15% of the class can come from this pool, we have to limit the number of interview spots taken up by OOP applicants. The rest (436) went to Albertans.

4. When I started this job, we interviewed roughly half the applicants. This year, it is closer to a third. For Albertans, it was slightly less than that (436 out of 1324). It is a problem, and clearly results in lots of good people getting the door shut on them.

Can I just say how much I appreciate when admissions has a dialogue with applicants? He's just so amazing!

Time of day or day doesn't affect if you get in. I have friends who are med students at UofC who have interviewed the first day and last day, and either the morning or afternoons. Trust me, I had the same questions running in my mind about dates and times. So don't worry too much about if an interviewer has eaten or not lol. Each day has a different set of interviewers. Pick a date that works for you and your schedule. :)

Id rather get it done first thing, first day.  Everybody is fresh and excited and you can dazzle them with insightful responses nobody has heard yet.

Plus - No need to hear all the horror stories from previous groups and psyc myself out lol

They have different assessors each day. I got my day and time... hopefully, I wasn't bunched with amazing interviewees. :P

To echo another posters request, is there anyone who is signed up for the 28th that would be willing to swap? I will be in the Phillippines until the 24th, and it is the only day I can make it. I signed on at like 12:00 and 30 seconds and there were no times left for that day - it broke my heart!!

I'm open to negotiating the terms for the date swap. :)