Premed 101 Forums

Osap No Longer Counts Cars As Assets...

Wow what a massive change. Though I'm more impressed by summer income no longer counting against your eligible assistance.

really?? when did this happen?

I was contemplating about not taking this job because I would make too much and OSAP would give me less

unless these changes only apply to medical students

really?? when did this happen?

I was contemplating about not taking this job because I would make too much and OSAP would give me less

unless these changes only apply to medical students

thought it was part time income - what ever that means.

Finally the car thing was added - the idea that a car that you LEASE and have to pay for each month somehow could be counted as an asset was incredibly stupid. Less so the actual car you own.

So if you're working full-time in the summer to save money for school, it's still counted? Or is it only if your employer counts you as full-time? Because usually they hire you as a temp worker if you're just there for the summer...

thought it was part time income - what ever that means.

Finally the car thing was added - the idea that a car that you LEASE and have to pay for each month somehow could be counted as an asset was incredibly stupid. Less so the actual car you own.

So if you're working full-time in the summer to save money for school, it's still counted? Or is it only if your employer counts you as full-time? Because usually they hire you as a temp worker if you're just there for the summer...

the province will no longer deduct the value of a student’s car from their loan, nor will it limit how much students can earn during the school year without triggering a loan reduction.

that doesn't say anything about earning anything in the summer though, each following convention I suppose isn't in the school year.

...better remember to funnel my savings elsewhere then....

this adds a new wrinkle to the entire RESP (paid for with after tax income) vs paying for your children's education out of your corporation as employees (which is pretax). I am trying to find out how they define partime, and what that means as income per hour as well.

Is there a good site anywhere that actually explains how osap works? I'm trying to juggle full time work, savings/rrsp/tfsa...

Does anyone know how often they audit or ask for receipts? How do I deal with a free room in a relative's house?

Well the osap site itself and its calculator are the best way to,start

The check for sure with to you tax returns - that is easy to confirm. They actually don't have particularly good ways to track things otherwise.

Free room? Doesn't impact the amount other than the fact you are not on a campus residency.

Archived