Premed 101 Forums

Mccqe Part 1 Failed

Just go to western med and find the snobbiest guy, and it's probably him.

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to find out who the poster is over the net. Someone told me about a poster on student doctor forum that got into a very prestigious school (Harvard, maybe) and then made a racist post on the forum. Someone figured out his identity and alerted the school. His acceptance was revoked. 

Because sometimes I can't resist piling on...

They did raise the cutoff score - but in all honestly - passing the exam is pretty easy by all standards.  I'm almost curious what medical school you went to - because people passing medical school and failing what is essentially a gimmie exam, is very concerning.  I've looked at the typical questions on the exam from the Toronto Notes( from my cousin) - and even I could answer a reasonable portion with only a medical sciences undergrad degree!!  And 2/3 of the exam is based on a only a few short chapters (peds, public health, obs/gyn, psych) - give me 2 months with the Toronto Notes, and I bet I could pass the written exam without even touching medical school (though the oral version of course I would be destroyed by).

Before you unleash yourself out on the world of real live patients, you should seriously consider taking your profession seriously and study hard.

While the MCCQE 1 isn't difficult to pass, I don't think it's a very straightforward exam. You need to take studying for it seriously. I mainly did practice questions, albeit ones meant for the USMLE Step 2 CK. That was because Toronto Notes is a terrible, superficial reference which at best functions as a refresher for material you might have already learned. 

And, forgive me for saying so, but pre-clerkship med students don't know very much, and it takes a while for clerks to function in hospital let alone get good at it. So I'd drop that condescending, arrogant attitude right now because it will not come off well in the future. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know. 

Otherwise, people do fail MCCQE 2, CCFP, and Royal College exams. It is always a setback, but people recover and move on. The trick is that these exams get harder as time goes on, but you are trained to a certain standard and study accordingly. 

Are you seriously writing this as a premed lol? If so, lets recap:

The OP, to get to the point where he passes the LMCC needs to: Study a bit more next time, waste some money on a rewrite.  Otherwise, no consequences, and his chances of success are basically 100%.

For uwopremed to get to that point he needs to: f-ing get into med school, write many tests, match to a residency program, all of which have much higher failure rates and he is much less likely to accomplish.  Chances of success maybe- 10%?

To the OP: you don't even need to tell your program, I sort of wish no one had given you that advice as its not true, atleast in Ontario.

Hey

Thanks for the posts. 

I am in Ontario, So you are saying there won't be any consequences affecting my residency? I did notify my postgrad office, and they have not responded to my email at all. I wonder if I have done myself harm by notifying them?

Hey

Thanks for the posts.

I am in Ontario, So you are saying there won't be any consequences affecting my residency? I did notify my postgrad office, and they have not responded to my email at all. I wonder if I have done myself harm by notifying them?

I think you should probably ask your school (as in your med school not residency school about this).

We just got an email about the massively increased national failure rate and it said that people who fail can start residency but may have practice limitations (such as getting prescriptions signed off on). Maybe that's just Alberta though...

I think you should probably ask your school (as in your med school not residency school about this).

We just got an email about the massively increased national failure rate and it said that people who fail can start residency but may have practice limitations (such as getting prescriptions signed off on). Maybe that's just Alberta though...

This is not true everywhere. For some, not only is residency postponed in best case scenario, but you do NOT receive your M.D. degree that you have already earned until you pass.

This is not true everywhere. For some, not only is residency postponed in best case scenario, but you do NOT receive your M.D. degree that you have already earned until you pass.

Yah, in Quebec. I was responding to the person who said that there were no repercussions and op should not tell their program.

French schools in QC require the mccqe1 to graduate. When i was looking into how important this exam was at McGill, I read their website and it does say that you must pass either the mccqe1 or the usmle step 2 ck to graduate. However, this is definitely not the case and they tell us so. They should probably update the website. 

i'm also pretty sure that in most programs you don't need your prescriptions signed off. mccqe1 is a requirement for full licensure, not for basic resident duties, in most scenarios. 

• 2 years later...
On 2015-06-17 at 3:43 PM, uwopremed said:

They did raise the cutoff score - but in all honestly - passing the exam is pretty easy by all standards.  I'm almost curious what medical school you went to - because people passing medical school and failing what is essentially a gimmie exam, is very concerning.  I've looked at the typical questions on the exam from the Toronto Notes( from my cousin) - and even I could answer a reasonable portion with only a medical sciences undergrad degree!!  And 2/3 of the exam is based on a only a few short chapters (peds, public health, obs/gyn, psych) - give me 2 months with the Toronto Notes, and I bet I could pass the written exam without even touching medical school (though the oral version of course I would be destroyed by).

Before you unleash yourself out on the world of real live patients, you should seriously consider taking your profession seriously and study hard.

UWOpremed you are in dire need of some humbling. Go study your MCAT or whatever course you are taking...

PS. As a former TNotes author I have no problem saying that book is not indicitive of how you would do on the exam. Apples and oranges. 

PPS. To the original poster. The MCC exams are a "getting out of residency tax". They are silly. Don't over think their value. Treat the exam as what it is. Pass it before you finish residency and move on. 

Edited by rogerroger

• 2 years later...

I am a Paediatrician for 10years, trained and practicing in South Africa.

I just failed the QE1 by 2 points, that was a real shock to the system, it was alot more difficult than I expected.

I only used USMLE (5 books) and Qbank, any successful Canadian graduates willing to share information on how to pass and what study material to use.

I am rewriting in August.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Irwin

10 hours ago, Irwin said:

I am a Paediatrician for 10years, trained and practicing in South Africa.

I just failed the QE1 by 2 points, that was a real shock to the system, it was alot more difficult than I expected.

I only used USMLE (5 books) and Qbank, any successful Canadian graduates willing to share information on how to pass and what study material to use.

I am rewriting in August.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Irwin

I exclusively used Uworld and felt it was more than sufficient.