Premed 101 Forums

Contacting Preceptors Before Applying Through The Portal

Hey guys,

I have a question. I will be starting clerkship in August. I know that the Canadian portal for clinical electives does exist now. I am very interested in completing a clinical elective with UofToronto.  I wonder if it will look badly if I contact some preceptors (found on their department websites) to know the availability of dates before applying through the portal?

I have some specific dates for electives (July-August) , so that's why I want to contact the preceptors to know if they would be available to have me during that time. Any thoughts?  :) I am aware that July-August are the busiest months for electives, that's why I am a bit worried :wub:

Hey guys,

I have a question. I will be starting clerkship in August. I know that the Canadian portal for clinical electives does exist now. I am very interested in completing a clinical elective with UofToronto. I wonder if it will look badly if I contact some preceptors (found on their department websites) to know the availability of dates before applying through the portal?

I have some specific dates for electives (July-August) , so that's why I want to contact the preceptors to know if they would be available to have me during that time. Any thoughts? :) I am aware that July-August are the busiest months for electives, that's why I am a bit worried :wub:

Check with your school. I don't think you're supposed to do this, and there might be consequences for what is seen as "circumventing" the portal. I think that's the point of the portal. Or at least that's the impression I got from our talks on the subject.

Hey amichel,  I will check with my school definitely :) I am aware that I am circumventing the portal :P

Have you started using the portal? I am still a bit confused with it, but I will figure it out eventually :)

Check with your school. I don't think you're supposed to do this, and there might be consequences for what is seen as "circumventing" the portal. I think that's the point of the portal. Or at least that's the impression I got from our talks on the subject.

I tried the portal, and I can't apply no more than 9 months earlier. So that leaves 2 months of exploring with the portal. I will ask my school administration if it is okay to contact some preceptors before applying through the portal, I know that I am circumventing the portal. But due to my insecurity nature and my restricted elective schedules, I was hoping to have an answer before the portal replies :P

Thank you so much for everyone's help. If anyone has anything to say regarding the portal applications, please feel free to join!

Hey amichel,  I will check with my school definitely :) I am aware that I am circumventing the portal :P

Have you started using the portal? I am still a bit confused with it, but I will figure it out eventually :)

I tried the portal, and I can't apply no more than 9 months earlier. So that leaves 2 months of exploring with the portal. I will ask my school administration if it is okay to contact some preceptors before applying through the portal, I know that I am circumventing the portal. But due to my insecurity nature and my restricted elective schedules, I was hoping to have an answer before the portal replies :P

Thank you so much for everyone's help. If anyone has anything to say regarding the portal applications, please feel free to join!

It is confusing. And I completely understand your concern, just wanted to make sure you didn't do anything that could get you in trouble.

If you are applying to an elective at UofT (or any other school for that matter) I'm not sure you can contact preceptors directly AND go through the portal. From my understanding you are "NOT" allowed to contact preceptors outside your home school because each school has an elective office which will book you the electives when you apply through the portal, and they don't want students emailing preceptors. That being said you can always make a request and see if they allow for that. That being said you can try and see what happens as well.

Thank you for your reply. For now, I will wait to see what my faculty says about contacting preceptors directly at University of Toronto. 

I have some classmates who have phoned some of the Toronto preceptors for booking electives next year, and they didn't have any red flags or warnings. That's why I thought about emailing some preceptors.  I guess that it depends on the preceptors and on their flexibility, it is a risk game, I am aware of the potential consequences :P

If you are applying to an elective at UofT (or any other school for that matter) I'm not sure you can contact preceptors directly AND go through the portal. From my understanding you are "NOT" allowed to contact preceptors outside your home school because each school has an elective office which will book you the electives when you apply through the portal, and they don't want students emailing preceptors. That being said you can always make a request and see if they allow for that. That being said you can try and see what happens as well.

I would like to thank you everyone for his or her replies, it is greatly appreciated.

When I was in cegep, I always looked up to the forum and read all the med students' advices. I feel so glad to be a medical student today, and to offer help and still receive tips and advices from my future colleagues. Thank you everyone for making this forum useful and inspiring to all our future colleagues :rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply. For now, I will wait to see what my faculty says about contacting preceptors directly at University of Toronto.

I have some classmates who have phoned some of the Toronto preceptors for booking electives next year, and they didn't have any red flags or warnings. That's why I thought about emailing some preceptors. I guess that it depends on the preceptors and on their flexibility, it is a risk game, I am aware of the potential consequences :P

This may be because 99% of physicians are not aware of the new system.

That might explain, because some of the preceptors and their secretaries were very happy (at least not surprised) when my classmates called them up for an elective opportunity. Probably it were one of the rare occasions or perhaps they were in a good mood.  :)

This may be because 99% of physicians are not aware of the new system.

That might explain, because some of the preceptors and their secretaries were very happy (at least not surprised) when my classmates called them up for an elective opportunity. Probably it were one of the rare occasions or perhaps they were in a good mood.  :)

Yeah, I'm not sure how this works tbh. We were told by our home school NOT to contact preceptors from other schools directly and to book through the portal. Like I said I'm sure people to do it and get away with it so who knows.

Thank you for the information. I heard that a colleague contacted UWO directly and was blacklisted (the portal did exist back then :mellow: ). So there are consequences for contacting preceptors, it is a risk game. Thank you everyone for your help :)

Yeah, I'm not sure how this works tbh. We were told by our home school NOT to contact preceptors from other schools directly and to book through the portal. Like I said I'm sure people to do it and get away with it so who knows.

Just curious... which program/specialty did your friend contact? I find it VERY hard to believe that they would go to such lengths. Considering, that for many of us at Western, we had to go through an internal lottery for electives. And, when those didn't pan out... we contacted the appropriate people to see what could be arranged if possible. This seems to be the case for most people at their home institution. And I have heard of others doing it for other schools as well. 

Thank you for the information. I heard that a colleague contacted UWO directly and was blacklisted (the portal did exist back then :mellow: ). So there are consequences for contacting preceptors, it is a risk game. Thank you everyone for your help :)

I will ask that person and let you know  :)

It might take a bit time, since that person is already a senior clerk. I think that it really depends on the preceptors. Perhaps some are more flexible with the rules, and some are more by the book. I heard that if someone is not a UWO med student, he or she is supposed to go through the portal first, and not contact preceptors beforehand (it's a rule I heard)? Anyone could validate? I guess that each school is different. 

I still dislike the portal :P  I am going to look over it this summer. Hopefully, the portal will be in our favour :rolleyes:

Just curious... which program/specialty did your friend contact? I find it VERY hard to believe that they would go to such lengths. Considering, that for many of us at Western, we had to go through an internal lottery for electives. And, when those didn't pan out... we contacted the appropriate people to see what could be arranged if possible. This seems to be the case for most people at their home institution. And I have heard of others doing it for other schools as well. 

I think the difference here is that you went through the established system first, not circumvented it.

The point is to prevent people from getting electives over others because they know someone.

At your home school, that's different.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived