Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Scores Are Verified!

If you go to the "MCAT" section of your application (not "app status), you'll see all your scores and which ones they're using in the calculation. (Was I the only one paranoid that I mistyped my AAMC ID or something....?)

I had the exact same worry (despite checking it multiple times :P).

And I'll second the thanks for the updates. This wait is killer. 

If you go to the "MCAT" section of your application (not "app status), you'll see all your scores and which ones they're using in the calculation. (Was I the only one paranoid that I mistyped my AAMC ID or something....?)

LOL, I think I checked and rechecked that damned ID approximately 100,000 times. I also released my scores through AAMC multiple times out of sheer paranoia! Breathing easier now that they've verified!

How did everyone do? 

Esp on the CARS section, which is what is relevant here :)

Any OOPs? IPs? 

It's interesting learning to 'read' the scores with this new MCAT format :)

I scored a 508 overall and a 131 on CARS. 

My chemistry score was truly terrible and my biology wasn't great either... but both turned out better than I thought they would so I can't complain too much.

I'm IP.

Where do we check this??

If you login to UCAN, you'll see it in the MCAT section.

How did everyone do? 

Esp on the CARS section, which is what is relevant here :)

Any OOPs? IPs? 

It's interesting learning to 'read' the scores with this new MCAT format :)

I had a disappointing CARS score on the new MCAT (125). When I wrote the old MCAT, I had a 10 (both times I wrote the old one) so it was disappointing to get 125 this time around. If I'm not successful this year, a rewrite is in the cards for me unfortunately. 

All I can do is see what happens. Like itsalwayssunny said, c'est la vie! 

Anyone know if a 125 will be "equivalent" to an 8 or a 9 based on percentiles. I would feel so much better if it was a 9 considering I also got a 125.....I talked to many friends (all smart people-high GPAs) and most got between 124-126 in CARS, is it fair to assume the CARS average will decrease this year. I feel there is no way the average will be 127-128 (the equivalent of recent years)...maybe 126 will be the average accepted score??

I should explain my reasoning: 1) as everyone had to write the new MCAT this year very few had the chance to re write and get a amazing CARS score so I will feel we will not see many amazing scores and more low scores than usual 2) I know this is an extremely small sample size but I personally know 10 people all applying and only 1 has a score of above 127 however all have amazing GPAs so it made me think there has to be some external factor here...any thoughts

I'm also of the feeling that 127 = more like an 11 than a 10, when it comes down to the percentile score the U of C will give us... like you I'm just basing that on anecdotes and personal experience though, mostly. I've scored an 11 both previous times I've done the MCAT, and a 127 this time, and I haven't heard of that many people who did 128 or greater although of course there will by definition be some (I can't believe I've written it 3 times... ugh).

I don't think the average will be that low. Especially considering the OOP cutoff score was set at 127 and GPA of 3.8.

I am OOP with a 4.0 and 131 CARS score.

For OOP it was set to 127? 

I wonder how stringent of a cut off that'll be - considering the above posters saying many of their friends got 126 or lower.

I should explain my reasoning: 1) as everyone had to write the new MCAT this year very few had the chance to re write and get a amazing CARS score so I will feel we will not see many amazing scores and more low scores than usual 2) I know this is an extremely small sample size but I personally know 10 people all applying and only 1 has a score of above 127 however all have amazing GPAs so it made me think there has to be some external factor here...any thoughts

But it's a percentile ranking, no? So even if you should know a few people with lower scores this year, there would be a ton of people with higher scores too? Sorry for my ignorance!

For OOP it was set to 127? 

I wonder how stringent of a cut off that'll be - considering the above posters saying many of their friends got 126 or lower.

Their personal anecdote would be an example of an "availability heuristic" to use some of that psych/sosc terminology from the new mcat.  :P

I have a friend who got a 14 VR on the old mcat, so these anecdotes don't mean too much. There are people with high scores and of course many more with relatively lower scores. As long as your score is in a competitive range then you should be ok.

Does anyone know if IP and OOP are in the same pool for pre interview scores. Seems unfair to compare GPAs of IP who only had a 3.2 cutoff to OOP who need a 3.8, same regards to MCAT

I don't know for sure, but I doubt they are in the same pool as the cutoffs are different (like you mentioned). They also only accept a certain percentage of OOP (I think it's 15%), so they probably invite the top x of IP from that pool and the top y of OOP from their pool. I know that at U of A, they are definitely in different pools. I'm assuming that the same is true for U of C. 

I'm asking because I think I read somewhere (maybe on the application manual?) where it said both are in the same pool for pre interview. I didn't think much of it then, but now I realized how unfair that would be it were true. I hope I am wrong. I do know that 85%+ spots min are for IP though.

I'm in IP thankfully. I feel for those OOP who couldn't meet the 127 cutoff

Their personal anecdote would be an example of an "availability heuristic" to use some of that psych/sosc terminology from the new mcat.  :P

I have a friend who got a 14 VR on the old mcat, so these anecdotes don't mean too much. There are people with high scores and of course many more with relatively lower scores. As long as your score is in a competitive range then you should be ok.

Yes true. How helpful is it to have a score above 127 as an IP?

My understanding of what it said in the applicant manual was... you'd get a score of 100 out of 100 if your CARS score was the 'average' score...? Or something to that effect. 

But not sure how they'd do that differently, if IP and OOP applicants are evaluated differently when it comes to CARS scores.

Archived