Premed 101 Forums

Fam Med Pay + Future

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be clear here: When you say "lots", you are talking an absolute number of physicians. Not a relative number. The percentage of physicians billing 7 figures is very low (<1% I would guess). The amount seeing it as a take home income after business expenses is even less.

The key point of the long list: If you want to make lots of money, work privately. Money is much more plentiful outside of the public health system.

To be honest, most doctors I know (I'm in a surgical specialty so it's a lot of surgeons) could make more money than they currently are. But they'd rather make less and have a better lifestyle. There comes a point for most people where free time is worth a lot more than additional pay.

Lets be clear here: When you say "lots", you are talking an absolute number of physicians. Not a relative number. The percentage of physicians billing 7 figures is very low (<1% I would guess). The amount seeing it as a take home income after business expenses is even less.

The key point of the long list: If you want to make lots of money, work privately. Money is much more plentiful outside of the public health system.

To be honest, most doctors I know (I'm in a surgical specialty so it's a lot of surgeons) could make more money than they currently are. But they'd rather make less and have a better lifestyle. There comes a point for most people where free time is worth a lot more than additional pay.

yeah I mean unless you are pouring everything in to the job in order to retire early - and I mean really early - beyond a point you are not exactly doing anything useful. The running joke is you have to work so hard so you can pay for your spousal support payments.

If you want to enjoy life you have to actually have some free time in there somewhere :)

NLengr:

I think those billing over 1 million, INCLUDING PRIVATE BILLING, is actually quite a bit higher than 1% = probably 3-5% range.  In fact - more than 1% of all licensed doctors in Ontario billed OHIP more than 1 million - and that includes part time folks that barely work.   Toss in all the private billings we don't see - and we are talking quite a few more doctors.

In BC the percentage might be even higher.  The BC blue book shows how much every doctor bills.  Those over 1 million do seem to be more than 1% for sure. 

Archived