Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites Discussion 2016

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

were you in a different slot than Sunday morning? otherwise not sure what else I may have missed :D

Yup, that's right. I was in the Saturday PM group.

Any ideas as to when we'll be hearing back re: passing the interview? I know we're supposed to get emails about site preference sometime this week.

I gotcha fam! 288 interviewees total as I recall, 105 of them OOP. Bottom ~30% OOP and ~20% IP will be dropped in April. 

As far as i remember, Ziola said 104 out of province students are competing for 10 spots. 170 in province students are competing for 85 spots. That 170 includes 25 aboriginal students. He also mentioned that interview cut offs should be around 15% for in province, although the information sheet we were given suggests 15-20%. 

Goodluck!

I actually enjoyed the MMIs this time which is something I never thought I'd say (haha!). What gives me the most anxiety is whether or not my MCAT will be sufficient. When Dr. Ziola spoke of the academic reviews I've started second-guessing my chances. Nothing I can do now, though!

Was also a pleasure meeting a couple of OOP applicants Saturday afternoon! Hopefully the time flies by!

I think (but of course, could definitely be wrong) that your app would only be tossed on account of your MCAT if it was really uneven, or noticeably inconsistent with your GPA (e.g. a 4.0 bio major with a 5 bio section score)... other than that I really can't see why adcoms wouldn't include your app, since your score would be factored into your rank anyways. It would probably be a lot of effort for them to tease apart every score for some arbitrary degree of 'insufficiency', so I think it would have to really stand out from the crowd to get noticed. I also would have thought that this would be a pre-interview thing? But I guess maybe not, from the notes handed out post-interview.

My wild speculation for this year:

-Median cGPA (IP) will be just slightly lower than last year's, based on the reduced application requirement (75% compared to 78%)... I'm going to peg it at 82-83%

-Median total MCAT score (IP) will approximate the previous cut-off requirement, or slightly higher... ~28 (old) or ~504-506 (new)

On a different note, I wonder what came first, my neuroticism or this application process.

• 3 months later...

Hey MDA,

Unfortunately those of us who may be privy to how an MMI is/may be scored would be unable to comment on the specific paramater(s) that are assessed. As to your question about a pass/fail...if you fail one or two stations, that does not necessarily mean you will fail the entire MMI; one of the convenient aspects about the MMI is that your overall score is what determines whether you pass or not. Pass/fail is usually set by the Admissions committee depending on how many applicants are interviewed to meet a pre-determined number of post-interview applicants in each stream (e.g. IP, OOP, Aboriginal).

Archived