Premed 101 Forums

Western 2Yr Gpa Calculation

How does Western calculate your GPA if you overload? (6.0 vs 5.0) 

And do you still need 3.0 at the current or above or does that change to 4.0 courses to make 60% of the course load 

No you still need 3.0 at or above no matter now may courses you take. We on the forum call it the 60% rule but if you notice western actually never does. This is actually why :)

Oh and they will take your best 5.0 courses.

4th year works the same as 3rd year, where 3/5 FCE needs to be 3rd year and above, i think its because most programs don't even have that many 4th years to take.

Also if they take your best 5 courses, what happens if my best 5 doesnt include all 3.0 of the upper year courses?

what if you want to use 3rd and 4th year and you apply in the beginning of 4th year?

you would apply under conditional acceptance- they would use your single year to see if it is above cut off, interview you if you met that and the MCAT cut off and then potentially offer you an acceptance which would have a condition - your 4th year would also have to be above cut off when they check in June. 

4th year works the same as 3rd year, where 3/5 FCE needs to be 3rd year and above, i think its because most programs don't even have that many 4th years to take.

Also if they take your best 5 courses, what happens if my best 5 doesnt include all 3.0 of the upper year courses?

they aren't perfectly clear on the last point - by the phrasing it means your best 5.0 don't actually have to include the 5.0 courses. I would of course though be very careful with this :)

• 2 years later...
On 2/20/2016 at 2:02 AM, rmorelan said:

No you still need 3.0 at or above no matter now may courses you take. We on the forum call it the 60% rule but if you notice western actually never does. This is actually why :)

Oh and they will take your best 5.0 courses.

What if you have a pass or fail credit on overload, will they use the pass/fail credit over a grade (assuming the grade is your lowest one)?

Archived