Premed 101 Forums

Good Luck 2016 Nosm Interviewees

In my opinion, I am calm since I stay busy. Wake up in the morning, head to work, come home to my wife and kids, supper, playtime then bedtime. Repeat daily. Lol

As for my application, I didnt change anything except complete another B.Sc. I had a 3.0 from laurentian, assuming they took into consideration that I had courses over and above my degree. If not I only had a 2.96. I got a 3.91 on my second bachelors, plus the 0.2 from my masters so that gave me a 4.0.

I believe that during my first application cycle they simply rejected me based on my first gpa not meeting the criteria, since i wasnt done my second degree.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody really know why Medical schools in ontario are always so much later to let us know? All my friends have already back from Dental, Optometry, and even Medicine (Abroad), and it's driving me insane not knowing what I'm doing. 

I am just glad that 3 days of this 19 are going to be me driving back to NWO, it'll make it go by a bit quicker... 

I have fluctuated between "great", and "horrible" so many times when it comes to my interview, with my gpa on the lower side- Im relying on killing the interview!! 

I've still got one exam to go and a thesis paper to deliver, so thankfully I can focus on those and not on thinking about the interview over and over... There was one station where I can say it was horrible, a couple I thought were great, and the rest I don't know. 

haha, the latter and not the former. One of the stations/questions really hit home that day and I started crying while responding. Oy vey!!  :huh:

Oh wow, was it hard to shake that off and move on to the next station? I'm sure the interviewer could probably tell it wasn't nerves but what what you were saying that made you emotional and see the passion/emotion/sincerity in your answer.

How did you find interviewing at NOSM compared to Ottawa? I didn't apply anywhere but NOSM this year but if worse comes to worse, I will open my search wider next year.

Oh wow, was it hard to shake that off and move on to the next station? I'm sure the interviewer could probably tell it wasn't nerves but what what you were saying that made you emotional and see the passion/emotion/sincerity in your answer.

How did you find interviewing at NOSM compared to Ottawa? I didn't apply anywhere but NOSM this year but if worse comes to worse, I will open my search wider next year.

haha, I kept on trucking and apologized. tbh, I think it was one of my best stations?? Again, it was an issue that has affected me and my family very deeply, so I had a lot to say about it from a personal level and had a lot of examples to draw upon.  :)

I interviewed at McMaster. I liked how McMaster had 2 rest stations as I found I was getting tired during my NOSM interview and was using the 2 minutes to rest as opposed to prepare my answers. derp.

I will say that I'm disappointed NOSM with respect to their Aboriginal applicants. Considering their mandate and the patient population they serve, it's a bit surprising that only 2 seats are designated for Aboriginal applicants. And I found their Aboriginal interview prep day to be very bare minimum and completely disorganized compared to other interview prep days I've attended.

But I do appreciate the services they provide for their francophone students, like extra courses in french medical terminology and courses to encourage students to continue to practice their language. But I only found out about it while I was waiting in line for my french language test.... I see this as a strength for the program, but yet I learn about it in passing.

In comparison to McMaster, they have no 'limits' on how many Aboriginal applicants they accept. I think that's very forward thinking and it demonstrates their efforts to increase the Aboriginal representation in our medical community.

I will say that I'm disappointed NOSM with respect to their Aboriginal applicants. Considering their mandate and the patient population they serve, it's a bit surprising that only 2 seats are designated for Aboriginal applicants. And I found their Aboriginal interview prep day to be very bare minimum and completely disorganized compared to other interview prep days I've attended.

But I do appreciate the services they provide for their francophone students, like extra courses in french medical terminology and courses to encourage students to continue to practice their language. But I only found out about it while I was waiting in line for my french language test.... I see this as a strength for the program, but yet I learn about it in passing.

In comparison to McMaster, they have no 'limits' on how many Aboriginal applicants they accept. I think that's very forward thinking and it demonstrates their efforts to increase the Aboriginal representation in our medical community.

Sorry I got confused about where you interviewed, NeuroticDoodle. For some reason, I had thought you had also interviewed at Ottawa, not Mac, my bad.

At the summer session I went to where they talked about the application process, they actually clarified the Aboriginal seat number. The two seats refers to the MINIMUM number of seats that they will fill with Aboriginal applicants...it doesn't refer to a maximum. In fact, most year, if you look at their percent breakdowns in their demographics, usually more than two aboriginal students are accepted. So it's not a limit. Most schools don't have a minimum, but NOSM has a minimum to ensure that there is always some Aboriginal representation each year.

I agree with you that they don't market the french opportunities they have as much as they should. I also really think there should be an option for a French stream like Ottawa has if they truly want to attract as many top French Northern applicants as possible. Because although I am not Francophone, I have a lot of friends who are and who would rather be learning everything in French, especially with a very technical field like medicine where communication of that jargon, and not just the jargon itself, is also a part of the process of becoming adept at what you're doing. I would imagine though that they have constraints around resources and enough interest in the small class size to justify allocating dollars to have a French stream, and to have enough staffing etc to be able to have such a stream.

What is the Aboriginal interview prep day you are referring to? I didn't realize there was such a day.

Regardless of reserved seats I think NOSM has tried very hard to engrain principles of equity right into their admissions process, which may or may not be even more important than reserved seats. Many of the other schools just seem to pay lip service to equity and diversity without actually having policies that reflect that. For example, NOSM is one of the only schools that gives students a second chance regarding a second degree. This makes a huge difference when individuals may have transitional difficulties. Many of my peers when they started out in university, were just leaving there rural/remote communities for the first time to live on their own. Also, it appears to be one of the only schools that recognizes a combination of online, distance, and part time courses which goes a long way for applicants who wish to study in their home communities, or have difficulties studying full-time. Mcmaster seems to be one of the worst for diversity/equity. All grades, ever, no escaping them regardless of circumstances. Comparing that to NOSM, NOSM seems to have some of the most forward thinking policies that hopefully make medical education more accessible.

As a medical student just finishing up my time at NOSM, I would like to clarify the point about there only being two spots for Aboriginal applicants. That is a bare-minimum, and in my class we had well over the two spots filled - as most classes do. If you look at the stats on the NOSM website, you will see that there are usually between 3-6 Aboriginal students in each class.

Good luck with your interviews.

The point that I was trying to make is that if there are 26 Aboriginal applicants at McMaster that meet the requirements, then all 26 of those applicants have pretty much a shot at Mac. So yeah, when comparing McMaster to NOSM re: Aboriginal applicants policy, I really like McMaster's approach.

Also, if NOSM were truly reflective of the population, then they would have 13% Aboriginal students each year, as opposed to 5-8%. They had 11% their first year, but that's the highest its ever been.

2 reserved spots, not two spots max. Each year it is usually far more than 2. Perhaps 2 isn't enough (I would argue it is indeed not enough). Nosm is a fantastic place that really does strive for equity in all aspects of its work. It tries harder in this regard than any other school to my mind. You're all going to love it here.

oh anesthete, when I read you're line "you're all going to love it here" my hear almost skipped a beat (OK, as corny as that sounds) because it sounded so definitive, for a moment I actually let myself picture myself there even without the decision revealed. I am sure I would really enjoy it. And that I want it for the right reasons. Which makes waiting for May 10 that much more unbearable but also thinking of May 10 painful too because there is no way to think of that and feel OK so I am trying really hard not to. Didn't honestly think it would feel like this with time going slower and slower when we started this process back in October. October to January was long but I guess it went by much faster because I wasn't thinking/focusing/hoping as much. Now, it's kind of being dangled in front of ya so I guess it's to be expected.

Sounds like you're having a great experience at NOSM. What's your favourite part?

Getting in was the best day of my life.

A relief in so many ways.

Enjoy the lead up to may 10. Revel in it. Do non medical things. I spent the last two weeks leading up to it researching (for the 1000th time) the stats and my chances. I regret that. It will literally be the last time in your life that you aren't at least in some way, associated with "being in medicine". Explore what that means to you for a bit. It eases the wait.

NOSM is a fantastic school. By far and away the best part is SCS and CIL - the Thursday clinical skills sessions and the Tuesday community clinical placements.

By the end of first year we have learned the complete abdominal, cardiac, respiratory, neuro, and MSK clinical physical exams and have spent 30+ hours out in the community learning from professions as diverse as cardiac surgery, OT and genetic counselling.

I'm excited to see the new cohort have the same fantastic experience as I have.

If any of y'all have questions, I'm an open book

That sounds so awesome.

How did you feel in the two months post interview? Did you feel good coming out and then start re-playing it, maybe questioning things? Or did you just feel confident the whole time before decisions? Once you got in, did you ever with your classmates look back on the process and did you find that what you had experienced was something that most people experienced? Is there something in the interview (or even pre-interview) process that you felt set you apart?

When you say that you spent the last two weeks researching your chances, I mean that`s something we can all relate to. I am going to remember what you said about thinking of non-medical things. I am trying to spend some time outside of work (and I work in a completely non-medical field) trying to pursue hobbies that I haven`t really had time for in the last little while. It`s a bit hard to not sometimes get distracted and then my mind wanders to you-know-what, but I have pretty much accepted that this comes with the territory but instead of letting myself get too into it, your comment reminded me that I need to actually put some effort into taking my mind away from that and enjoying other parts of life now. So thanks for your post, even though we know this stuff, it`s a powerful thing to be reminded again from someone who has been through the process and can see it now from the other side.

Just curious, are you in the Thunder Bay or Sudbury campus? I know technology is used to bridge the two campuses, but in terms of actually going to each other`s campus physically at any point in the four years, is there any component like this?

What might a community clinical placement look like? Like where would you do it (if you have an example, that would be great), how many students with you, what would you be doing, is there any post-placement (or pre-placement) work or reflection to do before or after each Tuesday?

Sorry for all the questions! I do also want to say thanks for frequenting our thread even though you`re past this process now...it`s really nice when people come back to offer some support and guidance to those of us who are going through it and that`s something I hope to do too if I get in.

Enjoy the lead up to may 10. Revel in it. Do non medical things. I spent the last two weeks leading up to it researching (for the 1000th time) the stats and my chances. I regret that. It will literally be the last time in your life that you aren't at least in some way, associated with "being in medicine". Explore what that means to you for a bit. It eases the wait.

Wise words.  This really resonated with me.

How is everyone holding up now post-interview and with 10 days to go? Tomorrow is May 1st, people!

This will be the last full week before decisions are out....sort of hard to believe...because I am pretty sure in my 27 years of life, the last 8 weeks have been the longest ever of any 8 week period...exactly 8 weeks today since I interviewed

Rural_Roots, I recalled reading an old post of yours a while back when decisions came out last time that you were setting in motion a back-up plan? Did you decide on what that would be? This is on my mind a bit too. Has the waiting process and feelings during the wait changed at all for you from the first to this application cycle?

While you can't always rely on your gut feeling, I felt quite confident that "this year was my year" after my interview.

I had been waitlisted very, very high (precariously, as a matter of fact) the previous year, so it may have just been that this last application was that extra 1 degree of something (whatever it was) that I needed. And I got it. And it felt great.

I had prepared endlessly for the interview, and my background was exceptionally helpful in answering the interview prompts. I walked out of the interview really comfortable and confident. I wouldn't have changed anything about it - and I think that's an attitude that comes from being sure you showed your best self more than out of overconfidence. Being able to have a space to speak openly about your life, your experiences, your perspectives (in 10 different scenarios!) really gives you opportunity to show yourself. It can be daunting, but the feeling that you get when you know you put your whole self on the table, and now it's up to them to decide if they want it... is a great feeling. During my interview actually, there was a fire alarm that had gone off and we all had to evacuate. Stressful though it was at the time, I loved the experience - it was really something else!

We look back a LOT as a group actually. The stages leading up the acceptance letter are actually quite formative, I feel. Everybody has their own story and we've all shared our experiences in those lead up days. You'll see everybody in the class had at least some degree of apprehension, self-doubt, and worry mixed with excitement in those days. We were all in the same river, even if we weren't in the same boat.

To answer your other questions, technology is indeed being used to bridge the campuses... which works sometimes more than others, but is generally quite effective. All students meet up during Orientation Week, Academic Week (an academic spring break during March that is full of workshops on one campus or the other) and the first year students go to one of the two campuses for sharing circle after we all get back from our community placements in May.

Community clinical placements are meant to expose you to interprofessionalism in all its shapes and forms. You go in groups of 2 pretty much everywhere that is in some way related to health. People have been with optometrists, dentists, surgeons, psychologists, family physicians, internists. You are guaranteed one placement with a physician during each year. But the other experiences are also pretty phenomenal. What you get to do depends. I scrubbed in to surgery, went to people's homes for home care visits, shadowed a number of different types of clinicians to see what they do for the day... it is the best part of the first two years, hands down (except for SCS). Tons of time for reflection, formally as well as informally.. You'll see quickly that many students dislike this. I actually enjoy it and find it helpful and necessary and I encourage others to actually take time for it.

Happy to answer any questions - NOSM is AWESOME, I wish you all the best of luck in joining our class!!

Archived