Premed 101 Forums

Good Luck 2016 Nosm Interviewees

How is everyone holding up now post-interview and with 10 days to go? Tomorrow is May 1st, people!

This will be the last full week before decisions are out....sort of hard to believe...because I am pretty sure in my 27 years of life, the last 8 weeks have been the longest ever of any 8 week period...exactly 8 weeks today since I interviewed

Rural_Roots, I recalled reading an old post of yours a while back when decisions came out last time that you were setting in motion a back-up plan? Did you decide on what that would be? This is on my mind a bit too. Has the waiting process and feelings during the wait changed at all for you from the first to this application cycle?

9 days left! We're almost there!

I applied to both Mac's PA program and several nursing programs as my backup this year.  I have been invited to interview for the PA program and got an early acceptance to my first choice of nursing programs (Trent's compressed Bsc Nursing- 28 months). So there is comfort in knowing that things will move forward in some regard come fall.

That said, I can speak to what anesthete wrote above about feeling like I left it all on the table during my interview; who I was, what I do, and the things that are important to me.  I reflected very briefly, within a day or two, on my interview performance.  Then I haven't really thought about it since.  Which is a first for me.  It's difficult to know why for the first time, exactly, on my fourth time through this process, I haven't been a crumpled ball of anxiety during this waiting period; my mind has been well occupied as I moved gradually over three weeks into a cabin on a lake, and seek great comfort in chopping wood each day and yelling at the squirrels to get out of my birdfeeder.  So maybe that's why.  I also learnt so much volunteering alongside a NOSM preceptor at an FHT this year, an experience that has been incredibly rewarding and encourages me that I'm on the right path.  So that probably helps as well.  Or maybe, just maybe, there's something I feel deep inside, for the first time, that's speaking the same words that were spoken to anesthete: "this year is your year."  And maybe I'm daring to believe it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R_R, I hope you are right about that voice and it works out for you! (and for all of us, wouldn't that be nice!)

Guys, we are getting there...incredibly slowly, but surely....we are now less than one week away! In a week from now, we are all either going to be celebrating, or drowning our sorrows and mustering up the strength to do this again. I have next Wed off from work (although I do work the actual day of decisions on Tues) so I will be taking my time and processing. I'm sure I'll be on here quite a bit either way...

Also they take our names off so that interviewers and application reviewers don't see our names (just the OMSAS number that we had stickies for at the interview)...I wonder if they have to send the numbers to OMSAS and then OMSAS give them the corresponding names or schools already have them but it's just the admin that has them at each school and not those making decisions...

Well here we are everyone, tomorrow is the big day.  Just want to thank you all for any contributions you made over this cycle to the NOSM forum, discussion is important and gives us all a sense of support through a stressful process .

I have posted the format for stats tomorrow in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread. 

Wishing you all the best of luck! 

RR

I echo RR's sentiment....oh lord..we are so close to decisions now...my heart has been beating pretty fast all day, don't know if I'm the only one....even seeing the stats template out on A/W/R that RR posted made my heart skip a beat...I can't believe it's actually going to happen...I dread it and also want it to be over at the same time so that I can finally know either way...and start recuperating from the incredibly intense year that this has been.

It appears the waitlisters are being notified first prior to offers of acceptance/rejection.  Also, for the first time, and rather maddeningly, they have not revealed the waitlister's rank.  I am, for the fourth year in a row, a waitlister.  Sigh.

In the same boat as you, although I was really rooting for you. 

It appears the waitlisters are being notified first prior to offers of acceptance/rejection.  Also, for the first time, and rather maddeningly, they have not revealed the waitlister's rank.  I am, for the fourth year in a row, a waitlister.  Sigh.

I'll let you be the first one to try- Tell me what they say :P

Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow. I doubt they will,  but it's worth a phone call.

Also, maybe our ranks will be in the email updates coming after the 24th.

Good luck to everyone awaiting emails! For those who are accepted, there is a Facebook group: NOSM Meds '20, which is how everyone tends to communicate until the school year begins. There are several other NOSM students in the group so feel free to ask questions etc. To those of you who are unsuccessful this year, there is always next year. There are a lot of students at NOSM who applied multiple times before gaining admission.

All the best!

Archived