Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers Post Interview

It's possible they emailed the verifiers and they didn't respond. It would make sense to call them as the next step.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure whether or not to get into contact with my verifiers.

CD.flamy, can you confirm whether or not they were references AND verifiers? Or just verifiers?

Agreed! It could be that after several emails, they decided to call the verifier. HOWEVER, this is quite unlikely because the verifying step should be done prior to interview (or, at least, I think so).

I think it might have been the references that were contacted (those who filled the reference/recommendation forms). This option is very likely. If they do get contacted though, it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I guess it's up to CD.flamy to confirm this.

It was a verifier for a very significant (3000+ hours) activity

She already confirmed via email, however, UBC phoned again to double check, which went smoothly

I guess that makes sense, cuz it is really easy to fake verification via email

A friend of mine also got verified in March

I am guessing the panel is meeting to make final decisions

Suspicious activities = flagged, and require secondary verification

But I'm not worried, I was 100% truthful on my application (except an honest mistake on duration, but I still got interviewed)

She already confirmed via email, however, UBC phoned again to double check, which went smoothly

But I'm not worried, I was 100% truthful on my application (except an honest mistake on duration, but I still got interviewed)

Thanks for clarifying it.

I was truthful on my application as well but the problem is that some of my verifiers might no longer remember the details of my activity and phoning them but not be the best idea since they may not be able to answer on-spot - that's what worries me to be honest.

I also agree that the panel is meeting to make the final list since my friend got an e-mail asking for more info with regards to his application (things that could have been clarified pre-interview but were not!)

Thanks for clarifying it.

I was truthful on my application as well but the problem is that some of my verifiers might no longer remember the details of my activity and phoning them but not be the best idea since they may not be able to answer on-spot - that's what worries me to be honest.

I also agree that the panel is meeting to make the final list since my friend got an e-mail asking for more info with regards to his application (things that could have been clarified pre-interview but were not!)

I couldn't agree more with this! I feel the same way

Really interesting!

I have a concern where one of my verifiers for a high-yield activity (4000+ hours) doesn't really speak English that well and might be confused if put on the spot with a phone call..

(I provided both e-mail and phone number)

Do you guys think that if the admissions committee contacted them, and subsequently had doubts to the activity because of the language barrier, if they would give me a chance to clarify before completely disregarding the activity? This is really stressing me out haha. 

Really interesting!

I have a concern where one of my verifiers for a high-yield activity (4000+ hours) doesn't really speak English that well and might be confused if put on the spot with a phone call..

Do you guys think that if the admissions committee contacted them, and subsequently had doubts to the activity because of the language barrier, if they would give me a chance to clarify before completely disregarding the activity? This is really stressing me out haha. 

I heard if they are completely unable to contact your verifier, then they contact you. I may be wrong... I don't really know what happens in the event there is a language barrier, though...

The admissions team is actually quite friendly and fair!  If they have trouble speaking/contacting your verifier after multiple attempts, they don't consider that a bad thing.  Unless they get a definite "No, this applicant is not truthful on this part of the application" or something like that from a verifier, they don't deduct any points or reject that applicant.  As InstantRamen has mentioned above, they do contact you as a last resort to ask you for, perhaps, another verifier that can confirm your activity or something of the like that will give you a chance to clarify some things up.

Probably, an activity of including or over 3000-5000+ hours is very rare.  If I was on the admissions team, I too would likely contact the verifier to make sure everything is in order.  But don't worry guys -- adcom is quite friendly and realistic.  They know that calling a verifier might not be expected from the verifier at all.  They will try their best to clear things up.  If that is not possible, they will contact you to let you know.

Really interesting!

I had a situation earlier in the cycle where a verifier could not be reached (spam foldered emails). UBC gave me every opportunity to get them in contact with the verifier and handled the problem in a very understanding way--I was grateful they did not just mothball my app.

If you go here and select "Non-Academic Criteria": (http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/)

The second last paragraph says "Verifiers for non-academic experiences (including activities and employment history) can be contacted at any time from the date of application submission until mid-April of the following year."

We should be in the clear folks.

Do you think it means anything if you haven't heard of verifiers being contacted post interview?

Yeah, I was wondering about this too - whether it might be a good thing if your verifiers were contacted post interview (because it would mean the interview hasn't ruled you out). I don't believe any of my verifiers were contacted post interview... so am hoping this is not the case!

I don't think contacting verifiers post-interview is relevant to whether or not you will be accepted to the program. There are some people that are super clear when they write their activities in their application. As for others, not so much -- maybe it's not their fault since there is a short, limited space. As a result, the latter applicants' verifiers are contacted to make things more clear. I don't think it has to do with an applicant's admission decision directly.

Archived