Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letter Reading After Interview?

Hey all, I noticed something today that I was curious enough about to open a pm101 account to ask :P.

I didn't know until now that reference letters were only read and verified AFTER the interview and I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on the reason for it? It just seems kind of interesting to me that they would invest time and resources into candidates without knowing that they make the references cut. Maybe it's a logistical thing where there's just not enough time to get through the references by interview weekend?

Any insight is much appreciated :)

The flip side is that why read all those letters if you only care about the people who you've made offers to. And as pointed out, most people are likely to pass. Therefore, from a time efficiency perspective it makes more sense to do it this way. It's also probably part of the reason it takes a while to get our decisions

The flip side is that why read all those letters if you only care about the people who you've made offers to. And as pointed out, most people are likely to pass. Therefore, from a time efficiency perspective it makes more sense to do it this way. It's also probably part of the reason it takes a while to get our decisions

Hey all, I noticed something today that I was curious enough about to open a pm101 account to ask :P.

I didn't know until now that reference letters were only read and verified AFTER the interview and I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on the reason for it? It just seems kind of interesting to me that they would invest time and resources into candidates without knowing that they make the references cut. Maybe it's a logistical thing where there's just not enough time to get through the references by interview weekend?

Any insight is much appreciated :)

Keep in mind that these reference letters are used for a different reason (more as a "rule out") compared to other schools that are using them for a character assessment and "rule in". This way they save time reading less letters. 

- G 

I'd like to echo UCpls' comments. My assessors told me that they haven't had a single person receive a "Fail" mark of the letters they read. That being said, however, I am pretty sure they only read the letters for those who are seriously considered for acceptance, i.e. the top 30% or so.

Archived