Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

I know exactly what you mean, but I won't worry too much yet. If it's early June and I still haven't heard anything, then maybe I'll worry a little bit!

even with Dr. Ziola said that the top third is accepted every year. i am worried about something different could happen this year only because i am in the top third !!!!

i wish all the best for all of you.

I have the exact same feelings... Worried that this year will be different, but we have no reason to really think that it will be! Sending all of you positives thoughts over the weekend and good news for the upcoming weeks!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the exact same feelings... Worried that this year will be different, but we have no reason to really think that it will be! Sending all of you positives thoughts over the weekend and good news for the upcoming weeks!

I won't worry too much for now. There was no mention of wait list movement in last year's wait list thread until June 4th for users of this platform. So hang in there. What will be will be.

A friend of mine who was in the top third of the waitlist (IP) got in last Thursday so waitlist movement started! I hope you all hear good news soon!

Awesome, guessing there will be more emails going out this coming week.

Heard from a person that there has been 5 taken off the waitlist so far. Not sure how reliable but it's hopeful!

Hello Trix290;

You mean the IP waitlist or the OOP waitlist ????

What you mean by taken off???, you mean these 5 were offered seats or they took themselves from the waitlist because they got offers somewhere else ????

I'd suspect Trix means that 5 people from the waitlist have been offered a seat. Also given that most discussion between us is from the IP pool, it's probably from the IP waitlist. But I'd desperately like it to mean 5 people have removed themselves because I feel like my chances are dwindling!

I'd suspect Trix means that 5 people from the waitlist have been offered a seat. Also given that most discussion between us is from the IP pool, it's probably from the IP waitlist. But I'd desperately like it to mean 5 people have removed themselves because I feel like my chances are dwindling!

For 5 people to be offered seats means that the list is moving toward you. For 5 people removed themselves from the list could be helpful only if they were before you in the list. If they are after you, will not make any difference.

It still feels like the waitlist is moving really slow, which makes me think unlike last year where 24? People were offered seats from the wait list, this time it'll be much, much less.

It might feel that way, I'm sure in previous years it also felt that way too. The albertan schools still have some time for decisions and the final decisions for uofs still haven't even closed yet. I suspect the largest wave of waitlist offers will be out after the deadline for uofs has closed. Even though I am guilty as charged for worrying too I just dug out my interview fact sheet and it says that every person on the top third has been offered a seat in the last 9 years. No reason to think this year will be different, right? Let's keep supporting each other through this. I have a good feeling that things will start to move soon!

The deadline to accept offers at both UofA & UofC (maybe Ontario schools too) is Friday, so there may be more movement in the next few days as people make their final decisions!

the deadline for Ontario schools closed yesterday and historically most weren't notified of offers from the waitlist until the subsequent Friday. Then those people have a week or so to accept or decline. In a way we are fortunate of the timing because most other schools deadlines are before uofs and that means more pressure on Others to accept a seat elsewhere. It feels like a huge game of musical chairs!

You raise some good points, sasquatch. Since the OOP MCAT cutoff was so high this year, I would be surprised if most OOP applicants didn't get an offer from additional schools. Also, did the CoM not run all the way through the OOP waitlist a year or two ago? I'd suspect an applicant from another province would be more likely to stay in their own province rather than move to Saskatchewan unless this was their only acceptance. Wonder how things will play out. Just trying to keep my mind busy.

Thank you bio1123!

I stumbled across this document referenced in the University of Alberta waitlist thread that I thought some of us here may find useful. It lists stats for each Canadian medical school including how many people decline their offers each year. I can't comment on if it's total offers declined or only IP, but it may help.

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionsBook2016-Final-EN.pdf

Thank you bio1123!

I stumbled across this document referenced in the University of Alberta waitlist thread that I thought some of us here may find useful. It lists stats for each Canadian medical school including how many people decline their offers each year. I can't comment on if it's total offers declined or only IP, but it may help.

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionsBook2016-Final-EN.pdf

There were less offers declined last year than years before?

05]There were less offers declined last year than years before?

I believe that was the case. If I recall correctly -- at least for IP -- this past year they went through the top third, and two years ago they went through top and middle third; though I may be mistaken.

Archived