Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone;

I have a Q;

In the last year, they went only through the top third (10) ???, I know that they took all the 24 in the IP waitlist???

Last year  (2014/15) made it through to bottom third. IMO, last year had more than 24 IP slots but only had 24 people on the wait list hence 2 unfilled slots taken by OOP. We will have to wait to see what this year brings. Next week will certainly be a huge week for wait list movement - IP and OOP

I believe that was the case. If I recall correctly -- at least for IP -- this past year they went through the top third, and two years ago they went through top and middle third; though I may be mistaken.

Last year they took all 24 off the waitlist. They did not have enough to fill the waitlist to 30, from the people that pass the interview. They had a total of 26 declines in province. Lack of people in province, they took 2 extra from OOP. They went through all of the waitlist, i am pretty sure about that. That's the reason they increased the waitlist number, as well because MCAT makes it likely that more people will decline this year than last. 

Hi guys, there's something that has been bothering me since day one of being waitlisted (IP). While I'd like to believe that there's no reason to expect less waitlist movement than previous years, I cannot help but think of the following:

From what I imagine, most IP declines depend on acceptances else where.

Now for the applicants this year, there seems to be three things that are different-

1.the GPA cutoff is lower

2.the MCAT is required, but no cutoff

3.there is encouragement for ppl with lower stats to apply due to last year's stats

Given these, and the fact that the MMI is a large determining factor in one's acceptance, yet not correlating with one's stats - I would expect there to be a larger proportion of applicants who are accepted to have lower stats, and thus not having multiple acceptances.

Therefore, I'm afraid that the will be less waitlist movement than previous years.

Can someone please prove me wrong?

Thanks!

Hey Ecilaa,

I know exactly where you're coming from and I've been in --and admittedly still find myself drifting into -- that state of mind. While no one knows for certain how many applicants will come off th waitlist this summer, let's remember that upwards of 8-10 people have probably been taken off thus far. Last week there was allegedly ~5 people offered from the waitlist already; in addition, one user of this forum declined their offer this Friday, and an individual in my program (but a year below) submitted their withdrawal from the program to begin medicine this fall. This suggests to me he/she may have been offered a spot off the waitlist. If we assume 1-2 addition acceptances we on the forum don't know about, this gives us around 10 spots or so off the waitlist already.

Let's also keep in mind this is even BEFORE the last day for initial acceptances which is this Monday. I would be willing to guess there will be more movement over the next week and into June. Some people take longer to decide than others. Regardless of what we know and don't know, all we can do is sit and hope that the next few weeks work out in our favour and support one another. Try to do things that take your mind off being on the waitlist, and if worse comes to worse, you've got an upper hand come next application cycle.

i think that those who have the lower stats are waitlisted and not offered seats yet.we have 45 in the IP waitlist this year.

just what i think.

if we looked to the stats of the accepted candidates, will see that their stats enable them for miltiple accrptances.

i think the only difference between this year and the last year is the lower GPA 75 down from 78. and the higher pass mark of the MMI to be 19 percentile instead of 12.

just i am guessing.

Hi guys, there's something that has been bothering me since day one of being waitlisted (IP). While I'd like to believe that there's no reason to expect less waitlist movement than previous years, I cannot help but think of the following:

From what I imagine, most IP declines depend on acceptances else where.

Now for the applicants this year, there seems to be three things that are different-

1.the GPA cutoff is lower

2.the MCAT is required, but no cutoff

3.there is encouragement for ppl with lower stats to apply due to last year's stats

Given these, and the fact that the MMI is a large determining factor in one's acceptance, yet not correlating with one's stats - I would expect there to be a larger proportion of applicants who are accepted to have lower stats, and thus not having multiple acceptances.

Therefore, I'm afraid that the will be less waitlist movement than previous years.

Can someone please prove me wrong?

Thanks!

Are you top third too?

Hi all,

Thought I'd list myself here as another top third waitlisted applicant - beginning to wonder if any of the speculation of offers being made is true? There seems to be a number of us on here with no confirmed offers...Anyway, things will hopefully start moving shortly.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hey Ecilaa,

I know exactly where you're coming from and I've been in --and admittedly still find myself drifting into -- that state of mind. While no one knows for certain how many applicants will come off th waitlist this summer, let's remember that upwards of 8-10 people have probably been taken off thus far. Last week there was allegedly ~5 people offered from the waitlist already; in addition, one user of this forum declined their offer this Friday, and an individual in my program (but a year below) submitted their withdrawal from the program to begin medicine this fall. This suggests to me he/she may have been offered a spot off the waitlist. If we assume 1-2 addition acceptances we on the forum don't know about, this gives us around 10 spots or so off the waitlist already.

Let's also keep in mind this is even BEFORE the last day for initial acceptances which is this Monday. I would be willing to guess there will be more movement over the next week and into June. Some people take longer to decide than others. Regardless of what we know and don't know, all we can do is sit and hope that the next few weeks work out in our favour and support one another. Try to do things that take your mind off being on the waitlist, and if worse comes to worse, you've got an upper hand come next application cycle.

Very true! Thank you for the advice and always being so resourceful (btw, your reply sounds like a perfect MMI response :P).

Are you top third too?

Yes.

Anyone hear anything yet? Seems so quiet around here, especially because it seems that there are at least 4 of us here in the top third.

Maybe they are just taking the day to process everything? I even went camping in the bush this weekend away from cell service - shoulda stayed out there a few more days! Here's to good news soon guys!

Anyone hear anything yet? Seems so quiet around here, especially because it seems that there are at least 4 of us here in the top third.

Maybe they are just taking the day to process everything? I even went camping in the bush this weekend away from cell service - shoulda stayed out there a few more days! Here's to good news soon guys!

Still (impatiently) waiting! Today was th last day for initial offers to be accepted or declined, so I'm hoping there's some movement this week.

To be honest, for whatever reason, it seems like there will be very few offers given to people on the waitlist this year. If you look at the waitlist thread from last year, people were already getting offers who were in the middle third this time last year. Yet it seems like we haven't even gone half way the top third this year...

To be honest, for whatever reason, it seems like there will be very few offers given to people on the waitlist this year. If you look at the waitlist thread from last year, people were already getting offers who were in the middle third this time last year. Yet it seems like we haven't even gone half way the top third this year...

I'm inclined to agree... I'm still going to hold onto some hope for another week or two and then start getting ready for an MCAT rewrite.

Let's hope tomorrow (being June) is the start of a new dawn. Last year, most offers off the wait list on this forum started coming in first week of June.

I know it is a  pain to wait but anything could still happen. All the best

I'm inclined to agree... I'm still going to hold onto some hope for another week or two and then start getting ready for an MCAT rewrite.

I'm going to have to rewrite the MCAT as well, but I just can't get myself motivated to start prepping. To think I have to start all over again..

Has anyone been brave enough to send an email asking for an update? I was hoping that they would at least let us know how many people have confirmed and if they are still working their way through the list of not...

I did that last night ;)

So I got no reply from the office.. Would it be too much if I called?

I'm sure they'll get back to you soon! I have a feeling they're busy trying to move people to their preferred site that might not have been previously placed at their site of preference, and are giving those individuals a few days to confirm a site change before giving away the seats to any new people! Or at least that's what I've been telling myself lately to help calm my mind a bit :D

Archived