Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

Very good points raised - let's also remember that Medicine convocation was yesterday so I imagine they've been busy with some administrative work with that as well - although I'm sure the admissions office functions somewhat separately from the UGME office. Everyone's optimism is also making me feel better.

This upcoming Monday would also been the week deadline for initial waitlist offers to be accepted or declined so maybe there will be mor movement (if we assume there was some in the first place)?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I emailed the office again this morning basically checking if I can receive their emails, and Sherrill replied with an update about the waitlist:

'We have not had much movement on the wait-list as we are awaiting deferred examination results and the outcome of an appeal hearing prior to moving on any further offers.'

Any thoughts?

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I emailed the office again this morning basically checking if I can receive their emails, and Sherrill replied with an update about the waitlist:

'We have not had much movement on the wait-list as we are awaiting deferred examination results and the outcome of an appeal hearing prior to moving on any further offers.'

Any thoughts?

Does that mean, that they are holding back the movement on the waitlist because they are waiting on some students to finish deferred exams who were offered conditional acceptance. Not sure what the appeal is? (perhaps students who got rejected, appealed to be re-examined?

If this is what it means, then its a good thing. They are just holding back offers, to clarify other things and most top thirds will be offered together.

It could also mean, not a lot of people have declined, so there isn't much movement. If this was true then the later part of the response doesn't make sense. 

What do you guys think? 

Someone must have written a deferral exam (basically an alternative final exam) so they're waiting for the final exam results for that. Appeals usually aren't successful unless there is some extreme evidence or something.

I'd expect a little more movement at least.

Does that mean, that they are holding back the movement on the waitlist because they are waiting on some students to finish deferred exams who were offered conditional acceptance. Not sure what the appeal is? (perhaps students who got rejected, appealed to be re-examined?

If this is what it means, then its a good thing. They are just holding back offers, to clarify other things and most top thirds will be offered together.

It could also mean, not a lot of people have declined, so there isn't much movement. If this was true then the later part of the response doesn't make sense. 

What do you guys think? 

My exact thoughts!

I find that this could either mean:

1. They already have some wait-list offers to give out, but they are not giving them because of the deferred exam and appeal hearing.

2. They currently do not have anymore wait-list offers to give out, and thus are waiting on the deferred exam and appeal hearing to possibly give out more offers.

I can't decide which one makes more sense. On the one hand, to '...move on [to] any further offers' seems to suggest that there are already offers that can be moved on to; but on the other hand, why would deferred exams or an appeal hearing prevent them from giving out offers in place of declined seats?

Or are there any other possible interpretations?

Oh man I'm starting to doubt my ability to understand the English language...

My exact thoughts!

I find that this could either mean:

1. They already have some wait-list offers to give out, but they are not giving them because of the deferred exam and appeal hearing.

2. They currently do not have anymore wait-list offers to give out, and thus are waiting on the deferred exam and appeal hearing to possibly give out more offers.

I can't decide which one makes more sense. On the one hand, to '...move on [to] any further offers' seems to suggest that there are already offers that can be moved on to; but on the other hand, why would deferred exams or an appeal hearing prevent them from giving out offers in place of declined seats?

Or are there any other possible interpretations?

Oh man I'm starting to doubt my ability to understand the English language...

A friend of mine was accepted late into Medicine this cycle (May24th), as he was writing deferred exams. 

They are so vague though.. like cmon!

I had a feeling that there was some sort of administrative hold up, but I'm still confused as to why it is preventing offers from going out. So what are they meaning by deferred exams?

1.Students who applied and need to write exams in order to be accepted? or

2. Students who deferred last year and who are still writing exams?

And an appeal, would that be someone who gogt rejected initially and who is appealing their decision?

I guess it's nice to know that there is legitimately something that is holding up wait-list offers, but it's also disheartening to know that it may be a while longer before we hear anything at all - depending on how this all pans out!

I had a feeling that there was some sort of administrative hold up, but I'm still confused as to why it is preventing offers from going out. So what are they meaning by deferred exams?

1.Students who applied and need to write exams in order to be accepted? or

2. Students who deferred last year and who are still writing exams?

And an appeal, would that be someone who gogt rejected initially and who is appealing their decision?

I guess it's nice to know that there is legitimately something that is holding up wait-list offers, but it's also disheartening to know that it may be a while longer before we hear anything at all - depending on how this all pans out!

1. It's most likely students who were in their 4th year that deferred an exam in second term. As it states in the application manual, those students in their 4th year applying need to maintain a 75+ overall average in their second term. I believe deferred finals are written sometime in mid June, so they won't find out what their final overall mark is until sometime late June / early July.

2. As far as the appeal, it's most likely someone who got rejected due to professionalism. Those are the ones that usually appeal, and have a decent chance of getting accepted. 

The only thing that doesn't make sense, is why not give out other offers to students, and just reserve x number of seats for those writing deferred finals/appealing. 

1. It's most likely students who were in their 4th year that deferred an exam in second term. As it states in the application manual, those students in their 4th year applying need to maintain a 75+ overall average in their second term. I believe deferred finals are written sometime in mid June, so they won't find out what their final overall mark is until sometime late June / early July.

2. As far as the appeal, it's most likely someone who got rejected due to professionalism. Those are the ones that usually appeal, and have a decent chance of getting accepted. 

The only thing that doesn't make sense, is why not give out other offers to students, and just reserve x number of seats for those writing deferred finals/appealing.

That's what I was thinking too. If they know they have x number of seats that "may be" required if students pass their exams or if the appeal goes through, why not just offer the remainder of the seats to the waitlisted applicants. Unless there would be some issue with scoring and ranking that they would need to sort out in regards to grades and exams etc...

So I decided to be a pain in the butt (for the sake of all of us here on the forum:))and asked for clarification about the last update, and here's what I got-

We expect some movement; however, it is still early to determine whether it is comparable to other years.

Btw my exact question was this-
I was wondering if you mean that a lot (i.e., comparable amount to previous years) of wait-list movement is expected regardless of the outcome of the deferred exams or appeal hearing? Or are you saying that any more movement at all depends on it?

So I decided to be a pain in the butt (for all of us here on the forum:))and asked for clarification about the last update, and here's what I got-

We expect some movement; however, it is still early to determine whether it is comparable to other years.

I was wondering if you mean that a lot (i.e., comparable amount to previous years) of wait-list movement is expected regardless of the outcome of the deferred exams or appeal hearing? Or are you saying that any more movement at all depends on it?

You are awesome!! Thank you! Now the question is... WHEN! Let's all hope soon!

So I decided to be a pain in the butt (for all of us here on the forum:))and asked for clarification about the last update, and here's what I got-

Thank you! 

What do they mean "early to determine", they should have at least a few declines by now and could tell us that:

"x number of applicants have been accepted, these many more offers are being considered by applicants on the waitlist at the moment. This many people did not pay the deposit, but there could be further declines". 

But nope. "Some movement, try again later". 

Their lack of explanation sure can be frustrating at times, but I'm sure they're very busy and also don't want to get our hopes up. It seems promising that there will be some more waitlist movement; however it now becomes a question of when -- and of course how much. I can't help shake the feeling that I'm 15/15 on the top third waitlist and my chance might never come (sorry, just letting off some steam). I guess only time will tell. Hopefully at least some of us will be classmates this fall!

Their lack of explanation sure can be frustrating at times, but I'm sure they're very busy and also don't want to get our hopes up. It seems promising that there will be some more waitlist movement; however it now becomes a question of when -- and of course how much. I can't help shake the feeling that I'm 15/15 on the top third waitlist and my chance might never come (sorry, just letting off some steam). I guess only time will tell. Hopefully at least some of us will be classmates this fall!

haha i feel like I'm 30/30 and will never make it since its never gone that deep. Then again i could be 16/30 and make it. 

Well fingers crossed!

Do they ever email us telling us what decile we scored in on the interview??

They did a couple years when I was rejected outright, but I haven't heard anything about finding out for this year. Maybe once the class is finalized those who weren't accepted might find out?

They did a couple years when I was rejected outright, but I haven't heard anything about finding out for this year. Maybe once the class is finalized those who weren't accepted might find out?

Do you remember around what time you found out about the scores? Is it possible that the same delay that seems to be affecting a lot of people getting offers off the waitlist could be delaying the release of those scores? Or do they always send them out after the class is finalized?

Archived