Premed 101 Forums

Applied To 18 Schools Mid-July, Mostly Haven't Heard Back

AAAmeds

Hey yall,

I have applied to 18 schools, and completed all the secondaries by mid- to late-July. I have decent stats (3.97 GPA and 35 MCAT) and ECs, and was hoping to hear back from some of the schools very soon. However, it has been around three months since then, and I still haven't heard back from MOST of the schools (so far, I have only received one hold and one rejection - silence from 16 schools).

I emailed all the schools back in September to inquire about my status and they all replied back with the typical response - "your application is under review!". I also sent an update letter about my new job to all the schools earlier this month hoping that would result in a decision one way or another.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to keep waiting as IIs are running out. Should I start calling the schools? send LOI? etc?  :confused:

Thanks yall 

I can understand your frustration, but I would not call or send LOIs at this time. It's still relatively early and I don't see how it could do you any favour, to be honest. Last year when I applied to US schools (19 of them) I received 1 interview invite and that came near the end of December (the interview was held in January). A lot of people were accepted who interviewed around the same time as me. So you'll have to be patient, unfortunately, as you might hear back a little later but it doesn't affect your chances all that much in the end. If you haven't gotten any news it simply means you're still being considered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey yall,

I have applied to 18 schools, and completed all the secondaries by mid- to late-July. I have decent stats (3.97 GPA and 35 MCAT) and ECs, and was hoping to hear back from some of the schools very soon. However, it has been around three months since then, and I still haven't heard back from MOST of the schools (so far, I have only received one hold and one rejection - silence from 16 schools).

I emailed all the schools back in September to inquire about my status and they all replied back with the typical response - "your application is under review!". I also sent an update letter about my new job to all the schools earlier this month hoping that would result in a decision one way or another.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to keep waiting as IIs are running out. Should I start calling the schools? send LOI? etc?  :confused:

Thanks yall 

You are panicking way too early, in my opinion. If you don't receive one by the end of November, then you should be more concerned. Most (if not all) schools will not have invited half of their quota yet. 

You chose CWRU over Calgary and Dartmouth?? 

I did yeah. You sound super surprised. 

Dartmouth has a great name (undergrad) but the medical school is similarly ranked to Case. I think the clinical experience is likely worse (really only DHMC locally and its very rural; some specialties not well represented (e.g. neurosurg)). Also received more $$ to go to Case. 

Calgary is great for certain things... but I had two people at UofC recommend I pick a US school for my particular interests. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did yeah. You sound super surprised. 

Dartmouth has a great name (undergrad) but the medical school is similarly ranked to Case. I think the clinical experience is likely worse (really only DHMC locally and its very rural; some specialties not well represented (e.g. neurosurg)). Also received more $$ to go to Case. 

Calgary is great for certain things... but I had two people at UofC recommend I pick a US school for my particular interests. 

Great choice, you'll be well served by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived