Premed 101 Forums

November 2017 DAT Thoughts

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, KdentB said:

For all who scored >20 for RC what resources and method did you use?

I got really lucky because I decided to switch my method the week of my DAT, I wasn’t consistently getting good results reading the whole passage through. I read half of the passage, skimmed the first sentence of later paragraphs for key ideas, then answered the questions with faster search and destroy. Ended with a 23 after averaging 18-20 on bootcamp

2 minutes ago, toothfairyhopeful said:

I got really lucky because I decided to switch my method the week of my DAT, I wasn’t consistently getting good results reading the whole passage through. I read half of the passage, skimmed the first sentence of later paragraphs for key ideas, then answered the questions with faster search and destroy. Ended with a 23 after averaging 18-20 on bootcamp

I said this was a hot ass method but people posted "noooo you have to read the whole passage etc etc etc". 

1 hour ago, KdentB said:

For all who scored >20 for RC what resources and method did you use?

I just used bootcamp to study. I haven't used other resources so I can't compare it but I thought the passage topics and difficulty were similar. The actual questions on the DAT were easier even though I did worse than on my practice :P

As for method, I like to go through and read all the questions for a passage first, then skim read the article answering questions I remember as I go along, then search and destroy for whatevers left.

RC 21

Bio 23

Chem 26

Science: 24

AA: 23

PAT: 20

First time writing the DAT, was pretty surprised by my scores. Thought I would have done way worse on the Bio and RC, but better on the PAT. Still really happy though! Also I know i'm in no position to give out advice, but I basically just studied using BootCamp, Kaplan Blue Book, and Cliffs. I'm a pretty fast reader but for RC I never read the passages and just used search and destroy. For me, the passages are just way too long to be able to read them and still retain the small details they ask, so I had to try other methods

32 minutes ago, runescapelover0292 said:

for some reason i cant seem to download my DAT transcript, i keep getting an error, does anyone else have this problem?

Yeah mine isn't showing up anymore. Happened last year too according to the 2016 thread (see here http://forums.premed101.com/topic/93057-thoughts-on-the-november-2016-dat-exam/?page=6). I believe it's so they can upload the November scale and next time they should be sending out an e-mail when the scores are available.

10 hours ago, straight_teeth said:

RC 20/AA 21/PAT 18

For my first time writing the DAT, and considering I thought I would get <15 on RC and PAT when I walked out of the exam, I'm happy with my scores. Posting my scores In case anyone is feeling discouraged looking at the incredible some students have. 

It was my first time writing as well and felt the same way about RC and PAT. Overall glad I didn't get any 15s too!

6 minutes ago, spalding said:

You just have to refresh the page that has the scale and the Nov scale should show up

Yeah, that's right. 
When you first open the pdf page, it is Feb 2017. Once you refresh the pdf page (https://www.cda-adc.ca/_files/becoming/dat/student_access/DAT-Score-Scale.pdf), it should magically change to the Nov 2017 scaled score.

2 hours ago, rocmarc said:

Some of the scaling is so different from the Feb one they had up yesterday. So weird how some schools have certain cutoffs when the scoring isn't even consistent 

I’m sure their method is consistent but it would change from year to year based on number of students writing and how many students received each score. You can already see that many more people wrote in nov compared to the feb test from the scale someone kindly posted from feb. 

2 hours ago, rocmarc said:

Some of the scaling is so different from the Feb one they had up yesterday. So weird how some schools have certain cutoffs when the scoring isn't even consistent 

I agree, you can tell the PAT was a lot harder this test. 20 for example is the 72nd percentile in feb and the 82nd percentile in nov.

Archived