Premed 101 Forums

Am I reading this wrong?

2 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

https://ontariopathologists.org/ontario-pathologists/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2018-01-03_GISoft_Tissue_UHN.pdf

Is uhn looking for one pathologist to be an expert in both gastrointestinal AND soft tissue path?

That's ridiculous. That's like wanting an internal medicine doctor to be a gastroenterolorheumatologist. 

Wow that is unbelievable.  They legitimately are asking for fellowships in both too. 

4 hours ago, Lactic Folly said:

Are there any foreign trained doctors who might have multiple fellowships? 

It's actually the "creative rostering" comment that caught my eye... first time I've seen that in a job ad.

i bet theyre hoping to get one of the huddled masses from the states.

those fellowships have NOTHING in common!

And creative rostering is corporate bullshit to say that youll do free research and admin work on weekends and holidays on top of clinical duty.

I cannot leave this field soon enough. the huddled masses can have it. heed my warning prospective pathology people.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, GrouchoMarx said:

https://ontariopathologists.org/ontario-pathologists/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2018-01-03_GISoft_Tissue_UHN.pdf

Is uhn looking for one pathologist to be an expert in both gastrointestinal AND soft tissue path?

That's ridiculous. That's like wanting an internal medicine doctor to be a gastroenterolorheumatologist. 

They have someone in mind with this posting.  It was obviously crafted to suit a particular applicant.

I guess when you expect to receive so many applications for a single job position, you can be as demanding as you like in terms of the expertise you would like your ideal candidate to possess. Many would kill to get that job at the UHN though. I've seen ENTs and urologists willing to pursue multiple MSc and fellowships in order to get those UHN jobs. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

http://cap-acp.org/careers.php?ID=634

A companion piece.

Dermpath plus call plus frozen sections plus spending a week per month in Timmins.

If you're thinking pathology, shake it out of your head and just do family. Two years and you get the same income but better job flexibility

Any idea if the time in Timmins and call results in additional compensation above the Ontario minimum salary?

1 hour ago, midi said:

Any idea if the time in Timmins and call results in additional compensation above the Ontario minimum salary?

Aside from MAYBE paying for your gas mileage (not your lodging, just gas) I would doubt that there's payment beyond that. That is what I have heard from other people who have done remote work in pathology. 

Pathologists in ontario are not paid for call. any work on the weekend or after hours is done for free. they say that it is 'part of the contract'

Pathology is very bad for this. Hospitals pay pathologists, not OHIP, and they have a vested interest to get as much out of each pathologist for as little money as possible. Since pathology has low standards, a lot of pathologists will accept whatever deal they're given without question. I bet this position has at least 50 applications from pathologists from all over the world.

People should not go into pathology. i dont even know if i can recommend it as a backup for the match anymore after seeing these baffling job ads. youll be competing for scraps with everyone in the world.

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, goleafsgochris said:

I wish there were opinions like this on the negatives of other specialties on here.  Would really be useful to hear some "cons" for deciding med students (I remember in med school lots of specialties would try and sell themselves, but sometimes you didn't hear a lot of the true negative stuff)

I feel its my duty to warn people what they may be getting into.

• 1 month later...

I think may be there are some polarized the views on the topic, but yes job prospects in path are dim if you are looking in GTA/Vancouver. However, if you look elsewhere there are job postings across Canada in larger cities and regional centers (most of which are found by word of mouth instead of actual job postings). Really, it comes down to what is more important to you when deciding residency: location or the type of job. There is nothing wrong with deciding one or the other, but for path it is important to be aware that job opportunities are not as plentiful as Family Med, but we are no where near as abysmal as Ortho.

That job posting is most definitely targeted to a specific person, as it is way to tailored and reasonably excludes almost every single pathologist in Canada.

Archived